Dreary Early January weekend plans??

Ambers Echo

Visit site
No thread yet as far as I can see. Couldn’t think of an inspiring name for it either.
I have re- introduced Lottie to jumping. She was quite calm about jumping in the summer. But I guess she was unfit then because she was WILD. Just so onward bound. She reminds me so much of Amber. So I am doing lots of jumping poles and tiny fences on a circle. She stays with me if I land and turn but more than 2 strides on a straight line and she was off! Lots and lots of work to do. On the plus side, she feels fantastic

I’ve got a Somerford clinic on Saturday, weather permitting. Hope it’s not a total car crash.

Katie has been offered an awesome 13hh section C to school/ride. He’s jumped metre tracks and scored high 70’s dressage but is an absolute pocket rocket so young owner is struggling a bit. And he is better/easier the more work he does. So Katie will do some work with him.

54746F9F-480D-4653-9ACA-D082670C9907.jpgB92B8526-42C4-45F3-8AC3-A16310D312EB.jpg5492DD0F-BCCB-4601-B144-5A47FA6B29E8.jpg

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
still nothing here. Kira is allowed to start more walkies in preparation for some turnout. progress... tricky to do as the lane is full of racehorses in the mornings and it's still a bit dark in the evenings. i think we might have to traipse round the arena. but it's better than nothing.

Frank is healing up well but likely to have another 2 weeks in the box. Another 2 weeks for me to worry about how to reintroduce him to the idea of turnout without him running straight through the fence (again!!)

I love horses
I love horses
I love horses
I love horses
I love horses
I love horses

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Dressage clinic on Sat & Sun. We get along really well with this trainer. Looking forward to it. Hopefully the snow and slush holds off while we're driving there and back.

Played with canter pirouette stuff today. He gave me some really great work, but it definitely made him tired really using that booty. Did some shoulder in walk canter walk transitions, and some big trot half pass work (as in trying to get the biggest steps/most reach/playing with steepness). He's so adjustable...could still have a better extended trot though ? #spanishhorseproblems

Last edited:

southerncomfort

Visit site
We are under snow again today and for the foreseeable. ?

Managed a quick ride in the school this week, first ride since mid December and first time in the school since Autumn.

He was mighty cross when he realised we weren't hacking out but he did everything I asked albeit grudgingly. He tried a new trick of leaning on my hands but quickly realised it didn't work and gave up.

I need to find some fun and engaging things to do in the school because he'd far rather be out exploring. Once he's fit again I might start loose schooling over the odd jump to see if that cheers him up!

TheHairyOne

Visit site
I have a dressage lesson saturday which I am looking forward to. Ive spent the last 6 months taking everything apart to deal with some schooling issues left over from my horses early years before me (no forwards unless it was jumping/exciting stuff!) and finally seem to have found the keys to unlock him (at least at home). Everything needs to be as close to perfect as possible and its turning me into a better rider.

Getting a tow bar fitted to my OH's car on sunday, which I am very excited about as its much, much better than the car I have been using for towing so I can make more plans and go further afield to play.

Widgeon

Visit site
Current plan is a wood ride on Saturday and gallops on Sunday. We currently have a wallaby loose in the wood area so that vould be interesting!!

Photographs please!!

We're meeting some friends for a hack on Sunday, it's about a 70 minute drive with the trailer on and we'll have to be out early. Just got back this morning from a horrible run to the local garage on ungritted frozen roads with water sat on top of the ice. At one junction I had to run two wheels up on the verge so I could stop - awful. Thankfully the weather is looking slightly warmer for Sunday or I would've cancelled as I'd be scared to tow in those conditions.

Bernster

Visit site
Forecast is 100% chance of rain on Saturday ?.

Bertie knocked himself in the field so he’s on light duties this week, hacking out. He’s getting filled back legs at night too but no heat, except a tiny bit warm where he knocked it, so I don’t think it’s anything major ? have ordered some cleavers and marigold for the filled legs, and been cold hosing and bandaging this week just in case.

Finn reminded me what a trooper he is as we had a really productive lesson on Wed. I’ve not been schooling him as much lately (shiny new horse to play with - slightly guilty owner!) but my ins schools him regularly. He showed off some of his party tricks, which my ins has been working on with him.

It’s been interesting riding two quite different horses. Finn looks like he’s going nicely but he doesn’t really use his back end unless you get him working properly, and he’s not as supple through his back, which I hadn’t really appreciated until I started riding Bertie who is so supple he’s almost too wiggly.

Widgeon

Visit site
Finn looks like he’s going nicely but he doesn’t really use his back end unless you get him working properly, and he’s not as supple through his back, which I hadn’t really appreciated until I started riding Bertie who is so supple he’s almost too wiggly.

Ah this is interesting - mine is like this too, he can look quite nice but he doesn't really use his bum unless he feels there is Very Good Reason. In once of our last lessons a pigeon jumped out of the hedge at us (horse's words, not mine) and we ended up scooting round in a spanking trot with my instructor standing in the middle shouting "USE the piegon! USE the pigeon!". It was very funny. And it did get him pushing through from his back end properly!

Roxylola

Visit site
It’s been interesting riding two quite different horses. Finn looks like he’s going nicely but he doesn’t really use his back end unless you get him working properly, and he’s not as supple through his back, which I hadn’t really appreciated until I started riding Bertie who is so supple he’s almost too wiggly.
Reminded me of lunging spotty on Tuesday trying to decide if a saddle was good enough. Me to my friend - I mean, its moving, but he's moving so is it just that it moves with him ?‍♀️?

Nicnac

Visit site
Quick ride at dawn this morning and he was awesome so hope the practice run bodes well for some BD DTM on Sunday. Tomorrow will be spent trying to get a grey horse, who is out far more then he is in and when in like to roll in his own sh*t, clean without a hot water shower; weather will be too horrible to ride - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Sounds exciting @HufflyPuffly - tell more!

CatInTheSaddle

Visit site
Quick ride at dawn this morning and he was awesome so hope the practice run bodes well for some BD DTM on Sunday. Tomorrow will be spent trying to get a grey horse, who is out far more then he is in and when in like to roll in his own sh*t, clean without a hot water shower; weather will be too horrible to ride - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Sounds exciting @HufflyPuffly - tell more!

Good luck with the DTM! We're just waiting on our next music to come back, though actually riding to it seems strongly saddle/strength/weather dependent at the mo.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Booked in on a clinic tomorrow with baby horse, it is with an eventer and involves jumping, but I'm not sure what sort. We are only up to X poles atm, so as long as it is in an indoor (which it is) with another to work round, then we may be just cantering round and popping a X pole, or it could be more. I am very relaxed!

Good thing, as it was snowing this aft, but I still felt I needed to ride out if we are at a clinic tomorrow. It cleared up and we had a nice time. Sunday will also likely be hacking.

Rigs is just Rigs, and will mainly be eating!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I've not been into this thread for a while! Mostly been hacking with share horse. Really missing my RS lessons but lacked time and now lacking money. Hack the other day was a bit of a weird one - share horse and I each had a 'moment' - she planted herself for no obvious reason so I had to get off and lead, thankfully she was an angel with her manners for me to remount from a log, totally unlike her as was her looking at everything - people walking? How dare they!? Then she got a real power walk on heading home downhill on the bridle path and I suddenly got really 'wobbly' so got off and lead her home. Felt crap about it because she really is a confidence giver (the very first time I rode her we had a lovely canter out hacking, I hadn't done that for years nor if the 6 months of my previous share) but people at the yard were so lovely about it as was her owner who was very understanding.

We did a bit in the school today to build the confidence back up and it was nice to do something different, although for some reason I've lost my canter transitions with her. Even out hacking. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but it's really frustrating! I think I'm tensing in all the wrong places probably, and much as I'm trying to keep an open mind about the endurance style/treeless saddle I do wonder the lack of knee rolls is making it harder for me to work out where everything needs to be in the lower half of my body. It's probably good for my riding in some way though right?! Back riding her on Sunday so feeling very lucky for the three rides in one week :)

Caol Ila

Visit site
Snow today in Glasgow. The season premiere of my favourite show - British People Panicking at Snow. The first episode is “Bet y’all wish you had winter tyres.” OH had to push someone out who got stuck in front of the flat.

Foinavon, however, is from rural Aberdeenshire, and he has 4x4, diff lock, and a low box. The people with shod horses looked at us enviously as we set off into the park. We were the only ones going out.

1D2B98F5-1F03-4A3B-BCB2-E775E3049876.jpegFC2C7D86-F05C-4932-90A0-3D882BBBB28F.jpeg

I was impressed by how well barefoot hooves grip on everything short of sheet ice. No more waiting for a farrier to put on snow pads for me. Woot!!