Dogs in pubs

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Just to add, the quiz was in the back room and the owner was on a team/there deliberately, it wasn't that someone came to the pub coincidentally and didn't know the noise would ruin their night...

Teaselmeg

Visit site
I get it if you have a long walk and it ends at a pub, but otherwise - why ? It's not the most enriching experience for the dog, lying on a hard floor watching lots of legs walk by in a noisy room ? Leave the dog at home.

Slightly off topic, but still relevant , I commented on an instagram post this week, someone was getting excited about visiting Cotswold Zoo with their dog, as they allow dogs in :oops: How stressful is that for the animals in the enclosures, to have a potential predator staring at them/ barking etc 😢 I wouldn't dream of taking a dog into somewhere like that ( but to be fair I also hate zoos, so wouldn't go anyway).

Pippity

Visit site
Pre-covid, my friends had a regular pub quiz team, and one couple would always bring their little terrier because he didn't cope well being left alone. He'd just slip under the table and you'd hear nothing from him for the whole evening.

There was another team that always brought a greyhound. Beautifully behaved, but so damn BIG that it always ended up getting in the way.

Basically, I'm fine with dogs being there as long as I can't tell there are dogs there.

maisie06

Visit site
I go to the pub to get away from dogs 😅😅😅
Me too! and don't you find every annoying little yappy fluffkins makes a beelibe for you!!!

I have been taking the youngest to the pub for settle practice but we tuck him under the table with a chewy treat and once finished he just goes to sleep, I'm vigalent for people with dogs on flexi leads who seem to think all dogs want tosay hello = they get told he's in training and to leave him alone...biggest compliment was when we got up to leave one day and the lady on the table next to us exclaimed, gosh I didn't realise you had a dog with you, what a lovely animal, so quiet!!!

EarsofaSnowman

Visit site
Not a pub, but I was in a country tea room and there was a St Bernard style lying next to the owner's table, which was next to the bathroom. As you can imagine, the dog took up a lot of space, and had to be navigated around by anyone using the bathroom, serving drinks or sitting nearby.
It also drooled. A lot. On the carpet🤢.
There was no point in saying anything as they were obviously regulars and friends or family of the owners.

oldandgold

Visit site
We have taken our 2 to the pub that we stay at when on holiday. They lay under the table and don't move. Our last holiday was in October last year and we had our 2 (retrievers), there was also a lab and a springer - all of them no problem. And then fluffikins (not real name) came in dragging owner behind, I think it may have been a Lhasa or something similar and it promptly started growling and barking at anyone or anything and was a complete pita. The owner kept saying be quiet but by this time it was on a roll only shutting up when it was fed copious amounts of food from the plates. If my dogs had done that I would have left

Annette4

Visit site
I love this thread. I thought I was the only person who felt like this.

Went to a cafe for lunch the other day, French Bulldog at the table opposite sitting on a chair! My friend had to restrain me from getting up and telling the owner to put it on the floor, it is a dog it can sit on the floor!
Now I will admit, Fizz sits on the bench seats in our local but on one of our coats and we always ask before allowing her to come up. She just curls up in a ball on our coat though.

Clodagh

Visit site
Well I worked today and there was a cockerpoo on one (it’s always a cockerpoo or a jrt that have yap mode activated). Eventually the barman told them they couldn’t continue letting it bark. They said ‘we are trying to stop it’ he said ‘try harder’. 🤣.
They went and sat outside and she cried! As the barman was so horrible to her dog. Honestly it was hell, I was trying to take a booking and couldn’t hear myself think.

Last edited:

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Pre-covid, my friends had a regular pub quiz team, and one couple would always bring their little terrier because he didn't cope well being left alone. He'd just slip under the table and you'd hear nothing from him for the whole evening.

There was another team that always brought a greyhound. Beautifully behaved, but so damn BIG that it always ended up getting in the way.

Basically, I'm fine with dogs being there as long as I can't tell there are dogs there.
Exhibit A... "Long Vehicle" 😂

We do only sit where we can park her out of the way otherwise it's stressful all round.
1710953771060.png

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Well I worked today and there was a cockerpoo on one (it’s always a cockerpoo or a jrt that have yap mode activated). Eventually the barman told them they couldn’t continue letting it bark. They said ‘we are trying to stop it’ he said ‘try harder’. 🤣.
They went and sat outside and she cried! As the barman was so horrible to her dog. Honestly it was hell, I was trying to take a booking and couldn’t hear myself think.

Good for the barman. I don't mind dogs in pubs at all but we told a pub last week that we wouldn't be back to eat there again until they changed their policy of allowing people to let their dogs yap over and over and over again right through our lunch.

They seemed surprised we had a problem with it, but both I and the woman on the table next to us were literally jumping with every piercing yap.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I take mine all over, but never to the pub. Mainly as I don't frequent them often, but if I'm going for a meal I don't want to be bothered with dogs and they stay in the car if we are camping or similar. I'd be mortified if one barked and we'd leave immediately. Barking is so annoying, how can anyone just ignore it?!

Splash2310

Visit site
We have a fairly quiet dog friendly pub near us, which is also conveniently near a nice walking route, and have taken our dog since a puppy so he knows to sit quietly.

Can’t stand it when dogs bark or growl at other dogs or people in a pub, if they can’t behave don’t bring them!

I have taken our and friends spaniel who was staying for a week to a busy pub in London once (annoyingly I had to) and they were remarkably well behaved. I was more irritated by the drunk people coming up and touching them without asking!

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
This is a multi level rant and whinge and I accept I am irrationally angry with everything right now. But anyway…
Why do people feel the need to take their dogs to the pub? OH and I just nipped out for a beer and friends of ours bought their two cockerpoos in who alternated between yapping at the other dog (a silver 🙄 Labrador ) and scrabbling at my legs. Oh with friends shouting ‘be quiet’ at them.
Those who remember I’m puppy sitting this weekend, they picked the pup up from its litter mates in Wales yesterday then took it to the pub while they got pissed for 4 hours. Apparently it was super quiet and well behaved. FML I’m not surprised, so would I have been.
If you are out walking or whatever and your dog knows to sit quietly then fill yer boots. But trust me even though Fluffikins is the most 🥰🥰🥰🥰dog ever, not everyone will share your views.
I'm coming down your way this weekend, complete with dog, and we're staying in the pub so will be drinking in it with Juno!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Cec comes to the pub, only the local one though and only if we just pop in day on a weekend afternoon. I’d not take him on a Saturday night! (Not that I go out getting pissed on a Saturday night though any more 😂)
There are a little group of local dogs always or often in there and all sit quietly after a quick hello.
There’s dog treats on the bar!

Titchy Pony

Visit site
I've taken Monster to a few restaurants when we've been out and about on holiday. He's generally pretty well behaved though we do have a sit up and stare if another dog walks in. He settles again once we've explained that the other dog is allowed there. I try to sit outside if possible and park him out of the way, which isn't always easy depending on the set up and I did spend a meal with half an eye on the kid at the table behind ours that kept getting up to play. Monster was a saint and kid didn't exceed boundaries, so all ok. Libby's going to be another matter. Better get working on it because she's coming on holiday with me in May and June.

Sleighfarer

Visit site
One of my friends was in the Highlands once and went for a drink at the local pub. He was waiting to be served and became aware of someone standing next to him. He turned round to acknowledge his new neighbour, only to find an Irish Wolfhound standing on its hindlegs, its paws on the bar. A regular, evidently 😁

All the cafes and pubs round here (home counties riverside town) are super dog friendly, and the canines are remarkably well behaved. They are mainly of the spaniel/doodle variety with a few fluffies thrown in, and peace reigns. There was a close shave one day when a mastiff, sitting at a table outside, clocked a GSD coming round the corner and very quickly got to his feet. Fortunately, the GSD owner immediately saw the potential for flying condiments (the mastiff was tied to the table leg) and very smartly marched his dog, its eyes absolutely boggling, to the furthest reaches of the pavement, doing a sort of half-pass without breaking stride. The mastiff lay down again. Its owners, incidentally, were busy perusing the menu and didn't notice a thing :rolleyes:

I'm not up for dogs sitting at the table, though.