Don't shoot me .... rugging ....

thenervouscob

Visit site
My girl lives out & is native but late teens, there's seriously strong wind & downpours at the moment and set to continue next 24hrs or so. I usually wouldn't contemplate rugging when it's so mild but the fact she has zero shelter available on an exposed slope and a constant battering hours on end to come, would you pop a rug on? Or will the fact it's mild make it ok with the wind & rain preventing any chill?

*Runs to hide behind the nearest solid structure!*

NinjaPony

Visit site
I would rug. This is freak gale weather, totally out of the ordinary for August. If she was coming in overnight, or had a shelter then maybe not as she could dry off herself with some hay etc, but if she is out 24/7 with no way of getting out of the worst of the weather then IMO a rug is sensible.

*ducks*

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
My new summer series Rambo has come into its own in this weird up and down weather. My mare has PSSM, this rug keeps her top line dry but doesn’t cook her if the sun comes out.

DE0FF3D7-14F3-46C1-A904-996E639A2118.jpeg

This is her after a p1ssing wet night outside in the above rug. The mesh sides let the rain in, but her back is dry.

850E5BB6-89FD-4FDE-AC6D-E484353C5AC6.jpeg

Goldenstar

Visit site
I was considering rugging mine as the weather has been awful but they where fine when they came in this morning so they went out again without

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
When I checked ours this morning after the rain, they were fine. I had been concerned as there is zero shelter from weather from the south in their field. As someone said above, it won't actually be raining for 24 hours, it will be heavy showers. But you know your horse best, so if you think she needs a rug, put one on;)

Summit

Visit site
Its 22 degrees here and not forecasted to drop below 15 overnight, so no rugs going anywhere near mine despite rain and winds.
Each to their own for weather protection tho, as it's all changeable with deluges and temps from place to place :)

Same...:they spend long enough rugged up during the winter months

Auslander

Visit site
The only concession to the weather that I've made is to open up the middle of the track, so they can fuel the furnace with grass, then head onto to the track to shelter in the hedges. If I didn't have natural shelter, I'd be rugging them

thenervouscob

Visit site
Thank you all! So tough isn't it. If she had shelter I'd leave it but without, I don't want her being battered all night long. I've got a no fill but it'll just go straight through so it'll have to be the trusty old 100g which I suspect is much less now due to the amount of washes anyway. I think I'll have to invest in one of those Rambo's, it looks great!!

WelshD

Visit site
It's been a funny week, mine have gone from rugless to 200g to 100g to fly rugs and now back to rugless.

I feel no guilt about rugging as I see fit

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We went out to do the horses in a downpour, because we had watched it for 1/2 hour and it didn't seem to be lessening, all togged up for wet weather. The rain stopped, I took my raincoat off and now am sweating like mad because the temp is so high and the wind has dropped. Ours don't have much shelter but they were fine when they had their tea - and they have plenty of hay to warm them up. I did consider opening up the field where they can shelter under the holly bush but decided that he ground is so wet they would cut up all the nice grass we have been growing in there. So they have stayed where they are.

Visit site
Our wussy thoroughbred and clipped Cushing's boy have no fills on. Tb has still spent all day moping in his field shelter though 🤣 fatty mares are perfectly happy out naked and although they do have a field shelter they don't use it.

Littlebear

Visit site
Nope from me, I have 2 wbs living out they are fine with no rugs it’s too warm, just don’t overgrown their coats will do the work
Mine have shelter but don’t even use it!

J&S

Visit site
Mine do not have rugs on and don't actually seem cold but they came rushing over to me and were happy to go in their stables with a hay net for the night. Our field is very open to the prevailing wind.

Britestar

Visit site
Two of mine came in shivering. The EMS horse hasn't a pick of fat on her ( lost 80kg -planned), doesnt wear a rug in winter, but was shivering so hard I had to find a fleece for her. Was cosy later on and staying in anyway.

babymare

Visit site
I had the typical good doer of a Sec D who only ever wore a fly sheet and went out naked what ever the weather. But the TBx shivered at sight of a rain cloud let alone rain and had to be rugged accordingly. The are individuals like us humans 😀

Leo Walker

Visit site
Another one who is really glad I bought a Rambo Summer Series! Mines fully clipped and when its really tanking down and windy needs some sort of waterproof cover, but doesnt need any warmth, so this has worked really well.

WandaMare

Visit site
Mine are naked but they do have field shelters if needed. One of them has been hooleying around both yesterday evening and this morning playing the drama queen in the strong wind so she's not going to get cold. The other one looks much happier than she has for a few weeks, she hates the hot weather. I would only consider rugging if the rain becomes more persistent and the temps drop by about 5 degrees. I can see that some horses would need rugs in these conditions though, it is pretty unseasonal.