Double drop noseband

Theocat

Visit site
They are ugly but actually they look like they would exert far less concentrated pressure than a normal flash or grackle.

I'd have to agree. Hideous to look at, but I can imagine they could easily be more secure or comfortable for the horse. I'd certainly take any of these over a flash, which is a ghastly bit of kit

catkin

Visit site
I thought the latest research was that drops and grackles avoided pressure on the teeth that can happen with a cavesson (that's why grackles are now allowed in dressage) Can't quite work out then why add a cavesson strap, or am I missing something here?

The headpiece designs I think are interesting and worth looking at - but why negate the comfort there by strapping up the nose so awkwardly IMHO.

Orangehorse

Visit site
They are ugly but actually they look like they would exert far less concentrated pressure than a normal flash or grackle.

Agree, it also stops the problem of the cavesson being pulled out of place.

The cavesson would only put pressure on the teeth if it is too tight. What happened to the 3 fingers' width between the strap and the horse's face. Though if there is a flash strap the cavesson would move too low.

Last edited:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I thought the latest research was that drops and grackles avoided pressure on the teeth that can happen with a cavesson (that's why grackles are now allowed in dressage) Can't quite work out then why add a cavesson strap, or am I missing something here?

The headpiece designs I think are interesting and worth looking at - but why negate the comfort there by strapping up the nose so awkwardly IMHO.

Why? Because strapping the face shut allows you to hoick away on the reins and removes the horse's ability to get away from your atrocious riding, obviously......

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I don't think anyone, including those that have bought a stubben think it looks nice but I do think it serves a purpose. It's helped a couple of horses I know.

I am less convinced by those that are less 'revolutionary' and just seem to be tweaking the status quo which means they can make some interesting claims and they become the next cool thing. I do wonder like some of the other stuff if you have spent £100 on a noseband you are going to detect a change just because of the cost, I am sure the placebo affect is well linked to money spent ;)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I am less convinced by those that are less 'revolutionary' and just seem to be tweaking the status quo which means they can make some interesting claims and they become the next cool thing. I do wonder like some of the other stuff if you have spent £100 on a noseband you are going to detect a change just because of the cost, I am sure the placebo affect is well linked to money spent ;)

*related* that's why I videoed my horses with & without it when I had a fairfax girth to trial :eek: Was determined not to spend £200 on a girth so I REALLY don't think I rode differently, but even my skeptic physio friend could see a difference :D
Also what put me off the fairfax BRIDLE fittings was that I would want more than one session to decide if it was any different to our bog standard bridles. I think it's good that you can hire things for several days now... but yes, placebo effect will def still apply for some people.

Funny, I had a similar conversation with my trainer this week, I remarked that I had to keep reminding myself that things get better just through correct practice, and not to get despondent but keep the faith. He said that all too often people search around for the new bit, the new bridle, the new saddlecloth but really just need to do more practice :D

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Agree, it also stops the problem of the cavesson being pulled out of place.

The cavesson would only put pressure on the teeth if it is too tight. What happened to the 3 fingers' width between the strap and the horse's face. Though if there is a flash strap the cavesson would move too low.

Exactly.... You can fit four fingers under my cavesson noseband. It's not there for a job just looks pretty.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I'm sure a lot of horses (not all - some are always going to be a bit special) would be happier if the ordinary bridles they have already, actually fitted properly.

A lot of these weird and wonderful pieces of tack look more like fashion statements than anything else. :p

Why are they any more a fashion statement than show horses wearing tack that is chosen because in was in vogue in about 1880 .

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Yeah but, matchy and bling are proven improvers :p, instant dressage horse :D.

Exactly :lol:

Feral cart horse:
F8AF0580-8283-43AC-96E5-5E046D01FE97_zps1ydede8x.jpg

To dressage diva
6E9E9166-0AD7-40A7-93D4-09A0A8D11FB0_zpsdp3hi4st.jpg

*Backs back out of thread*

oldie48

Visit site
Goodness me, it's a cold, dismal, dreary time of the year and I like to log in to H&H for some positivity. If people want to buy bridles that are ugly and dress their horses in matchy matchy, well good luck to them. I doubt they will be doing their horse any harm by buying the stubben bridle and they might be doing it some good. I use a Micklem on Mr B. Why? Because I feel he is more settled in the mouth, at first it looked strange but now I just don't notice it. It's a piece of kit not a fashion statement. We used to have wooden skis, wooden tennis racquets and leather footballs, thank goodness other sports proved to be somewhat more open minded than equestrianism.

FfionWinnie

Visit site

Ooh is that in BD they are allowed? I was thinking about going to do some dressage tomorrow but the thought of having to swap bits around only to have to swap them back again was really putting me off. If I can use a grackle I'm there :eek:

Goldenstar

Visit site
Ooh is that in BD they are allowed? I was thinking about going to do some dressage tomorrow but the thought of having to swap bits around only to have to swap them back again was really putting me off. If I can use a grackle I'm there :eek:

You can use the grackle on you go .