Dogs for your dotage!

maisie06

Visit site
So after seeing an elderly couple with what I'm100% sure is an XL pup I was musing....what dog/s do you have now and what would you have when your'e old and out to pasture?! I have spaniels and when I get too old to be chasing springers about I'd quite like a King charles - if I could find a health tested one - or a don't laugh - Shitzu!!

ArklePig

Visit site
I have a springer x pointer now and we're both 33. Tbh my husband has endless energy I couldn't manage her alone. We've discussed this at length and it always comes down to a greyhound or a border terrier 😂 I feel like a greyhound in a cute jumper is the perfect take to the pub to do the crossword dog which for some reason is how I always imagine my retirement?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Three springers currently. A bloke with a retriever told me I had my hands full with them today, but it's no more difficult than any other dog unless you have a really boring one. I noticed my brother in law's dog stayed nearer, maybe a lone dog thing.

I keep saying a scruffy terrier is in my future but if I could clone Goose, I'd just have him on repeat forever more. Cuddle monster, full of energy, everything is exciting, funny, cutest and smallest one we've had so far. I can't imagine changing breeds.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I'll have something small & scruffy - they'll bark as much as I will in my old age! It's a development from large & scruffy that I currently have. That said I'm considering taking on a rescue lurcher or whippet type in the next few years - not my typical kind of dog but I think might suit my current lifestyle. If I take to the sighthounds, then who knows what I'll end up with!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
When I lost my last GSD I said I'd never have another dog. Roll on 10+ years, lifestyle had changed a bit and in early 2016 we took on a little rescue, a dumped Shih Tzu that the dog warden had picked up.
We sadly lost her to old age related stuff in early October and said that was it for dog owning...
3.5 weeks ago we collected a 10 week old Shih Tzu puppy, she will definitely see us both out!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
We have 2 labs and Cecil who is a terrier x His mum was half chihuahua.

I will absolutely go with something like him again. I’m not at all into these trendy crosses or was simply that he was available, so I’d not specifically be looking for that but I do think it’s a great mix. He’s a fab character and just so easy/clean and hassle free.
So I guess my reply is a small short haired dog or two!

I’ve always wanted a Great Dane but it’s probably not a realistic option 😂 and the polar opposite of what I know I love

poiuytrewq

Visit site
When I lost my last GSD I said I'd never have another dog. Roll on 10+ years, lifestyle had changed a bit and in early 2016 we took on a little rescue, a dumped Shih Tzu that the dog warden had picked up.
We sadly lost her to old age related stuff in early October and said that was it for dog owning...
3.5 weeks ago we collected a 10 week old Shih Tzu puppy, she will definitely see us both out!
Do you have a photo?

gallopingby

Visit site
The best dog is one that fits your lifestyle and living conditions so not necessarily a small yappy dog that you are likely to fall over or a big bouncy one. Need to start planning so that you can both enjoy toddling round together. I’d go for a midsized less hairy model, maybe a well trained but ‘failed’ gun dog. Kennel dogs adapt well to living inside and many are delighted with their new life style as long as you’ve a large garden and assess to fields to potter around.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I’m already old and have 2 terriers and a small lurcher(mainly whippet) so have downsized. These should be my last dogs..

Same here already old and on my way out so no more dogs for me. I have two labs that my son (he lives here) has taken over the care of. Thankfully they worship him and he has always been very much a dog person, including looking after dogs professionally.

I did plan to get a little rescue dog that is old and happy to hang out with me for it's last couple of years, but sadly that is out of the question now.

wren123

Visit site
My husband and I are in our 60's, we're probably getting a lab puppy in the spring, we are looking at rescues too. We have grown up children who would take her on if anything happened to us. We've always had labs, we find them easy in that with a good walk everyday they then are fairly quiet. Plus we spend a lot of time with our grandchildren and labs are good with children, with our old one we just trained the grandchildren that when she was in her bed she was to be left alone.

Perhaps when we're in our 80's we might get something less active but then we probably rescue an old one, if we were allowed! My elderly friend had just been refused a rescue as she is too old, her vet daughter has bought her a puppy.

Indy

Visit site
My aunt has a rescue Yorkie; he's very game for someone so tiny
Many years ago I was in my vets and Hampole Kennels had brought in some dogs for their vaccinations. The guy had a a little Yorkie under his arm and she just wagged her tail at everyone and just wanted to meet and greet everyone. I've had a soft spot for them ever since and terriers or little dogs aren't really for me

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
A close friend of mine had a miniature yorkie and she was the most fabulous little dog. Proper terrier, would go hunting along the hedgerows and also helped once loading sheep into a trailer, they took one look and went in. Michael who was not really a dog person, just loved our dogs, always said after getting to know Polly he would rather like one.

DiNozzo

Visit site
I've had/known Yorkies all my life. Parents have always had at least one, usually several! They can be very game, but they usually don't much like the rain. Current one is the exception to the rule, but he does not like the sea!

malwhit

Visit site
I have said that Lola would be my last dog, as if she lives into her teens I will be over 70😡
But as she would be used to other dogs, it would be cruel not to get a companion when my older one pop off👿
I always like to forward plan for my next dog, looking for replacements before the older ones die. Bringing a puppy home usually gives my oldies a second lease of life👿
Lola is a six month old Whippet, I dont think I could cope with another. I still wouldn't part with her ....... most days😊