Dog Passports......

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
Has anyone got any experience of these?

We will be getting Pickle a passport as our holidays will now be less far flung as hubby is refusing to leave her at home!! We like to take 3 week breaks and we are planning on spending time driving over to Spain, 2 weeks chilling out and then driving back. We are going to discuss it with the vet when she has her first vacc at 9 weeks old. I know that she has to be microchipped, rabies vacc and I think it takes about 8 months from start to finish??

Has anyone gone through the process and actually used the passport? Does it work ok?

Thank you :D

Last edited:

s4sugar

Visit site
I've got passports for cats.
The rabies vacc can't be given until after 12 weeks and my vet had all the documentation to hand.
The first stage cost £67 ( already microchipped) and titres are extra.

Most difficult part is finding a vet on the other side of the channel open when you need the pre return visit.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
Not sure what advice i have other than it is a NIGHTMARE!

really :eek:

We will be mainly travelling to the Costa Blanca. I have a friend over there who has horses (my girls half brothers and sisters :D) and I was hoping that her vet will be able to do the worming stuff that is needed....that was my way of thinking anyway!!

soloabe

Visit site
We had all the paperwork just fine. Went to paris for 2 weeks had a lovely time found a great vet who was recommended by the animal services at the airport everything went fine until we got back to the UK and he was held at Bournemouth airport because the vet in paris had missed his signature of one place on the paperwork. It took 4 months of appealing to various places to get him back.

Happened once on the way back to England from here in the US to but that only took us around 8 weeks to fix.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
God that is terrible :( poor doggie and poor you :(

We will be driving so fingers crossed if there are any issues it will be resolved French side as the know they check it all on that side and you just drive off UK side. note to self not to fly then!!

Ommadawn

Visit site
Make sure that when you come back to the UK you come via an approved route - not too difficult if you are driving - and be certain that the tick and tapeworm treatment is valid on the day you travel (I think this has to be done 48 hours before you come back, but don't quote me).

If you do get it wrong then your dog, sorry, Pickle (who is very cute btw!) could be banged into quarantine while the authorities check out all her paperwork, but you may be able to get 'early release'.

As far as i know it takes 6 months from the rabies vaccination before you can come into the UK - Your vet should be able to tell you much more...

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
oh crikey its all sounding very scary. Hubby would have a heart attack if Pickle got quarantined :( I've had a look on the Defra website and they have to have the tapeworm/tick thing done 24/48 hours before coming back in.

Maybe its not such a good idea and we should just start holidaying in a caravan!!!

I need someone who's done it successfully!!

Britestar

Visit site
First of all your dog must be microchipped. Then you must get a rabies vaccination. Its is not recommended in pups of less than 12 weeks.

28 days after the rabies vacc, you need to go abck and have a blood test for titres. This may take a while to come depending how busy the labs are. The result must be over a certain amount. If you dog fails the test, you have to vaccinate again (at your expense) and repeat the blood test 28 days later.

You then get your passport, signed and stamped, and you get the orignal of the titre test result. Your Vet will keep a copy.

The most important thing is that, even though you have a passport, your dog/cat may not freely move in and out of the UK until six months after the date of the vaccination that produce the pass result. This is where many get caught out.

Also, makes sure you know how often the country you are visiting requires boosters. The Uk requires you re-vaccinate every 3 yrs, but many others countries including Spain require yearly boosters. Don't get caught by this.

Each country you visit will have different requirements, so check with DEFRA for each country reguarding parasite treatments etc.

Hope that helps

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
Thank you - I'm still very worried now, not so sure its a good idea. Worried sick that the vet will do something wrong with the tick/tapeworm thing and Pickle will get thrown in prison :(

MurphysMinder

Visit site
A lot of GSD people pop back and forth to the continent for shows, mating bitches etc (Evie was conceived in Germany), and I have only heard of very occasional cock ups so I would think you would be okay as long as you do your research. It might be worth finding a vet who has experience of issuing passports, so they know exactly what is needed, and also could put you in touch with others who have taken their dogs abroad.

s4sugar

Visit site
If your dog does fail to get in due to incorrect flea tick treatments prior to returning it may only be quarantined until these are completed this side + paperwork + weekends so a week in quarantine. (very expensive as you have to add approved transporter and call out fees)

This also applies if you use a non approved route.

I know that when the pets passport came in I got quite a few new boarding clients as they had always holidayed in the UK and got the passport to go further afield.

After all the hassle and travel they decided to fly next time.