Dogs chasing horses

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I do find it strange that having a load of knob-ends paying thousands on a commercial shoot to despatch his birds is more acceptable than them getting smashed by cars or a marauding cat.😏

Why strange? It's all about the money, as you seem to acknowledge when you write "paying thousands on a commercial shoot".

If there are not enough birds when the shooters turn up, then they'll be unhappy, maybe want a refund, and not come back next year. The shoot organiser might blame the gamekeeper and replace him.

The gamekeeper can't do much about pheasants killed by traffic, so he attacks the predators.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
Why strange? It's all about the money, as you seem to acknowledge when you write "paying thousands on a commercial shoot".

If there are not enough birds when the shooters turn up, then they'll be unhappy, maybe want a refund, and not come back next year. The shoot organiser might blame the gamekeeper and replace him.

The gamekeeper can't do much about pheasants killed by traffic, so he attacks the predators.
I was being ironic. Should have put the appropriate juvenile emoji.

Clodagh

Visit site
That might be a bit tricky if the owners are present !

My OH helped our neighbour catch two labradors that were chasing his sheep, while the owner stood two fields away and called them. She obviously hoped they would jump back out and run to her and she wouldn't have to cope with two irate farmers. Now she was lucky they didn't get shot.

Clodagh

Visit site
Moderation? Why? I suppose it depends on how you feel about commercial shoots.

A bit harsh, we have a shoot although it isn't very commercial. If your dog or cat was repeatedly coming into the release pens and killing the birds (well, I suppose wouldn't be a dog as they wouldn't get over the fence) I do think anyone would be entitled to defend them. Yes some of them get shot come the winter but that doesn't mean it is OK for your pet to kill them. By your basis livestock farmers shouldn't object to dogs killing their sheep, as some will be going for slaughter anyway.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
A bit harsh, we have a shoot although it isn't very commercial. If your dog or cat was repeatedly coming into the release pens and killing the birds (well, I suppose wouldn't be a dog as they wouldn't get over the fence) I do think anyone would be entitled to defend them. Yes some of them get shot come the winter but that doesn't mean it is OK for your pet to kill them. By your basis livestock farmers shouldn't object to dogs killing their sheep, as some will be going for slaughter anyway.

You clearly run a cleaner shoot than what exists by me. Repeat offenders don’t exist, literally. The landowner hasn’t complained to highways regarding the amount of his birds killed by speeding traffic.