Double bridle reins - how do you hold yours

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Definitely horses for courses. I rode a previous WB horse with the same fingers but the reins crossed. My cob I rode like CJD it just seemed to work better.

Carlosmum

Visit site
Reins crossed, Bradoon on the inside between pinky & ring finger. Snaffle on outside. Sometimes i move my fingers over one, but always the same way round. Been riding like that since I was 10 and first started riding in a double in the show ring!

AUB

Visit site
Bradoon between ring and little finger, and curb above that between rind and middle finger. I’ve tried the fillis hold, but it just feels weird.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Bradoon between ring and little finger, and curb above that between rind and middle finger. I’ve tried the fillis hold, but it just feels weird.[/QUOTE

i thought i was wrong so did try but found it difficult with the reins crossed. once i noticed that CJD did the same as me i felt more relaxed about it...

Polos

Visit site
I ride holding the ‘normal’ way as it’s the only way I’ve been taught but I’m interested to try the fillis way.
I have fibromyalgia and dyspraxia so my grip isn’t very good. Sometimes I find it hard to be clear with my hand aids and I feel like I’m using curb and snaffle rain at the same time which is counter productive and confusing for the horse. I wonder if the fillis hold will help eliminate this...

Wheels

Visit site
I ride holding the ‘normal’ way as it’s the only way I’ve been taught but I’m interested to try the fillis way.
I have fibromyalgia and dyspraxia so my grip isn’t very good. Sometimes I find it hard to be clear with my hand aids and I feel like I’m using curb and snaffle rain at the same time which is counter productive and confusing for the horse. I wonder if the fillis hold will help eliminate this...

I dont think there is a 'normal' way, even on this thread there are 5 or 6 different ways and they each feel 'normal' to that particular poster

Try the fillis / french hold and see if it helps :)

palo1

Visit site
I wonder why the fillis/French/Russian hold isn't more popular? It is how I was taught (though I rarely ride in a double these days) and I found that very straightforward and logical. I also found it gave me a steadier contact and was easy to adjust. I am interested now because my older horse seems to find a double suiting him better these days - probably because I can be a bit clearer. I don't school him to any level but do need a better level of communication when hunting!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I can understand why the fillis hold is effective but for me it's a completely different way of holding the snaffle rein and that's the one i want to use the most instinctively, so that's what keeps my snaffle rein under my ring finger where I expect it :p was thinking about it on Sunday and that's kind of what I concluded anyway ;)

palo1

Visit site
I can understand why the fillis hold is effective but for me it's a completely different way of holding the snaffle rein and that's the one i want to use the most instinctively, so that's what keeps my snaffle rein under my ring finger where I expect it :p was thinking about it on Sunday and that's kind of what I concluded anyway ;)

Well I have so much less experience of riding with a double that I am tempted to try some of the other holds now as the one I was originally taught is less popular - presumably for a reason!! :) :) On the other hand I could just throw all 4 sides in the air, catch them on the way down and see how that works out lol :p:p

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Well I have so much less experience of riding with a double that I am tempted to try some of the other holds now as the one I was originally taught is less popular - presumably for a reason!! :):) On the other hand I could just throw all 4 sides in the air, catch them on the way down and see how that works out lol :p:p
haha! some days I think that might be just as effective (the rhino being disguised as a horse is part of the reason why mine was in a double as soon as comp legal :p:p she is sensitive.... but only sometimes)
but if the fillis works for you then no reason to change really.