Done to death - grazing muzzles which don't rub

VioletStripe

Visit site
(sorry, I know there are loads of posts but I have NEVER found one)

Thinking ahead now the days are getting lighter - I have never found a muzzle to fit my Connie which doesn't rub along either his chin groove or the points of his cheekbones. We've tried a Shires flexi graze rubber one, a deluxe one with fleece, and a bog standard webbing one.

He's 15.1-2hh and has a narrow head - hanging onto his pony proportions :p (we have to use power tools for his teeth because of this, too)

He's usually a cob headcollar, but weirdly a full bridle. Le Mieux headcollars and fly masks fit him beautifully, as does the Shires fly masks - so why I can't get a grazing muzzle to fit is beyond me! I really don't rate the Greenguard ones, I've never tried but I've heard they're bad for teeth?

Any help?

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Dinky muzzles are lovely and soft and rarely rub. My 15hh uses an XL with plenty of room to spare but due to the amount he was getting through I swapped to a Kramer one with a rubber bucket last summer and found it to be equally comfortable for him with no rubs anywhere.

vhf

Visit site
I have two - a Shires Deluxe, (full size for a cob size head) and an old style Greenguard. I switch between them as they fit very differently - less rubbing and less chance to damage teeth; I'm reasonably confident at 16 hours a day, 5 days a week, 7 months of the year, no harm is being done (I check with the dentist too). The Deluxe has to have the sheepskin washed every other day or it gets greasy and starts to rub - hence it helps having a second one anyway. She gets more grass in the Greenguard, and I'd say it's the less likely to harm teeth because of the way she grazes through it but she'd need to wear it longer at a time if it was the only option due to the increased intake.

sherry90

Visit site
I use the flexible filly with a leather headcollar and neoprene headcollar attachments across the nose and and poll.

Greenguard rubbed him and was very tough. He didn’t like having this one on. The flexible filly he wears happily.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I use flexible fillies and one pony does rub very easily. I found the little cable tie bits rubbed his nose. I’ve very easily (I’m no seamstress!) stitched some fleece over the noseband and he’s been fine ever since.

DirectorFury

Visit site
The Dinky muzzle rubbed mine really badly, I tried both the L and XL sizes and they still rubbed on her chin. I’m planning to try the flexible fillies one over the summer as they get good reviews.

chaps89

Visit site
Dinky muzzle rubbed the little one, fine on the bigger one and I liked how lightweight it was in comparison to normal grazing muzzles, but they are through it in a matter of days, it wasn't at all durable.

The shires deluxe (not the fluffy one) is sort of shaped/contoured so fits better than standard bucket muzzles. Never had any rubbing with those (but annoyingly she started to refuse to eat out of it)

I have one of the easy breathing 'ultimate muzzles' at the moment, they advise to size up but it rubs probably worse than any others I've tried.

Never had issues with the greenguard but ours were one of the first generation ones, the newer ones look much harder plastic

Widgeon

Visit site
I also use a flexible filly with a sheepskin pad velcroed to the nose. I tried fleece stitched on but the problem was I couldn't dry it out when it got wet, so then it rubbed anyway. The velcro sheepskin works better (for us).

ETA this may only have been a problem because my horse is out 24/7 - I think come spring when it goes back on I will probably need a spare sheepskin pad to swap in so he always has a clean one on.

VioletStripe

Visit site
Looks like I'll shop around for Flexible Filly then! Oh the joys of owning a native...

Thanks for your responses everyone - I wonder if it's best to order a few of these brands and try them on to see which fits best? Might need to get the sewing kit and some fleece out, too :cool:

chaps89

Visit site

VioletStripe

Visit site
Thinline Eu are now shipping to the UK and are cheaper than the UK distributor for the flexible filly. They also have the headcollar that goes with the muzzle which means you don't have to have the ties to hold the muzzle on right next to the horses face, also a field safe headcollar.
https://www.thinlineglobal.eu/shop/...line-flexible-breakaway-halter?v=79cba1185463

Spooky - I was just looking at that!

What size grazing holes do you peeps go for? My Connie is going to be feral out 24/7 for the first time ever this summer (well, since coming over from Ireland as a 4yo) so thinking about get the small hole and muzzle-ing during the day and out naked over night?

m1stify

Visit site
I have a green guard at 1st I only bought the muzzle snd used with a normal head collar it did rub but I used vet wrap/fleece around the prone to rub areas and that worked well. However last year I bought the head collar to go with it and it did not rub my horse once and she wore it for months.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I use flexible fillies and one pony does rub very easily. I found the little cable tie bits rubbed his nose. I’ve very easily (I’m no seamstress!) stitched some fleece over the noseband and he’s been fine ever since.

Me too with my PRE mare.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I bought some sheepskin offcuts and added them to my lads muzzle. He has two muzzles from different brands and we alternate between them each week because they rub in different places.

DirectorFury

Visit site
Do you use a normal head collar or the one they reccomend? Is it tricky to fit and what size would you say for a 14.3 with a chunky head? Thankyou
The recommended headcollar is currently on backorder with everyone so you're looking at a 3-4 week (minimum) wait for one right now. Not ideal if you need it for the spring grass!

sherry90

Visit site
I use a leather headcollar with neoprene type headcollar attachments pieces. No rubs with that last year (have yet to need it this year!)

J&S

Visit site
I have just looked at the Flexiblefilly muzzle and it looks so much nicer that any others I have seen. A bit of an investement to get the two items (head collar and muzzle) but could be well worth it in the long run, A bit of a pooh if the head collars are not available but presumably one can use it with any other field safe one. I have no trees really to be caught on but there are some sticky hard branches in the hedges and she does like a scratch.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Flexible fillies again!!
I did buy fieldsafe hard collars but they learnt to remove them on purpose quickly. So I have just got simple close fitting cheapo head collars. My fields are mostly electric though to *touch wood, nothing to get stuck on.

Visit site
I’m going to invest in one for Baron, he trashes a muzzle every year and last years is on its last legs but I cannot dare not use one as he is a hippo! I’m already thinking of putting it on now as the grass is coming through