Dog frothing at mouth and twitching

AprilsBoy

Visit site
Hi,

I have a 7 month old Border Terrier Bitch. Tuesday night i picked her up from a Dog Day Care Centre (i have used them before) there was no waggy tail or excitement at seeing me at all (she normally wees when she sees me). Anyways i brought her home after doing the horse and she still was very quiet and making grunting noises.

I had a look over her and noticied that all her paws were weeping and cut open (around and inbetween pads) so i bathed them in warm salty water.

Yesterday she was still very quiet but not as bad. Last night i went and picked her up from my friends as i had been at college after work. I noticed straight away something wasnt right. She was frothing at the mouth, twitching, shaking and chewing her tongue.

I called the vet straight away and took her there. By this time she couldnt walk 4 steps before her body twitched and she started frothing and catching her breath. Vets have done blood tests and came back fine other than high glucose levels. Shes been in all night and they are doing more tests today.

I just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience?

She is normally a very healthy happy little thing and it was horrible to see her like that.

Thankyou

Dobermonkey

Visit site
I only say this based on the weeping pads/cuts. Are they doing kidney function tests? Not to be alarmist (althougth am sure you are beside yourself anyway) but the number of cases of the mystery 'new forest' condition (the name of which escapes me now!) does have 'lesions on feet/legs' as a symptom.

Fingers crossed for your little one x

Have you told the day centre centre? I would let them know in case it is something that she has picked up there.

Dobermonkey

Visit site
Another thought, speak to the day care centre and ask what they use to clean the floors. It may be something powerful that has irritated her feet, she licks her feet and ingested some causing the frothing etc?

AprilsBoy

Visit site
Yes the vet actually mentioned that as he has treated a dog with the disease before. Not sure what the blood tests covered but he did mention about kidneys.

I called them yesterday morning about the cuts to her paws (before she took a turn for the worst) and they were so rude. I was shocked i only asked them if she had eaten anything or done anything unusual. The answer was dogs play and what are we supposed to do about it! Put it this way she will not be going back

Meems

Visit site
How worrying, hope she's feeling better today and the vets have an idea of what's up with her.

Dobermonkey

Visit site
I would be paying them a visit. Perhaps they had been mopping the floor and left the bucket out all supposition but given there reaction id be straight round there. my moneys on shes licked something off her poor feet and ingested it. some form of cleaning chemical ?

AprilsBoy

Visit site
Just had an update from vet. She hasnt been twitching as much but she is still drooling and foaming from mouth. They have send blood and urine samples to the labs to check for anything. They also mentioned liver problems/epiliepsy. I think it is too much of a coincidence that she came home from Dog Care and she has been getting steadily worse.

I will be going in at 12.30 today on my lunch break to go and have some cuddles and the vet wants a chat.

Just wish i had some answers

SadKen

Visit site
It does sound like poisoning to me, and as others have said, the attitude of the day care place suggests they know something.

I would tell them to tell me everything they had done that day in detail, where they walked etc, and what chemicals they have in the building. And if they won't tell you, I'd be sure to let them know that I'd be talking about what had happened on social media.

I have walked my dogs over hundreds of different surfaces, and they are constantly playing; no cut feet. My little one ran 14 miles on rough gravel and he didn't cut his feet. There's something going on there imo.

Best wishes and vibes for your girl, I really hope they can find what's wrong and that she gets better soon.

NellRosk

Visit site
Do you know anyone else with dogs at the daycare centre to ask if any other dogs have been affected? I would definitely be paying them a visit, it sounds like too much of a coincidence to me. Keep us posted, hope she's okay xx

Saneta

Visit site
I hope a visit to the daycare centre might shed some light on the situation. You're not necessarily wanting to point the finger, but if they are using specific chemicals which could prove harmful to dogs, your vet needs to know exactly what he is up against so he can treat accordingly. If they won't give you this information, go straight to your local council and ask for their help, presuming that the day centre is licensed?
I'm sure I've read recently that Jeyes fluid can cause problems to dogs? No-one at your stables has been cleaning out have they? Also, didn't someone say a carpet cleaner sold by Morrison's was causing problems? Like a shake and vac type product?
Healing vibes coming your way for you and your little one xxxx

AprilsBoy

Visit site
went to see her at lunch time. Was really not ready for what i seen. Vet brought her to the room and she had just had a seizure and ripped the cathater out so obviously alot worse than what she was having last night. There was no recognition when i spoke to her and cuddled her can honestly say i am totally heartbroken.

Vets are treating her for toxins at moment untill bloods/urine results come back. They are talking about liver shunts, epilepsy, toxins to the brain. She will be staying there again tonight and has started on diazapramPossibly an MRI scan on her brain and CT scan on her abdominal area.

I really cant understand how such a life loving energetic puppy can go from that to unable to walk and interact in one day...
She means so much to me after loosing my old dog last year to stroke/dimentia. Just feel so helpless.
(excuse my poor spelling)

puppystitch

Visit site
I'm so sorry to read this and can only imagine how worried you are. I would definitely be visiting the day care people - tell them how bad she is and that the vet desperately needs to know if she could have eaten / licked somethings he shouldn't have. Fingers crossed for a full and speedy recovery :(

Spring Feather

Visit site
Oh I'm so sorry for you, how heartbreaking this story is. It really sounds like some sort of chemical or fertiliser poisoning to me. If it were me I'm afraid I'd be round the day care centre and asking many questions. If you are able to ascertain exactly what your dog has reacted to then the vets may be able to save her.

NikkiF

Visit site
How awful for you, so hope the vets can sort her out. As others have said, would be banging on the day centre doors, if they were truthful with you could save your little girl. xx

PorkChop

Visit site
I'm so, so sorry, you poor thing.

I really hope they find the cause, I cannot believe the response you have had from the dog day care, shocking.

I have everything crossed for you and your pup xx

loopiesteff

Visit site
Oh my god poor girlie :( thinking of you both and hope she makes a full recovery.

As for the day care - I'd be round there immediately wanting to know everything and anything, and if they refuse - then as someone else said - social media, local council, local NEWSPAPER!

Meems

Visit site
How very worrying, poor little mite, fingers crossed she turns the corner soon, what an awful time for you. Big hugs xxx

Dizzle

Visit site
Any news?

I wonder if it would be worth asking the vets to call the day care? They might realise just how serious this is, or just less rude, if they really cared about dogs they'd be willing to help.

Big hugs, I've got a BT myself and I couldn't cope if anything happened to him!

kal40

Visit site
Thinking of you both and hoping she has turned a corner and is over the worst

Huge hug for you too
Kx

Mellis

Visit site
How awful! They are such little toughies as a rule. Hope you both get to the bottom of this. Masses of stinks and hugs xx kennel definitely needs investigating, lack of understanding too polite for their response.