Dog walking is dangerous!

misst

Visit site
Wow that seemed to go slowly at first but suddenly you've got there! Congratulations. I know I would opt for GA if I were you but I am a complete baby about things like that.
A huge step forward but don't run before you can walk:) x

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Wow that seemed to go slowly at first but suddenly you've got there! Congratulations. I know I would opt for GA if I were you but I am a complete baby about things like that.
A huge step forward but don't run before you can walk:) x

If I should ever need to do it again (heaven forbid), I would opt for the GA. I think I was rather naive but I also think that I was not well informed - and tbf I think the staff were encouraging most people to avoid the hospital as much as possible. There were 3 of us having frames removed yesterday morning and the 2 men's looked to be far more complicated than mine. One went over the knee and the other had a ring round his heel. I am told that one of them (don't know which one) burst into tears at the end of the procedure. I managed to avoid that:).

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It sounds hideous and I think you are amazingly brave!

You really wouldn't have thought so if you had been in the room while it was being removed! :oops:

The nurse, whose hand I had almost crushed did tell me that I was brave but tbh, that reminded me of those children who come out of the dentist surgery with tears running down their face and a big sticky badge with a smiley face on - just something to encourage you for next time.;)

Supertrooper

Visit site
If I should ever need to do it again (heaven forbid), I would opt for the GA. I think I was rather naive but I also think that I was not well informed - and tbf I think the staff were encouraging most people to avoid the hospital as much as possible. There were 3 of us having frames removed yesterday morning and the 2 men's looked to be far more complicated than mine. One went over the knee and the other had a ring round his heel. I am told that one of them (don't know which one) burst into tears at the end of the procedure. I managed to avoid that:).

I wish I’d seen this before you had it, we’d never do it without GA on an animal. I’m sorry you weren’t better informed

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I wish I’d seen this before you had it, we’d never do it without GA on an animal. I’m sorry you weren’t better informed

I wish I had thought to ask your opinion/advice.

Although I am sorry it was so rough, I am glad that it is gone. Your body can hopefully start to recover now from the irritating pins. New bedsheets is always a nice feeling!

Thank you, it took me a couple of days to come to but I'm ok now. I am buying yet more shoes because otherwise I am having to wear one shoe with a heel or be very unbalanced which is bad for my back. So look out for the ultra fashionable 'platform trainer' alongside the moonboot, when we are allowed to be out and about a bit more.:cool:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Sorry I missed the last 2 posts:

ct, you were very wise, tbh if iit hadn't been for not wanting to hang around the hospital because of Covid, I probably would have opted for GA.

It seems to be healing quite well, the pins sites are fine, I am putting Vit E oil on 2x daily. The swelling which increased when the pins were removed, has now gone down again and when I flex my ankle, the shin bone is visible - leg is leg-shaped again. And I have downgraded the pain relief to just paracetamol, rather than co-codamol

I have been outside stuffing hay bags this afternoon.

The only real problem is that the leaflet that came with the 'walking boot' says don't take it off unless instructed to do so by a physician - but gives washing instructions which include 'line dry only'. I am not sure that the whirligig will support my weight:D

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Well today should be discharge day but the Frame Nurse rang me yesterday to ask if I had had the x-ray that she forgot to ask my GP to refer me for, which is a long story that I won't go into. However she did tell me last week to wean my leg off using the walking boot in the house over the course of the week. Her advice yesterday was to walk around the house and garden or short distances outside without the boot and actually yesterday I drove to sit in a friend's garden. Thank goodness life is getting back to normal, 6 months down the line.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Well today should be discharge day but the Frame Nurse rang me yesterday to ask if I had had the x-ray that she forgot to ask my GP to refer me for, which is a long story that I won't go into. However she did tell me last week to wean my leg off using the walking boot in the house over the course of the week. Her advice yesterday was to walk around the house and garden or short distances outside without the boot and actually yesterday I drove to sit in a friend's garden. Thank goodness life is getting back to normal, 6 months down the line.

Like the end of a prison sentence. You must be so relieved. You were very stoic!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It certainly does feel like a long time but some of it passed in haze of opiates, tbh. I definitely need to work out what the next steps (pardon the pun) will be, in view of the underlying health conditions that have been diagnosed while I have been involved with the NHS. I think I preferred blissful ignorance, really. I have an appointment to speak to GP on Friday.

ETA and I have just taken delivery of a pair of walking boots with supportive ankles, so they should help with the 'next steps':)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm definitely feeling human again! I had a shower in my own bathroom this morning. The shower is over the bath, which is very deep, so I have been going to a friend's walk-in shower, so obviously not as often as I might have liked, in fact I was instructed to only shower once per week, while I had the frame on. I practised climbing in and out of the bath yesterday (fully clothed with no water) and as that went well, I decided to be clean today!:DI have a hair appointment on Monday, so will feel almost normal after that.

I have an x-ray appointment booked for 4th May, which should tell the nurse why she should have requested it when the Consultant mentioned it in clinic. So hopefully, just one more update after that to confirm that I have been discharged

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
thats good news, i can remember when i had my hip ops and i wasnt allowed to use the bath, luckily my lovely next door neighbour had a free standing shower so i could wash my hair and the rest of me, so much better than a strip down wash..knowing that i needed further operations i had the bath replaced with a walk in shower, bliss :D so i can understand how pleased you are to be able to shower at home whenever you like. pleased that you are (finally!!) nearing the end of your long recovery...fingers crossed for discharge

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Considering that I before this thread wouldn't normally rate slipping on a wet, cobbled lane, even though being steep, with a particularly high danger factor, your accident is a very good reminder that everyday normal stuff that doesn't seem dangerous, can still lead to broken bones. And to think that it happened 13 October last year, and here we are, one week left of April 2021, and only now you're almost crossing the finish line.

By the way, regardless of bath or shower, the bathroom is apparently the most dangerous room in our homes, and as you know a little too well, it's easy to slip in wet conditions, so be careful. If you don't have one already, may I suggest you consider getting something like a PATRULL bathtub mat?
patrull-bathtub-mat-crocodile-green__0115444_pe264548_s5.jpg

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Considering that I before this thread wouldn't normally rate slipping on a wet, cobbled lane, even though being steep, with a particularly high danger factor, your accident is a very good reminder that everyday normal stuff that doesn't seem dangerous, can still lead to broken bones. And to think that it happened 13 October last year, and here we are, one week left of April 2021, and only now you're almost crossing the finish line.

By the way, regardless of bath or shower, the bathroom is apparently the most dangerous room in our homes, and as you know a little too well, it's easy to slip in wet conditions, so be careful. If you don't have one already, may I suggest you consider getting something like a PATRULL bathtub mat?
patrull-bathtub-mat-crocodile-green__0115444_pe264548_s5.jpg

You are absolutely right, FL, bathrooms can be dangerous places. I know someone who fell in the over-bath shower and broke her collar-bone. I do have an anti-slip mat in the bath/shower and have ordered a grab handle (although it hasn't arrived yet).
It can be the simplest accidents that lead to injuries, I have never done myself any serious injury falling from a horse and yet I have managed to break bones 3 times with both feet on the ground.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Thank you sg45.
I am *really* looking forward to a nice long bath but the skin over the fracture blister is extremely dry and doesn't like getting wet, it can be very uncomfortable, so I am saving that treat for later

I was recommended a waterproof plastic cover thing when I had the leg issue. It allows showering etc. Took me 6 weeks post op to have a shower. It was BLISS! I recommend Child’s Farm moisturiser for dry post injury skin, it’s virtually all natural and did wonders for me when I had the eczema all the skin fell off my feet thing.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Glad to hear you already have an antislip mat in the bath/shower. :)
Fingers crossed, hope the skin improvement on the leg soon begins to rapid up a bit.

I hope so! I had just treated myself to some rose-scented bathsalts, the week before the accident and haven't opened them yet, so I am looking forward to my first soak, as soon as the skin says 'yes!'