Dog walking is dangerous!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
And here we go again! I have been infection/anti-biotic free for 10 days but had a very disturbed night last night and have had to start taking anti-biotics again. At least I have them at home and don't need to bother ringing anyone about them, which is very useful on a Sunday!
A different pin has decided to have a go this time, although 3 of the others that have been involved before are still a bit 'icky'. I haven't been able to go to my friend's walk in shower today because of the snow (and now ice) but don't think I would have felt up to it today anyway.
And I haven't got dressed today! I shall be going back to bed soon to try to catch up on some sleep.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It can't come soon enough!
I vaguely remember being told on the ward that my appointment at the end of 4 months would be 23rd Feb. That hasn't been confirmed yet and I could have remembered it wrongly but definitely the end of Feb. Frame nurse said they would x-ray, it would probably be 'loosened' if the consultant thought it was progressing well. She also said that some people have a GA and others don't - I can't remember what she said happens if you don't have the GA. But i was told 4-6 months and the discharge papers suggested a fit note for 6 months. I told my GP that I didn't need that, as I was working for home!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
i really feel for you, what a long time to be laid up.... hope the 23rd gives you good news

It wouldn't be too bad, if it wasn't for the recurrent infections, which don't happen to everybody. I have just been unlucky and, of course, Covid really hasn't helped. Under normal circumstances, I would have had regular appts with the Fracture Clinic and physio but for safety those haven't happened. I have to say that LGI and the rest of the NHS have managed to keep me safe and Covid-free under some very difficult circumstances. Although I am completely fed-up now, it could have been worse and without the infection I was getting about very well, without crutches round the house and quite confidently on the few occasions that I have been outside - but that is very weather dependent.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm not surprised you're fed up, most people would be going out of their minds by now. I never realised before you did this how long those frames stay on for! (Or what an infection risk they are).

I hope you get some sleep today.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
:)
I'm not surprised you're fed up, most people would be going out of their minds by now. I never realised before you did this how long those frames stay on for! (Or what an infection risk they are).

I hope you get some sleep today.
Thinking of you and hoping you feel a bit more the ticket in the next day or two. I cannot imagine how fed up you must be. You are a proper stoic and I think you've sounded amazing throughout.

Thank you both.
I think this time it's got me down more than before because I felt that I was doing very well as far as mobility was concerned - and this is a set back, as it is painful. Also, because they were available on Sunday, I am taking the a-b's that the hospital gave me on stand-by rather than requesting the ones from the GP that I prefer.
The ones I am taking have to be taken at double dose and they do affect the digestive system and also seem to give me an uncomfortable headache for an hour or so after each dose. Also the fact that there is a very complicated dosing regime as they have to be taken on an empty stomach while the others have to be taken with food is a pita too. And ime these are no more effective than the others. But they are the ones that LGI prefer for some reason.

Some people don't have any problem with infection, apparently but I do have very sensitive skin, so maybe that's a factor. I could do with some sleep, I had another disturbed night, last night but my temperature has dropped back to normal again:)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Hurrah!

I have just had a conversation with the Frame Nurse and we have settled on 9th March for my next Fracture Clinic appt. Apparently when they loosen the frame they then give you a week of walking on the leg with the frame still in position, so that it can be tightened again if necessary. However this does make the pinsites more liable to infection.
The consultant is not available the week before the 9th, so if I went to his last clinic in Feb, I would have the frame loose for 2 weeks, which between us we decided was not a good idea with my propensity for infections.
At least I now have a time-frame, so please can I have all fingers crossed for the bone deposits to be good enough for the frame to be loosened on 9th?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Hurrah!

I have just had a conversation with the Frame Nurse and we have settled on 9th March for my next Fracture Clinic appt. Apparently when they loosen the frame they then give you a week of walking on the leg with the frame still in position, so that it can be tightened again if necessary. However this does make the pinsites more liable to infection.
The consultant is not available the week before the 9th, so if I went to his last clinic in Feb, I would have the frame loose for 2 weeks, which between us we decided was not a good idea with my propensity for infections.
At least I now have a time-frame, so please can I have all fingers crossed for the bone deposits to be good enough for the frame to be loosened on 9th?

This sounds hopeful. I'll keep it all crossed, your restricted existence is an awake nightmare. ???

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Googled for a Good Luck dance, this was at the top of the search results

tenor.gif

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
9th March? But that’s ages! ?

When I mentioned that I remembered the Frame Nurse talking about 23rd Feb, she said that it fell a few days short of the 18 full weeks that the Consultant wants. That would mean that the next clinic was 2nd March but the Consultant is unavailable because he is on call on that day. So that means that the next available clinic is 9th March. I must say that it can't come soon enough. I am just about to start the 2nd week of yet another course of antibiotics and haven't been sleeping well - and the bl**dy frame has spoiled my favourite organic cotton sheet, which I am refusing to replace with a new one (although I have bought some in Debenhams sale) until the frame is removed.

I have booked my Covid vaccine today, after talking to my GP about it this morning, as I was asking for more a-b's. Her advice was 'unless you have a high temp, you will be fine'. The appt is on Friday, so I am hoping that I will have developed some immunity by the time I have to go to the Fracture Clinic.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The frame has gone! I think if I had realised quite how painful the process would be, I might have opted for a GA! As it was I had it removed with gas & air and plenty of squealing! One of the plaster technicians was learning to extend his skills and he has a way to go if you ask me.

I now have a bandage under a 'moonboot', bandage to come off on Sunday, I have dressings for the pinsites until they are healed and the boot stays for 6 weeks with an x-ray at week 5, at my local hospital with a phone consultation and discharge after a final visit to the consultant.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Thought about you, and your frame, some days ago, wondering if it wasn't time for it to come off soon. Glad to hear it's gone!

Fingers crossed the next following weeks goes smoothly, and steadily in the right direction, on the leg healing front.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thought about you, and your frame, some days ago, wondering if it wasn't time for it to come off soon. Glad to hear it's gone!

Fingers crossed the next following weeks goes smoothly, and steadily in the right direction, on the leg healing front.

Thank you, the leg is sore this morning, which is only to be expected and I think I am still suffering the after-effects of gas and air (very woozy) but it is a relief to not have the frame attached any more.