Doggy Coats Do your wear them

Dogbetty141

Visit site
Hi Guys

I have been thinking about getting my 9 month old GSD a waterproof coat as this weather gets worse she comes in soaked and is freezing (very mard dog) so was wondering where you get them from and what size would I best getting for a 27KG GSD

Thanks

Liz

galaxy

Visit site
Harley has one. But he has very short hair and no body fat so it's to keep him warm. I got him the Weatherbeeta Deluxe because it has a bit that goes inbetween their front legs so it keeps their belly clean and dry too!

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
Poppy in her Equafleece
06022009_008.jpg

poppy in equafleece and waterproof
jan20102008.jpg
she does get very cold and hates getting wet.

Flodden and Poppy in waterproofs yesterday cos the heavens opened.
003-2.jpg
Floddens is too big as it was my old dogs. But as floddy is still growing he will have to make do :) I use coats to keep them dry and warm as they spend an awful lot of time outdoors when I am on the yard and it can get very cold. Also i have them in the flourescent equafleeces so i can see them in teh fields. Nothing as funny as watching Poppy stalk rabbits, while wearing hers. Yup we can all see you Poppu

contestdancer

Visit site
Oh yes. My greyhound has a whole wardrobe of different styles and weights from liteweight raincoat, snuggy fleece to highlanders. He loves them all! My GSDs have never worn coats and one of them loves water.

lexiedhb

Visit site
Dex does not have one- and wont be getting one- despite his short fur. Reasoning- when he was in kennels last winter they tried to get him to wear one for warmth (unheated kennel) and he shredded 3 before they gave up.......

Spudlet

Visit site
Henry has a hotterdog fleece, same company as equafleece only the colours and sizes are more limited so they're cheaper. He wears it after he gets wet to keep him warm and dry. He doesn't tend to need it outdoors even in the snow, the only time I've ever wanted it was when we were at the top of a mountain in driving wind and rain - and sods law, it was waiting at the bottom for us! So now it always goes in my rucksack when we go walking:)

Luci07

Visit site
never used to bother apart from a lightweight waterproof as got fed up being tripped up my old staffie trying to walk under my coat.

Since moving to my yard years ago I have since acquired a vast doggy wardrobe all of which is heavily used come winter. It has been the subject of a massive amount of p**stake from my brother that I need to put coats on staffies but being very fine coated and no hair on stomachs = freezing dogs very quickly. Problem for staffies is getting one that will have an adequately large enough belt in the middle and the absolute best best rug I have (apart from their thermatex) is the one made by Outhwaite (suspicously like a Mark Todd one actually) as it has a belly flap, collar, big enough strap to fit comfortably and washes really well. Also a lot more hardwearing than others I have bought.

Like the look of the equifleece though too!

Wigglypigs

Visit site
I have 3 JRT's and they each have an Equifleece. Fantastic for keeping them clean and dry and really easy to chuck in the machine.

Dogbetty141

Visit site
Had a look at equfleece but they are all fleecy arnt they I just want a raincoat basically as she has enough fur but hates getting wet

Thanks for your help tho :)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I normally don't like to see GSDs wearing coats as they do have double coats (while they are wet on the outside, stick your fingers in, their skin will be dry), however I did buy an Equifleece jumper for my older dog to cover his hair loss to enable him to go out in the snow without getting frozen/burned the winter before last.
And again, howEVER :p I wheeled it out last night for the pup because it was absolutely stinking, his adult coat isn't through yet and he sleeps indoors so did not want him to get too wet. While it does get wet on the outside, he was completely dry underneath and it worked a treat although he looked like a berk in baggy PJs :p

Will post pics of his shame later :p

Dogbetty141

Visit site
Hi CC

Would you recommend I dont get one for her then, she shivers when she comes in does she need to just harden up? She is one of the most mardly clingy dogs I have ever met(suppose this is to do with me treating her like a princess I recon) I just wondered if she would be better with a raincoat one

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I definitely try not to pander to dogs as you can end up with problems down the road, in lots of different ways.
My older dog's hair grew back after a bad allergy and while he does not like rain much either, he is outside most of the time and his coat is like a bears so I know he can take it.
My younger dog is two months younger than yours, I am not a fairweather walker but last night was truly disgusting and his coat is not complete yet.
Also if the dog lives inside, it is much handier when you only have to dry off paws, tail and face instead of the whole dog.
There's no harm in having one in your dog's wardrobe but bear in mind she will have growing to do yet before you splash out on anything expensive.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Hi CC

Would you recommend I dont get one for her then, she shivers when she comes in does she need to just harden up? She is one of the most mardly clingy dogs I have ever met(suppose this is to do with me treating her like a princess I recon) I just wondered if she would be better with a raincoat one

Have two dogs - both mutts. Fred is double-coated and it doesn't seem to matter how wet he gets, or how cold it is, he always seems able to keep himself warm and/or warm himself up. Daisy, though, is a scrawny little thing and despite being willing to go anywhere/do anything when the weather's truly awful, she does get very cold very quickly and once wet/cold seems to find it hard to warm up - she has shivered so hard I actually couldn't see her features before now - had to stuff her inside my coat (she's the size of a small collie) and it took a good half an hour once we got home before she stopped shivering.

So.

Fred doesn't wear a coat (no big surprise there) but Daisy has both a t-shirt-style vest (like a polo-neck which covers her belly and snaps around her tail and which keeps her warm in the car when we go up to the yard) and a Mark Todd fleece-lined waterproof (shaped alot like a horse rug which does up with a velcro belly strap). Finally, I bought one of those doggy dry bags (please don't laugh) . . . basically a towelling bag you pop your wet dog in once you get it in the car to dry it off/warm it up. Once Daisy's been in that for a bit to dry off, she gets her MT on and is warm as toast!

P

Dogbetty141

Visit site
Thanks CC

If she is an indoor dog will her fur be less? I think I will try her with just a simple waterproof jacket as she doesnt need it for warmth as she will be dry under neath

Thanks again guys

:)

cbmcts

Visit site
I tried putting a coat on my little (very princess like :D) JRT because she made such a fuss about going out in the rain and cold and the wind and the dark - you get the picture - and she refused to move it was wearing it, just sat down with a very mulish look on her face.

In the end we compromised I insisted she used the garden twice a day in bad weather and when it time for a walk she had her lead put on along with the other dogs, she would reverse as I opened the front door so I'd take her lead off and she'd stay at home! 10 days was the longest time that she refused to walk...

BTW, she was from very good working parents, she ran away from rabbits, they were bigger than her!

Boulty

Visit site
I got my little Cav one a few years ago when there was all the snow & ice about cos she was shivering and feeling the cold bless her, just a cheapo fleece and waterproof that you could sort of velcro together and use separately. I also started using the waterproof when it was raining more for my benefit than anything as it meant there was less dog to dry! (she now refuses to go out in the rain so doesn't get used much any more, she is 12 1/2 with multiple health problems so I think she's earned the right to be fussy. Took her out in all weathers with no coat when was younger though!). I also have one of the towel-bag things and think they are especially good for bundling wet, muddy dogs into so they don't climb all over the back of the car!

whisp&willow

Visit site
betty has two...

a waterproof with 200g fill wetherbeeta dog coat.

http://www.horseland.com.au/weatherbeeta-joules-dog-rug-medium.html

and an equafleece. in mullberry!

http://www.equafleece.co.uk/store/dog_tankies.html

she wears the waterproof when we go out walking/fishing and it pouring.... she might look like a tough bulldog... but she's a woofter! very fine coat. ;)

the equafleece i bought for her to wear when kenneled during the day in the winter. ;) its also good to chuck on her to dry her off if she's wet and chilly!

can recomend both. ;)

MarleyandDarcy

Visit site
All my collies have waterproof rugs for the winter, it saves them from being wet for hours after we get back from a walk and we use them a lot at the beginning and then end of the agility season to save them from having to sit in the van wet all day long.

highneckps.jpg

and my old spaniel won't go out without his on if its cold or wet - or demands he has a fleece one put on when he gets back in!!

dogsinsnow4.jpg

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
OP you said that she shivers when she comes in wet. We have a lab that does this. Its not because his coat isn't good enough - it because he is wet.. Its a bit like being in wet clothes - fine when you're moving around doing things, but cold when you come in and stop. We find the answer with him is to towel him dry when he comes in.. I had been considering a fleece to dry them off when they come in too.

Generally I hate coats on dogs unless they are thin, fine coated things like greyhounds or old dogs. The only coats our labs wear are fluro/reflective coats so that they show up in the dark.

zarablue

Visit site
never used to bother apart from a lightweight waterproof as got fed up being tripped up my old staffie trying to walk under my coat.

Since moving to my yard years ago I have since acquired a vast doggy wardrobe all of which is heavily used come winter. It has been the subject of a massive amount of p**stake from my brother that I need to put coats on staffies but being very fine coated and no hair on stomachs = freezing dogs very quickly. Problem for staffies is getting one that will have an adequately large enough belt in the middle and the absolute best best rug I have (apart from their thermatex) is the one made by Outhwaite (suspicously like a Mark Todd one actually) as it has a belly flap, collar, big enough strap to fit comfortably and washes really well. Also a lot more hardwearing than others I have bought.

Like the look of the equifleece though too!

Mines got the same problem virtually bald tummy and very fine coat. We needed one quick last year and found 3 peaks at PAH was a ver good fit for a staffy, nothing else fitted her. My GSDs never needed a coat

Oenoke

Visit site
Like CC, I generally don't like to see double coated (GSD's, BC's, etc) dogs where coats, there are exceptions (after surgery, older dogs).

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
I have this one not bought from this company though, the belly was a bit generous so I had to do a bit of sewing lol
http://canineconcepts.co.uk/en/dog-crate-clearance-sale/2891-hurtta-dog-coats-raincoats.html

I also have a couple of Danish Design ones, one winter one, one rain sheet with a fleece insert for use in the winter, they also do up through the front legs and they cover the chest,
http://www.danishdesign.co.uk/dog-coats/luxury-dog-coat.html

I love these types, I also fancy the weatherbeeta deluxe as it does up in this way, I think it keeps them warmer