Double bridle reins - how do you hold yours

Wheels

Visit site
As per title - I'm always looking for different ideas and things to try and this topic really interests me at the moment because I have been introducing my horse to a double.

This particular horse likes to carry his head either high and nose pokey or low ish and overbent. In the snaffle he does a combo of a little bit of leaning and a little bit of pulling. So I hold my double reins in the french / fillis style as I feel this gives me a much better separation of the rein aids. This rein hold is new to me but it's been a revelation. I can lift him with the bradoon without any torque on the curb simply by lifting my hands a little and I can action the curb without using the snaffle rein by either lowering my hands or slightly tilting my hands forward. Either way it is a momentary action on the curb which is then released.

I've used other rein holds in the past but never felt able to use and release either rein in quite the same way

So how do you hold yours and what's the reasoning behind it?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
For me, the pretty common snaffle rein between ring and little finger, and curb above that.
I'm mainly riding on the snaffle rein so I like it to be where I'm used to, and current double bridle horse is reasonably consistent in the hand and doesn't generally need the curb picking up unless she's being particularly rude ;) that's why i have the curb on her, just for those times when I need the big guns ?

Eta. Previous horse curled up in a snaffle but just the weight of the curb encouraged a more confident contact. So same configuration worked for her too.

Because I'm most familiar with that I also hold draw reins the same way, I'm used to adjusting them from that hold.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I ride with top over bottom so the bradoon on outside of the last finger and curb between 4th and last finger (the latter where you usually hold a single rein). I was taught this way by the late Valerie Millwood, then endorsed by Sybil Smith and then Jennie LC.
The bradoon has the slightly stronger leverage when required, with the curb sitting softly under.
This method has worked for me over many years in the show ring and hunting field etc.
Edited to add, Adding in a hunting whip and a child on a lead rein, you learn very quickly how to manage, a big step on from showing, lol.
I still feel 'naked' riding B Fuzzy in a single rein!

Last edited:

Wheels

Visit site
For me, the pretty common snaffle rein between ring and little finger, and curb above that.
I'm mainly riding on the snaffle rein so I like it to be where I'm used to, and current double bridle horse is reasonably consistent in the hand and doesn't generally need the curb picking up unless she's being particularly rude ;) that's why i have the curb on her, just for those times when I need the big guns ?

Eta. Previous horse curled up in a snaffle but just the weight of the curb encouraged a more confident contact. So same configuration worked for her too.

Because I'm most familiar with that I also hold draw reins the same way, I'm used to adjusting them from that hold.

So your curb rein is between ring and middle finger?

Wheels

Visit site
I do it all ways ,that’s how I was trained to adjust it to suit each horse .I often use the snaffle rein round the outside of my little finger and the curb between my middle and fourth fingers .

Thanks, have you tried the fillis method or the 3 and 1 method? I don't think I've ever seen the latter used in real life

Wheels

Visit site
I do it all ways ,that’s how I was trained to adjust it to suit each horse .I often use the snaffle rein round the outside of my little finger and the curb between my middle and fourth fingers .
And how do you decide which hold to use for which horse? Is it trial and error or is there a system to help you decide?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yes I have used three and one quite a lot in the past it’s a very classical way to do it .
It is feel I just experiment my way in .
Do slow hacking in your double and experiment .
I am just starting Sky in the double and I always just hack the horses in the double for while before I start work in school .
I think it helps them get their brains round it in a relaxed way .

conniegirl

Visit site
I currently ride with bradoon where you normally have a snaffle and the curb One finger above that So that they cross.
On cobbus generally the curb is loose unless he is being an idiot as he sucks back if you use it too much.

On previous horses i have ridden with straight reins, so bradoon where snaffle goes and then curb round my pinky as that was how the horse preferred me to ride

C1airey

Visit site
Snaffle in the usual place, curb above. I broke my little finger on my left hand playing rugby and as was traditional, went to the pub afterwards rather than to A&E. There’s absolutely no strength now in that finger and it’s agony to have a rein around the outside of it.

GinaGeo

Visit site
French way for schooling or Dressage - It’s how my classical trainer teaches it and I find you do get more subtlety.

But for everything else (Side Saddle, hunting, Jumping, Hacking) then I ride how I learnt too as a child, bradoon normal and the curb through my 1st and 2nd fingers. With the reins crossed. I do find the reins easier to handle like this.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
There are various ways to hold the double reins, I presume the "Fillis" method is the same as the French/Russian? Bradoon over the top of the hand and curb coming in at the bottom?
hands_-_fillis.jpg

The three-in-one style is the classical way to hold the reins, and the way I do it when the horses are sort of "intermediate" (NOT Intermediaire!). Ultimately I ride either on the curb alone or with all four reins in the one hand (when doing displays). When beginning in the double bridle, or before that when riding on the curb and serraton, I generally use the English pattern of rein holding, but aim to go to the three-and-one as soon as I can.
I read somewhere that that's the Spanish Riding School way of holding double reins. Don't know if that is correct?

Last edited:

Wheels

Visit site
Yes cortez your pic is correct although I have the curb rein coming out between my index and middle finger as I find that easier to adjust each rein.

Palindrome

Visit site
The way Charlotte Dujardin does. I figured it was good enough for her ?

How does she do it?

I think I was taught to have the bradoon under the pinky and curb between pinky and ring finger, like the Fuzzy Fury. Although it is very rare that I ride in a double (just for exams really).

When riding with a snaffle only, I was taught in France to ride with rein below the pinky but in the UK they told me I could put the rein between 4th and 5th finger which I find much easier as my arms don't feel so short and I can bend the elbow more.

Last edited:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
How does she do it?

I think I was taught to have the bradoon under the pinky and curb between pinky and ring finger, like the Fuzzy Fury. Although it is very rare that I ride in a double (just for exams really).

When riding with a snaffle only, I was taught in France to ride with rein below the pinky but in the UK they told me I could put the rein between 4th and 5th finger which I find much easier as my arms don't feel so short and I can bend the elbow more.
You have five fingers!?!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i have been doing it the way CJD does for the last 50 years, perhaps she copied me :D:D:D i find the other way which most people seem to do very illogical as i use the snaffle rein more strongly than the curb

Otherwise

Visit site
I'm another who does it the same way as charlotte, the bridoon like a snaffle under the ring finger and the curb under the pinky. I find it easier if they're straight rather than crossed but I think it looks more correct or at least traditional if they are, there's photos of charlotte on show ponies with her reins crossed so it would be interesting to know why she switched her hold.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I'm another who does it the same way as charlotte, the bridoon like a snaffle under the ring finger and the curb under the pinky. I find it easier if they're straight rather than crossed but I think it looks more correct or at least traditional if they are, there's photos of charlotte on show ponies with her reins crossed so it would be interesting to know why she switched her hold.

cos she knew i did :D:D:D:D:D:D as if!!!!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Yet Carl rides with bridoon on outside of little finger and has a cross over. Part of me suspects this is to do with the horses they ride. Charlotte likes them strong in the contact whereas Carl doesn't because of his back. Proves its horses for courses really.