Donations on Facebook to buy a girl a horse...

bumper

Visit site
Oh Lord! This sounds just a bit like the X-Factor...."Oh oh, but I WANT it so much".
Really?
Nobody donated my first horse to me...I WORKED for a long time to be able to pay for him MYSELF, and to be able to afford his upkeep.
What is going wrong with young people these days? I was taught "I want never gets". Sheesh.

Patterdale

Visit site
Words fail me.

What is it about Facebook that makes people just give money to random strangers for no good reason? I really don't get it.

But at least I know of a new dealer to avoid now, always handy to have an insight into their idea of ethics and morals.

Camel

Visit site
I'm really sad about this too, I thought they were one of the good guys! agreed about the profit thing, they usually sell horses around the 2k mark, making I presume around £500-£1k 'profit' (I know they bring them on, assess and tidy up but these costs could be absorbed by the company/the girl doing overtime for free?)

So essentially they are generating themselves a profitable sale? surely that is unethical and will have caused the business' reputation dearly.

Maybe it has all got a bit out of hand and they realise that it perhaps wasn't a great idea, how can they claw back their reputation and sort the situation out? I would suggest they give the horse to the girl AT COST and take a nominal sum out of her wages each week or she could do an extra hour for free each day to pay the debt and the money raised go to a reputable horse charity voted for by the people who donated.

And there endeth my twopenneth! :) :)

xx

lucyhalf93

New User
Visit site
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this is ridiculous! I was brought up to save my money for the things I want and if I can't afford it then I don't have it!
I found it even more crazy when I saw she already has her own horses!
Why don't people donate their money to a worthy cause like a proper charity!

babycham

Visit site
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this is ridiculous! I was brought up to save my money for the things I want and if I can't afford it then I don't have it!
I found it even more crazy when I saw she already has her own horses!
Why don't people donate their money to a worthy cause like a proper charity!

I totally agree. People do not appreciate things that are free, with no money value. If you work long hard hours, go without etc,m then you suddenly appreciate the things your work for.

What happens if next week the dealer gets another horse that this girl falls in love with? Is this horse that cost her nothing, suddenly going to be passed on again?

I am sure if this girl is only on a "groom" wage, then can she really afford another livery bill to pay? I am not judging her, just hope she is aware of the extra income needed, when only working on a "grooms " wages??

Fab1987

New User
Visit site
Firstly I think it is important for everyone to be able to express their own opinions etc I would like to point out that I follow cng on fb I don't know them, have never dealt with them however from seeing this thread from the start they didn't ask anyone for any money, followers suggested setting up the account and many people offered straight away to donate, if people want to let them be, she's a groom it's not as if she is a complete novice who was never been around a horse before... There's plenty of those who shouldn't be let near a horse let alone to buy one but have money so they can!! I'm sure she is fully aware of the running costs of a horse. I have a fairly well paid job and work a second in order to help me keep mine but I could never afford to buy one outright, I have to rely on the bank of mum and dad but does that make me a bad or inexperienced person...no it doesn't. I have competed all my life but wouldn't have had that opportunity if my parents hadn't given me a chance and bailed me out when I made the wrong choice on a horse....best case scenario this girl gets a horse she loves and has been caring for anyway...worst case a charity get a hefty donation. A pound a pop is hardly a big deal is it and at no point has anyone forced anyone to donate Christ the way people were reacting you would have thought someone had been murdered, some people have nothing better to do than think ill of others :-(

Tinypony

Visit site
Firstly I think it is important for everyone to be able to express their own opinions etc I would like to point out that I follow cng on fb I don't know them, have never dealt with them however from seeing this thread from the start they didn't ask anyone for any money, followers suggested setting up the account and many people offered straight away to donate, if people want to let them be, she's a groom it's not as if she is a complete novice who was never been around a horse before... There's plenty of those who shouldn't be let near a horse let alone to buy one but have money so they can!! I'm sure she is fully aware of the running costs of a horse. I have a fairly well paid job and work a second in order to help me keep mine but I could never afford to buy one outright, I have to rely on the bank of mum and dad but does that make me a bad or inexperienced person...no it doesn't. I have competed all my life but wouldn't have had that opportunity if my parents hadn't given me a chance and bailed me out when I made the wrong choice on a horse....best case scenario this girl gets a horse she loves and has been caring for anyway...worst case a charity get a hefty donation. A pound a pop is hardly a big deal is it and at no point has anyone forced anyone to donate Christ the way people were reacting you would have thought someone had been murdered, some people have nothing better to do than think ill of others :-(

When people start to talk about raising money to buy one a horse, the decent thing to do is to state immediately that you do not want the donations to be made, and that the ethical thing to do is save to purchase your own horse.

If people want to donate to a registered charity they should do that. Saying that a charity might have benefited from this exercise is a complete red herring.
In my view allowing this to continue was very similar to begging.

The wife

Visit site
I am really quite pleased that I am not the only one that thinks this is absolutely ridiculous. I stated my opinion initially about my doubts in the original post, in a polite way and have since had my comments removed and been branded vile, jealous and bitter. The jealousy one got me... Jealous of what? Saving damn hard to keep my 2 beautiful horses on the road and out competing, all bought and paid for by myself? Working from dawn to dusk, like most of us to do so and blooming well proud of the fact that I do. And yes rainycal, that is on a less than a grooms wage!

I just don't get the moral justifications of it. Surely the young girl would be more beneficial to her own groundings and learning the value of money by doing it herself or the dealer setting up an instalment plan for her to pay monthly or as suggested let her buying at cost price with maybe a couple hundred added for her keep? As far as I can see this is only a profit making exercise for the dealers. They need a sale and people are willing to plough money into it. End of. I don't believe all the gumption about she would be the best person to care for the animal, a sale is obviously more important, otherwise the cost of horse would be reduced surely?

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
This whole thing leaves a nasty taste in my mouth to be honest. There are Charities that are DESPERATE for funds that are struggling and rely entirely on donations.
An example, although not horse related, are places like Hope House. My daughter is very severely disabled and we have to fight tooth and nail for any kind of funding for just about everything :( She is life limited so we have alot of help from charities to make her short life a happy one (and yes I have a horse but I also go without pretty much everything for my daughters things). And then there are people like this who are having money donated left right and centre...really p*sses me off grrrrrr. I wouldnt dream of asking for money like this :(

koeffee

Visit site
I love how you all know the full story and are all hiding behind a fake name???!!!! From what i know of Cng they are honest on their dealing, we all have to make a profit some where??? no different to going to work, they may sell one horse a month £2000 doesnt go far when you have to pay staff, feed bill and live??? i have friends who have bought from them and couldnt rate them highly enough, i was in this situation years ago when i worked with horses, they double the price on a horse i wanted at work but on my poor horse wage couldnt afford but horse was to be boarded as part of job, same thing as above except they are asking for help?? no offence but you lot preach a load of crap, i hate this forum because you all hide behind a computer. You have nothing better to do, so what if its your opinion and you dont agree with it, but keep it off a forum were it could effect someones living.

Anglebracket

Visit site
I don't see the problem with this. If people want to give her the money let them. It's theirs to do with as they please. I don't see why this is morally questionable, as long as there is no deception or blackmail involved.

The wife

Visit site
I love how you all know the full story and are all hiding behind a fake name???!!!! From what i know of Cng they are honest on their dealing, we all have to make a profit some where??? no different to going to work, they may sell one horse a month £2000 doesnt go far when you have to pay staff, feed bill and live??? i have friends who have bought from them and couldnt rate them highly enough, i was in this situation years ago when i worked with horses, they double the price on a horse i wanted at work but on my poor horse wage couldnt afford but horse was to be boarded as part of job, same thing as above except they are asking for help?? no offence but you lot preach a load of crap, i hate this forum because you all hide behind a computer. You have nothing better to do, so what if its your opinion and you dont agree with it, but keep it off a forum were it could effect someones living.

There is no hiding here, wouldn't take a rocket scientist to work out who I was from the posts! Personally I haven't slated them as a business, just their practices on this situation.

Nightmare before Christmas

Visit site
I have no issue with the dealers but I do think it wasnt the best move for their business. Although look at the dealers that were last bought up on here (ticktock), they seem to be doing better than ever after some negative press!

I personally wont be giving money, I need it for my own horses and yes of course the dealer will be making a hefty profit. I do think a payment plan or something could have been worked out. Having worked with a dealer in the past I fell in love with many horses over the years but they were there for business and sold on as intended, if I wanted one I had to buy one like everyone else only I would get a small deal.

I do find the whole thing crazy but then the horse world is going mad these days! No wonder I struggle to sell any horses as everyone expects something for nothing these days :(

BBD

Visit site
a very poor decision, I was going to ring up and look at one of their higher value horses but I wont bother now because this shows they haven't got morals which id like in someone i was going to buy a horse off!
we would all love to ave someone pay for a horse for us but most of us realise thats not real life!!! Not really giving a good example to this young lady - if you want something GET OTHERS TO PAY FOR IT...
does she not have any family to help her?????

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I love how you all know the full story and are all hiding behind a fake name???!!!! no offence but you lot preach a load of crap, i hate this forum because you all hide behind a computer. You have nothing better to do, so what if its your opinion and you dont agree with it, but keep it off a forum were it could effect someones living.

Perhaps you'd have done better posting this little rant under your own name:D

rosita

Visit site
Insane, people are potty! After reading everything how are people suckered in to send money without investigating the situation properly?! There is no defence for the dealer or girl it's absolutely ridiculous and IMO they should send all the money back and ask people to please donate it to our fully stretched charities. Muppets everywhere.

southerncomfort

Visit site
When people start to talk about raising money to buy one a horse, the decent thing to do is to state immediately that you do not want the donations to be made, and that the ethical thing to do is save to purchase your own horse.

If people want to donate to a registered charity they should do that. Saying that a charity might have benefited from this exercise is a complete red herring.
In my view allowing this to continue was very similar to begging.

Absolutely agree with this. If the girl wanted this particular horse so badly then she could have sold the horses she already has to fund the purchase.

The whole thing stinks very badly of a money making scam to me.

Tinypony

Visit site

Not a lot of hiding going on for my part.

Principle - asking others to give you money for personal purchases is begging. Allowing others to do it on your behalf, not a lot of difference. As others have said, how gullible are people who send off their hard-earned cash as the result of internet appeals for personal gain? What a shame the money wasn't fundraised direct for a needy registered charity.

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Meh....

..I've found said page and smiled at it.

Although I find myself smiling at the fact someone is trying to get other people to fund the price of a new horse, I just think let them get on with it!

'A fool and his money are easily parted....'...

I will continue to donate money when I can, but I'll be giving to actual charities whose money is accountable and I know where it's going....

Leave 'em to it, live and let live and all that!

Peace all, the Season of Goodwill is approaching....

lucianna97

Visit site
i know this situation closely and believe that it was simply an act of kindness to match a horse to a perfect owner, the girl does have the money to keep the horse but as with many people cannot get the lump sum together quick enough before the opportunity had gone. i support this story fully and believe it is a great act of kindness from the dealer as they are getting nothing more than a normal sale apart from knowing the wonderful love the horse would get from the owner

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Am I being a bit dim here? Is someone asking for donations to buy a horse they can then afford to feed and all the extras that go with keeping any animal? If that is the case why aren't they saving that cost over the next few months and use to purchase a horse, they are very cheap at the moment! Saying that more fool the people giving the funds I am sure this girl hasn't got a gun to their heads.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
My goodness, Koeffee what a lot of bile you spat out, there is an old saying fools and parted from their money and it seems someone has found the key, nothing wrong in commenting on it and saying how gullable sorry stupid some people can be and how some people can manipulate said stupid people. :D

mellymoo27

Visit site
People are allowed there opinions and mine is that Cng are a fab bunch of people, I have hada few dealings with them and also am very grateful for rescuing an old horse I once owned. I have one of there horses now who will be with me forever. Please dont slate them without knowing them, yes there will be people who have had experiences they are not happy with but you can't please everyone all of the time. There horses are extremely well cared for and homes are a paramount. I can fully understand why some people have these views and know I maybe would feel the same if I personally didnt know these people. They work very hard and imo do a great job