Done to death I know but rider weight?

Alibear

Visit site
I often wonder if we are right about saddle fit, though. We have a rule that English saddles mustn't bear with after the last rib. But Western saddles more than cover that area with a huge panel. I've no experience of the use of western saddles, do they cause issues in the loin area?

The skirts on the western saddle are not weight bearing so they can come further back than an English saddle.
If you want to know all the ins and outs this is a good place https://www.facebook.com/westernsaddlefit/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

A western saddle shouldn't come further back than the whorl on the horses flank.

Jamima

New User
Visit site
I am sorry if this offends.
But isn't it just common sense? If a horse is going well and improving with an over weight rider with no signs of anything wrong then surely they are a good partnership?
If the horse is clearly showing signs of discomfort no matter how small then maybe time to lose weight/ find a more suitable horse?

All this 15% stuff doesn't work for me, personally I would judge each individual as an individual.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I wonder if the weight ratios would work out differently depending on the work the horse is expected to Do??
Would a horse used as a happy hack be able to carry more weight than it's more competition type counterpart?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I am sorry if this offends.
But isn't it just common sense? If a horse is going well and improving with an over weight rider with no signs of anything wrong then surely they are a good partnership?
If the horse is clearly showing signs of discomfort no matter how small then maybe time to lose weight/ find a more suitable horse?

All this 15% stuff doesn't work for me, personally I would judge each individual as an individual.

Very few will clearly show signs of discomfort, muscle damage under the saddle takes weeks or months, and hind leg issues can take years to show up.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I wonder if the weight ratios would work out differently depending on the work the horse is expected to Do??
Would a horse used as a happy hack be able to carry more weight than it's more competition type counterpart?[/QUOT

I think a horse hacking is likely to be able to carry more weight than when asked to be athletic.
However those that are asked to be athletic, properly schooled to best carry a rider etc will be in better nick to carry a rider in the first place.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Can I ask how much people normally add on as tack weight?

I hop on the scales wearing whatever I'm going to be wearing to ride (including hard hat and BP), and carrying the saddle. I don't worry about the weight of the bridle or saddle cloth, but some people do opt to weigh those as well :)

As mentioned up thread, I personally won't ride whilst I weigh more than 12 stone, but to be clear that's 12 stone before adding in any riding gear and saddle weight! I've been pondering why that's my line in the sand. I suppose that it's really because I don't personally feel fit enough to ride properly above that margin - I'm only 5'2", so not tall enough to carry myself gracefully when heavier than that. So I think that it's as much for my own sake as for the horse; I want to ride, ergo I need to be healthy and take care of myself.

lauraea

Visit site
well i've just sat and read through all of these replies, and now i am intrigued! I have always known I am slightly long legged for my pony (despite being only 5ft 2!)

but now i'm interested to hear your opinions?? His max carrying weight is 60kgs (agreed by osteopath, vet and stables where he is on livery) I weigh about 56kg fully dressed with boots, hat and holding his tack

So.... if you saw me out and about would you consider me too tall and heavy for this pony?? Honest answers welcome! :D

19029623_10154525715102155_6200078494121090761_n.jpg

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
well i've just sat and read through all of these replies, and now i am intrigued! I have always known I am slightly long legged for my pony (despite being only 5ft 2!)

but now i'm interested to hear your opinions?? His max carrying weight is 60kgs (agreed by osteopath, vet and stables where he is on livery) I weigh about 56kg fully dressed with boots, hat and holding his tack

So.... if you saw me out and about would you consider me too tall and heavy for this pony?? Honest answers welcome! :D

If I saw you out and about I would think lucky you being able to ride ponies. I love ponies, but at 8 inches taller than you, I can't. My main observation from that photograph is that the saddle looks too big for him, though not for you. It may be the way he's standing but it looks as though it may be a bit far over his shoulder and a little long on his back. How big is he? I do think that ponies can carry more for their size than horses can and so I doubt you are too heavy.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'd think you would look a lot more harmonious, and possibly more effective a rider, and possibly more comfortable, on a bigger pony. But I wouldn't think you were too heavy for him as long as he was carrying you nicely.

lauraea

Visit site
He's about 13.3hh and very slight with it. Interesting you mentioned the saddle as I am actually on the hunt for a new one. The saddle in the photo came with him and is an extremely old lightweight wintec saddle which I think was actually used to break him in. Not entirely sure on it's seat size (will have to check tomorrow) but it's definitely a factor to consider.

Admittedly I do ride several different horses at work, right up to 17.2hh and I do feel at my most comfortable on the horses between the 15 - 16hh mark, however nothing compares to the bond and fun I have with my own little boy so I certainly enjoy him a lot too!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/great-yorkshire-show-asks-heavy-riders-dismount-626324

The Great Yorkshire Show (GYS) said it is “frustrated” by the fact people had to be asked to dismount as they were too heavy for their rides – a year after it first took a stand on the issue.

Of the 12 people asked to dismount during the 2017 show (11-13 July) four chose to be weighed, all of whom were found to be more than 25% of their ponies’ weight.

Livestock and entries co-ordinator Amanda Stoddart-West said it was “disappointing to be in the same position” as last year’s show, at which eight people deemed too heavy, each more than 20% of the horse’s weight, were asked to dismount.

“It’s a sad state,” she told H&H. “All we’re doing is protecting horse welfare, but I don’t know how you go about changing the whole attitude.”

The GYS schedule stated that action would be taken regarding riders of inappropriate weight for their mounts, whether during, before or after classes, and the same message was displayed on signs on the showground.

But Mrs Stoddart-West said most of the offenders were adults on ponies, sometimes riding for “hours” in preparation for a child to compete, and that some of those who were asked to dismount were less than polite.

“It’s in our regulations, but they seemed to think they were above it,” she said.

“We were told we didn’t understand the sport, that we were getting at the profession, encouraging eating disorders. One argument was that there’s no scientific proof behind the maximum weight but usually, if the picture looks wrong, it probably is.”

Mrs Stoddart-West said that although arguments ensued when riders were asked to dismount, the decision also had a number of supporters.

“Having been screamed and shouted at, to then hear people coming up saying well done and that we were doing the right thing made it worth it.

“We don’t want to sound arrogant but if people want to come to our show, they have to abide by our rules.

Merrymoles

Visit site
If a pony truly needs an adult to ride it for hours in order to prepare it, then it ain't a child's pony!

And I wonder how many of these children's ponies with "behavioural issues" that require an adult to ride them in are actually suffering with back/hock pain due to having been ridden in by too heavy adults too many times and are protesting in the only way they can. I salute the GYS for sticking to its guns on this one.

Jamima

New User
Visit site
There does have to be a line drawn somewhere but seriously if your horse is comfortable, your tack fits and you look after it properly I don't see a problem.
I wish people would care as much about proper horse abuse and not just the plus size rider ambling about on their more than capable horse!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
There does have to be a line drawn somewhere but seriously if your horse is comfortable, your tack fits and you look after it properly I don't see a problem.
I wish people would care as much about proper horse abuse and not just the plus size rider ambling about on their more than capable horse!

But all the people who care about the too heavy rider, DO care about 'proper' horse abuse. The problem is, some people need to have a line drawn for them because it either doesn't occur to them that they might be too heavy, or they don't care. Where would your line be, as you say there does need to be a line drawn somewhere?

Jamima

New User
Visit site
My own personal line (at 16 stone) is that I wouldnt ride a pony! I wouldn't ride an elderly/weak horse.
But do I ride my fit and improving well muscled TB x ? Yes I do.
Do I ride and school my friends big exracehorse? Yes I do.
I am yet to see anyone out and about in the UK of someone I thought was underhorsed.
I would let a heavier person than me ride my horse but as long as they could ride and carry themselves well.
It's just my opinion, like you have yours.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I do think to some extent that warm up for small pony classes (and potentially ridden M+M breed classes) is a different scale of issue to oversized 'leisure riders' pressure to win never helps these things. Three counties 6am was a who can lunge in the smallest circle with the tightest side reins competition (as I headed to the loo in my PJs). There were some discussions about adults on small show types overheard too but they seemed to mostly think it was just a bit of a joke so I don't think it will go away easily.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Do you weigh 16 stone without clothes and tack? If so, you are asking the horses you ride to carry about 18 stone. There isn't a pure thoroughbred in the world I'd be happy to see carry that amount of weight, sorry.

I am yet to see anyone out and about in the UK of someone I thought was underhorsed.

Really? I am afraid that you may be fooling yourself in order to justify riding lightweight horses at your own weight. Apologies if this offends, but I don't know how else to put it.

Jamima

New User
Visit site
Do you weigh 16 stone without clothes and tack? If so, you are asking the horses you ride to carry about 18 stone. There isn't a pure thoroughbred in the world I'd be happy to see carry that amount of weight, sorry.

Really? I am afraid that you may be fooling yourself in order to justify riding lightweight horses at your own weight. Apologies if this offends, but I don't know how else to put it.

Lightweight horses? My horse in a TB x god knows what I would say rhino! He is built like a bloody brick our house and even my vet said he would carry 2 big men hunting all day!
The exracehorse is a big well muscled lad and goes extremely well for me as he does for other people at different weights.
I don't need to justify myself to anyone but I am pretty certain with my own knowledge, experience and team of people I have to help me that I am not doing any harm to my horse or others that I ride.

Leaf

Visit site

I know that yard :)

tankgirl1

Visit site
I weigh 12 stone and ride my 14hh cob mare in a lightweight saddle. I am however very aware that I am at the top end of what she can comfortably carry, so we tend to just plod about, although when she is fit and trim she has no problem with a flat out gallop, although we always pull up for a breather before the big un's do, and I don't school or jump her as a rule

rachk89

Visit site
Can you give me your opinions on what limit my horse has? He is 16.1hh, oldenburg x connie, been off work now for 2 months due to kissing spine but is healing. Not the best picture but it's the most recent I have.

2kk50g.jpg

SO1

Visit site
I agree. In the article the riders were 25% of the ponies body weight. I am an adult on a chunky new forest, he probably weights around 450/460 kilos 25% would be 17 stone. There is no way I would ride him if I was 17 stone. I am fluctuate between 8 stone and 8.5 stone and I think that is ok for him, but even at 20% that would be 14 stone which I think would still be a bit heavy for him.

If the ponies were being worked in by adults who weight more than 20% of the bodyweight of the pony at the show as the ponies were too sharp to be ridden by the child until the adult had tired them out a bit I expect this is not an occasional occurrence and they are probably being schooled by an adult outside the show as well. One would question if the ponies were suitable for the children anyway or that it was not the correct partnership eg novice pony with novice child. I expect a lot of the small ponies in the show rings are ridden by adults or larger children off the showground anyway due to the difficulty of finding someone at the correct weight with the ability to school them to the level required for the show ring and expect with nearly 1/3 children being overweight even finding a child rider of a suitable weight may become an issue in future.

I wish this policy was more widespread.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Can you give me your opinions on what limit my horse has? He is 16.1hh, oldenburg x connie, been off work now for 2 months due to kissing spine but is healing. Not the best picture but it's the most recent I have.

2kk50g.jpg

If he didn't have KS then I would say 14 stone (including tack) as he's quite nicely built. However, with his current issues I would say as light as possible, ideally 10 stone or less, at least until he's fully fittened.

ihatework

Visit site
My own personal line (at 16 stone) is that I wouldnt ride a pony! I wouldn't ride an elderly/weak horse.
But do I ride my fit and improving well muscled TB x ? Yes I do.
Do I ride and school my friends big exracehorse? Yes I do.
I would let a heavier person than me ride my horse but as long as they could ride and carry themselves well.
It's just my opinion, like you have yours.

Oooo. I am overweight but significantly lighter than you.
I wouldn't ride any just backed horse unless they were a real chunk.
I wouldn't sit on a 15.2hh MW horse with back issues that I own but loan out to a lightweight,
I ride out for an event rider who has a couple of fit string 15.2/16hh types - I decline to excercise those

I have a young homebred sporthorse that will likely end up around 16.1hh and I've already Tod myself I will need to be under 13st if I hope to ride him myself

alainax

Visit site
I'm torn both ways with this. I'm an over weight rider with a big fit chunky horse. My biggest fear at shows is someone calling me fat or telling me to get off the horse even though I know we are fine together.

On the other hand I own a pony that I'm too heavy for so can't ride, so splash out on getting him broken and well schooled by excellent small trainers for the kids. When it comes to a show it will only be the kids riding, and do think it would be unfair for them to be up against something which requires an adult to knacker it before a child can be put on it.

I guess you could say I want the cake and to eat it :D

Last edited: