Dolly leaves this weekend.

tessybear

Visit site
Dolly goes this Saturday already sad about it, anyone who wants an update on how she travelled and howshe settles in, Lou im sure will put a post on the fb page.

Taking my 'break' from here now as i am back at school and need to get on with work but shall try and answer any pm's as i know a few people following Dolly don't have facebook :)

tessybear

Visit site
can leave between 4-6 months vet is happy, stud down the road is happy, she can no longer fit under mum to suckle.

tessybear

Visit site
about a week ? has been eating grass drinking water hay etc for the past 3 months though.

Last edited:

Sandstone1

Visit site
It is quite young, my foal was 5 1/2 months when he came, but had been weaned for a couple of weeks and was in with other foals. I thought that was young. Its a big thing for them to be taken away from mum, and they need time to get over it before travelling. mine had quite bad diarrhoea for several days after travelling. Also I had no say in when he was weaned it was done by the stud. If I had the choice I would not wean til 6 months. Has she been completely separated from mum? Its this more than the milk that upsets them.

Last edited:

tessybear

Visit site
Okay, big debate weaning if you google it comes up with akll sorts she is leaving this saturday to go to her new home with horses her own age.

GrumpyHero

Visit site
5 months is fine. I know of foals who had to be weaned at 3-4 months because they were growing too big too quickly with mum (weaned under vets orders). Not ideal but they coped fine and are now great young horses.

Hope everything goes well on Saturday! :-(

tessybear

Visit site
TB has gone to a yard down the road ( out of earshot) , dolly is being kept with neighbours big soppy gelding as company

montanna

Visit site
5 months is fine. I know of foals who had to be weaned at 3-4 months because they were growing too big too quickly with mum (weaned under vets orders). Not ideal but they coped fine and are now great young horses.

Hope everything goes well on Saturday! :-(

ditto this.

good luck with it, bet you can't wait to crack on with your mare again :)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Hope it all goes well. Ignore the lectures, you've checked with the vet and experienced breeders - all of who have seen her I presume, so don't worry about it.

Wish she was coming here!

Bertolie

Visit site
Just wanted to say that I hope it all goes well this weekend and I'll look forward to a fb update.

Well done for setting her up so well for her new life, it will be sad for you to see her go, but you should be so proud of yourself x

tessybear

Visit site
ditto this.

good luck with it, bet you can't wait to crack on with your mare again :)

Thanks , i know its opening a whole can of worms because views differ so much so far everything has gone well, a lot of shouting from mum who calmed down and took comfort in her new toyboy a 3yr old gelding cob. And Dolly got a shock when she tried to suckle from the gelding... well i think he might of got a bigger shock.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Please make sure she is used to being without her mum and eating properly before she travels. I've seen foals arrive where I kept my pony straight off the mother into a wagon and they've been so traumatised and lost a lot of weight before they recovered from the experience.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I hope it all goes well for her, Has she got a long journey? mine had two hours and was travelled loose. Journey really took it out of him for several days.

tessybear

Visit site
Please make sure she is used to being without her mum and eating properly before she travels. I've seen foals arrive where I kept my pony straight off the mother into a wagon and they've been so traumatised and lost a lot of weight before they recovered from the experience.

yup mum is gone, everything has been prepared and thought of with help from those who have been there done that got the t-shirt.

tessybear

Visit site
I hope it all goes well for her, Has she got a long journey? mine had two hours and was travelled loose. Journey really took it out of him for several days.

Will be about 3 hours , travelling loose with big bed down, stud said she will more than likely tire herself out trying to balance and lie down.

Natz88

Visit site
Wish Dolly the best of luck in her new home & you should be proud with yourself at how well you have dealt with this whole process considering the circumstances/shock of it all. Look forward to seeing/hearing an update of her in her new home :D

Sandstone1

Visit site
Hope it goes well, I know I was very worried about how my little one would cope and it did take time for him to recover from the journey.

tessybear

Visit site
Hope it goes well, I know I was very worried about how my little one would cope and it did take time for him to recover from the journey.

I will be worried, but its comforting know when she gets there, she will be surrounded by other horses to seek comfort in and Ed and Lou know what they are doing :)

FionaM12

Visit site
Has she got another foal the same age to be with where she's going?

Have you read the thread?

Tb has already told us that Tessy's been moved so they're used to being apart, and Dolly is eating fine. Also that she'll be with youngsters her own age

This must be very hard for you Abbie, but I'm sure Dolly will be fine. :)

Last edited:

tessybear

Visit site
Wish Dolly the best of luck in her new home & you should be proud with yourself at how well you have dealt with this whole process considering the circumstances/shock of it all. Look forward to seeing/hearing an update of her in her new home :D

Thank you lovely :)

tessybear

Visit site
Have you read the thread?

Tb has already told us that Tessy's been moved so they're used to being apart, and Dolly is eating fine. Also that she'll be with youngsters her own age

This must be very hard for you abbie, but I'm sure Dolly will be fine. :)

Thank you, can fully understand the concern its a big deal but we all feel everything that can be done is done :)

Highlands

Visit site
Did exactly the same with splash my cob foal, mum was fed up after 5 months , baby went to be weaned about 15 mins away with two other foals. Great time of year, grass is ok still, its light and Dolly has time to adjust. She will be fine, probably stuff herself all journey! She a cob foal they very hardy. New playmate Dolly won't give you a 2nd glance! Splash is now 3 and been sat on. She never came back from weaning, they brought her off me!

ellis9905

Visit site
I've not commented before on any of the tessy/ dolly threads before- more of a lurker!!

But I wish you all well and thank you for sharing your adventure/ experience with us all :) it's been a pleasure to read, and an eye opener in places!!

I admire you for coping so well at such a young age, admitting and seeking guidance when you needed it and really stepping up and being responsible.

Wishing all of you much fun in the future :)