Dog owners tsk tsk

Cecile

Visit site
I am a dog, horse and livestock owner and I adore them all, with the changing views on dogs in this country and the bad publicity dogs and mainly dog owners seem to be getting on a regular basis, I envisage in years to come dogs will not be allowed to be off leads except in certain area's, this will be brought about by pressure from various groups and the reason for this surge in trying to change legislation totally boils down to idiot owners. If my dogs did not come back to me within a nano second of being told they would stay on a long line or one of those extending leads which non dogs owners call *Dope on a rope lead* and if I can't see my dogs they are not under control.

No-one must ever assume that they are so clever that their dogs are always under control, not sure what the person in the below link thought he could train but it didn't work that day...........

https://www.fginsight.com/news/news...ty-to-dog-attack-which-killed-36-lambs--17997

alainax

Visit site
Seemed the owner went down the stairs. The dog went half down the stairs, then back up, then buggered off along the ramp! Which looked like it came out at quite a different place from the stairs. Hope it didn't end up on the road or in that depot.

Lovely horse :) we cross a motorway bridge here but it's for cars so there's a bit more space!

SpringArising

Visit site
No I don't but my horse has 15 acres he can run around in with his 5 friends all day everyday if he wishes. As to my dogs they never go on leads, their recall is fantastic and they do not run up to anyone or other dogs whilst out walking, they certainly wouldn't attempt to approach a horse or any other livestock even though they wander through my fields happily with my horses and they take no notice of each other. I just wouldn't want a dog that could never be let of its lead becsuse I was unable to control its behaviour. The breed would not be for me.

Well it's a bit different when you have your own fields isn't it. Not all of us have that luxury and for those of us who live in urban/city areas, walking off-lead is rarely an option, never if you have an unpredictable dog.

Seems like you can't win! You get threads like this condemning dogs for being off the lead and then the other end where you're condemned for doing the responsible thing.

Clodagh

Visit site
Well it's a bit different when you have your own fields isn't it. Not all of us have that luxury and for those of us who live in urban/city areas, walking off-lead is rarely an option, never if you have an unpredictable dog.

Seems like you can't win! You get threads like this condemning dogs for being off the lead and then the other end where you're condemned for doing the responsible thing.

I don't mind if people choose to have dogs they can't let off lead. I feel mildly sorry for the dogs, but there are many worse cruelties. I personally would not have a dog that I cannot take for an enjoyable walk.

Laura2408

Visit site
I have a dog that I can't take out for an 'enjoyable walk' through no fault of mine or hers. She's a rescue and is petrified of other dogs.

I would also not want a dog like mine but unfortunately it's the way it is and I'm not about to chuck her in a rescue because she has to be walked on lead :(

I hate people who let their dogs run out of control scaring everyone else because they can't be bothered to teach recall.

SpottyMare

Visit site
I don't mind if people choose to have dogs they can't let off lead. I feel mildly sorry for the dogs, but there are many worse cruelties. I personally would not have a dog that I cannot take for an enjoyable walk.

You're making some fairly sweeping assumptions there, so I'll address them... :)
1. Choice - Both of my dogs are rescues. Sled dog rescues are bursting at the seams, there are huskies in pounds waiting to be pts, huskies in animal shelters, being dumped, sold on gumtree/preloved etc Game of Thrones and the vampire/werewolf franchise saw them become 'fashionable', and the puppies look like adorable little teddy bears. Then they grow up...and people realise how much work they are. As I have experience of the type, when I was looking for a dog, that's where I went. I can confidently say that both my dogs prefer my house and lifestyle to the rescue kennels (brilliant though they were). They are both very happy, settled dogs - and that's not just my opinion!

2. Cruelty(!) - interesting choice of word. It would be cruel of me to let my dogs off lead and risk them being run over, or shot by a farmer. It would be cruel to the livestock/cats/wildlife they would damage/kill. Not letting them off the lead? Not really. I think that letting dogs off lead makes the owners feel better, but having watched my dogs behaviour while running free in the secure fields, I don't think the dogs really care one way or the other.

3. Enjoyable walk - no need to feel sorry for my mutts. Our walks are very enjoyable! As I said before, they are on a 2.5m lead, that will expand to over 3m once the bungee part has stretched. They get to run around sniffing, dive into hedges, jump into water - all the usual doggy things. They're just attached to me - which also means I'm engaging with them, which they also enjoy.

SpottyMare

Visit site
Thank you, you paint a lovely picture of them and if they were all so lucky to have a responsible owner like you there would never be an issue with the breed, I suppose there are many breeds that some people just shouldn't own. Can't blame the dogs.

Indeed - humans are generally the root of the problem!

Clodagh

Visit site
I am glad your dogs have a happy life, I really just meant it would not do for me. I had to walk my MILs two terriers on a lead for 3 months and it drove me nuts.

dulcie_dustyxx

Visit site
Not a bother. I ride next to a dualcarriageway with plenty of dogs, most of whom I have to ASK to be put on the lead. This was nothing and I would have been happy in this situation.

SpringArising

Visit site
You're making some fairly sweeping assumptions there, so I'll address them... :)
1. Choice - Both of my dogs are rescues. Sled dog rescues are bursting at the seams, there are huskies in pounds waiting to be pts, huskies in animal shelters, being dumped, sold on gumtree/preloved etc Game of Thrones and the vampire/werewolf franchise saw them become 'fashionable', and the puppies look like adorable little teddy bears. Then they grow up...and people realise how much work they are. As I have experience of the type, when I was looking for a dog, that's where I went. I can confidently say that both my dogs prefer my house and lifestyle to the rescue kennels (brilliant though they were). They are both very happy, settled dogs - and that's not just my opinion!

2. Cruelty(!) - interesting choice of word. It would be cruel of me to let my dogs off lead and risk them being run over, or shot by a farmer. It would be cruel to the livestock/cats/wildlife they would damage/kill. Not letting them off the lead? Not really. I think that letting dogs off lead makes the owners feel better, but having watched my dogs behaviour while running free in the secure fields, I don't think the dogs really care one way or the other.

3. Enjoyable walk - no need to feel sorry for my mutts. Our walks are very enjoyable! As I said before, they are on a 2.5m lead, that will expand to over 3m once the bungee part has stretched. They get to run around sniffing, dive into hedges, jump into water - all the usual doggy things. They're just attached to me - which also means I'm engaging with them, which they also enjoy.

You said everything I wanted to but couldn't be bothered to, so thank you!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I am glad your dogs have a happy life, I really just meant it would not do for me. I had to walk my MILs two terriers on a lead for 3 months and it drove me nuts.

I totally got where you were coming from.

I walk a BC who I can only selectively walk off lead - so the occasions are far and few between. But she walks beautifully on the lead so it's never an unpleasurable walk.

MDB

Visit site
I watched this video. Personally I didn't see any problem at all. The dog wasn't particularly close to the horse. Perhaps standards are different in the UK, but here in spain I have to run the gauntlet to get out the village. My closest neighbour has 2 free roaming dogs, a mastin and a sheltie, the neighbour next to him has 6 dogs, a mastin, GSD, GSD cross and 3 viscious collies. When I go out I often have a pack of 5 or 6 of these dogs circling, barking, growling ay my mare, (on the public road) and they are all practically underneath her and chasing her tail and rear legs. It just seems to be the norm here. Dogs are loose and often viscious. If your horse cannot cope then you won't get out riding. I wish it wasn't like this but it is. But then I see videos like this one of the loose dog in the UK and I think perhaps the expectations of dog behaviour is a little too high. I don't see issue with loose dogs running close to or barking at horses -within reason - and at the same time I think horses should be trained not to freak out at loose, barking dogs. Dogs trying to attack are a different situation, but if my daily rides were like this video it would be heaven.
Oh but I was mightily impressed with the bridge crossing. Think I would have to have crossed on foot. Well done!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site

I don't only walk my dogs in my fields wherever I walk them, on the mountains, the beach or the local country parks they never go on a lead but yes you are right I am very lucky to live in an area where there is plenty of open spaces to walk dogs freely and frequently have a couple of miles of beach in the winter to our selves. Perhaps because of this I would find it intolerable to have to keep a dog on a lead at all times, I just wouldn't have a dog if that was the only option.

cobsarefab

Visit site
Couldn't watch video but any horse that would ride
Over that bridge without batting an eyelid is a superstar in my book. We put our dogs on a lead if we hear horses as that usually means some are coming towards us. Our dogs are all fine with horses but you never know what can spook an individual horse so we prefer to do it. My mare is absolutely fine with dogs and ours have been in the field with her and she loves them. TBH she's pretty chilled about traffic too. I think that owners should keep there dogs under reasonable control around horses as every horse is an individual and you never know there level of shall we say spookiness at first glance.

cobsarefab

Visit site
Have just read some comments on here about it being. Duel not to let dogs off leads. One of our dogs runs off when let off in an area that is not enclosed. I keep her
On a lead which is extendable and can honestly say she's not miserable at all. However if I let her off just for the sake of it and she ran off and got hurt she wouldn't definitely be miserable as would I she's slipped out of the garage one and I was scared stiff. Luckily I found her after five mins but I'd rather not go through that again. Sometimes I attach her to horses lunge line instead of lead and she runs about where she wants but I can get her back quickly.