Donkey lovers!

cblover

Visit site
Is there lots of us out there? I’ve always loved donkeys and my friend has 14 of them. Quite a varied bunch but cute all the same. Two foals due soon.

Does anyone keep their donkey with their horse? How does it work out? I’m in the early stages of thinking about getting one or two but no decision as yet. Lots to think about first and discuss with hubby.

I have room for 2 but was wondering if my horse would be pushed out and they would pair up. Maybe one to make friends with my horse first would be a better way to go.

Any advice or experiences would be great.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I love donkeys! I used to look after several in a past life, but I don't have any of my own. I think it's fairest to keep them in pairs, they bond for life and really have close friendships with other donks which seem different to the relationships between horses.

I couldn't keep them in with one of mine because she chases them :eek:

The other things to bear in mind is they really do live on fresh air, they mostly require very sparse grazing which may not be the same as your horse, and they are absolutely not waterproof. If they get wet and cold it takes ages to dry them out :eek:

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
I have kept donkeys with horses without problems. The last donkey was one of lifes downtrodden beasties and always bottom of the pecking order and put upon. Others have been great companions for youngstock and liked to play. Donkeys together will play hard - you may think that two geldings are fighting, with horses they do not play as much.
They do live on nothing but I give everything 24 hr access to eating straw and feed the horses extra, they stand in and get some hay and a bucket feed if needed.

only_me

Visit site
I’ve 2 donkeys that live with a horse, they all live very happily together. Horse does chase the donkeys but not continuously and it makes sure that the donkeys do some sort of exercise every day lol

TTK

Visit site
I’ve 2 donkeys that live with a horse, they all live very happily together. Horse does chase the donkeys but not continuously and it makes sure that the donkeys do some sort of exercise every day lol
exactly the same. Donks in pairs make very good horse companions without separation issues, love my donkeys, they like a Polo a day as a reward.

Snowfilly

Visit site
We had a tiny donkey who pair bonded with our Shetland mare. They were joined at the hip, and when the Shetland had a foal one year, donkey decided she was step mum and they shared foal duties!

Plus side - quiet, affectionate, could keep anyone company, was rideable and nicely schooled - she could do gymkhana games and poles I the floor jumping.

Minus - not waterproof at all, had boxy upright feet which took some looking after and was hard to keep weight on in the winter.

Would certainly recommend to anyone!

cblover

Visit site
Thanks everyone, it’s great to hear the positives. My main concern is the difference in what they need to eat. How can a donkey be a companion for a horse who doesn’t need its grazing restricted? I’d hate the donkey to end up poorly and overweight.

How do people make it work?

Irishdan

Visit site
Ive had my Donk for 11 years and he has always been used as a companion to my horses. Currently keeps my ex racer mare out of mischief. They live out 24/7 with a large shelter, ad lib hay through Winter. In Summer I fence off a track round field perimeter for Donk to restrict his grazing. Never had any bother.

only_me

Visit site
Thanks everyone, it’s great to hear the positives. My main concern is the difference in what they need to eat. How can a donkey be a companion for a horse who doesn’t need its grazing restricted? I’d hate the donkey to end up poorly and overweight.

How do people make it work?

I let winter make them thin lol.

I don’t restrict diet- donks & horse (and 3 alpacas) live out 24/7 in 5 acre field with access to stable yard as please. They all get lots of hay in winter and nothing in summer. They get a token feed when I’m feeding the others. both donks have a crest in summer but that decreases over winter nicely. feet get done regularly, about every 3-4 months i think. We just arrange when they need doing. Horse doesn’t gorge so eats a bit, then sleeps for a bit, then wakes up and chases the donks for a bit. Keeps the donks from gorging lol.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
I used a bucket muzzle with a couple of extra holes in the base. I found that it worked better than any grazing muzzle which the boy could remove too easily. My last donkey could open any gate latch, even one I needed two hands to open. Clever tyke.

cblover

Visit site
Awww clever little things aren’t they. Lots to think about before I decide if my particular set up will work. Feast or famine grass wise....typical! I’ve got an acre that’s been rested all winter and now full of grass and two acres that I’ve used all winter that needs a rest and has no grass on it.

figgy

Visit site
We got two donkeys last weekend...ive got a big 17.3hh Irish horse, 11 years old and a 22month baby, well my big horse is so scared of them he couldn't even walk past them to go to field, but my baby horse loves them.
Donkeys are in different field, It's taken my big horse a week to get used to them.
But the donkeys are amazing and it's lovely to have them.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Is there lots of us out there? I’ve always loved donkeys and my friend has 14 of them. Quite a varied bunch but cute all the same. Two foals due soon.

Does anyone keep their donkey with their horse? How does it work out? I’m in the early stages of thinking about getting one or two but no decision as yet. Lots to think about first and discuss with hubby.

I have room for 2 but was wondering if my horse would be pushed out and they would pair up. Maybe one to make friends with my horse first would be a better way to go.

Any advice or experiences would be great.

I lost one to colic
This new one we had for 3 years and we got from Mikes Donkey's http://www.mikesdonkeys.co.uk/. In summer she is adjacent to ponies but evening she goes with my welsh A and also through winter she is with the ponies.

IMO this is the best for donkey's as it gives them everything they need. https://www.millbryhill.co.uk/eques...MI9YSFppzL2gIVhJ8bCh1biQuLEAQYASABEgISQ_D_BwE

cblover

Visit site
Thank you everyone, it’s lovely to hear how you’ve managed to keep both horses and donkeys together. There is one near my fields but he’s an entire, I’m looking for a couple of female one...if I decide to take the plunge.

Myloubylou

Visit site
My horse is terrified of donkeys. I kept her at a yard that had 2, they were in a paddock near the school so could only school properly in other half and getting from stable to field was an experience. We were there 6 months and she never got over her fear. She’s not keen on sheep or pigs either mind