Dressage attire - suggestions

Puddock

Visit site
Hello, I know it’s been done many times, but I’m hoping to get out and about dressaging sometime soon and I’m looking for some turnout inspiration.

In the short-term, it will be very much local and unaffiliated Intro/Prelim and I’d like to make use of what I’ve already got. Horse is black with four white socks. My tack is black. I am tall with long legs, but not what you call slim (size 14) and I’m not sure I’m brave enough for white breeches!

Here are my current options:
Ultra traditional - tweed, navy velvet hat, brown gloves, coloured stock, cream breeches, cream saddlecloth. But is that going to clash with the fact that horse is essentially black and white and make his socks look odd? I do own a white saddlecloth but would it look strange with cream breeches? I’ve got black numnahs, too, but IMO he’s big and long-backed and looks a bit weird with no saddlecloth...

Navy jacket (old Pikeur Diana, so it’s long, not like these fashionable bum-freezers), navy hat, white stock, would need to buy navy or black gloves..., cream breeches, cream saddlecloth. Or same question re white saddlecloth.

Longer term, I think I might like to go down the dark grey route (as opposed to black), but bricking it as I think I’d have to wear white breeches.

Am I going to have to bite the bullet and buy some anyway?

Anyone who’s not extremely svelte got a similar horse and any ideas? It’s a minefield...

Maesto's Girl

Visit site
I am a 14 and so long as you get some nice quality white breeches, they are not that terrifying

But in the sake of not buying anything as yet, I would go with option 2. And you don't have to stick to white - so cream saddle pads are fine - this one is "champagne"

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4ba.jpg

oldie48

Visit site
I've got a black horse without any white and despite being old I wear white breeches and really like them and would put a white saddle pad with them and I've got a warm black and a lightweight navy jacket which I switch around depending on the weather. When I had a coloured horse with white legs, I avoided using a white pad as it made his legs look dirty. I think beige breeches with a cream pad would look fine and you could wear any jacket. With my tweed I don't wear white anyway, looks much better with beige breeches. I'd wear whatever you feel smartest in. I had all my stuff prior to getting black horse but if I was starting again, I'd also go for dark grey jacket and white breeches. I hope you have a fun outing!

Puddock

Visit site
Wow, looking fabulous! White looks great on both of you.

That champagne saddlecloth is quite close to what I have, although I think your gorgeous palomino probably pulls it off a lot better than my great oaf!

And @blood_magik - loving the grey jacket, too.

Thanks very much for the black horse tips @oldie48 - you’d think they’d go with anything, but no...

From what you’ve all said, option 2 will do us for a bit. Then all going well, I’ll be brave and buy the white breeches. Maybe save the grey jacket if we ever get to affiliate!

Roxylola

Visit site
I'd advocate for a not white saddlecloth, a very white saddle cloth often demonstrates that our white bits are less than white

Attachments

• received_348038253257457.jpeg
    received_348038253257457.jpeg
    246 KB · Views: 13

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i used to use a cream saddlepad with cream breeches, I think it looked fine.
I have white ones now but mainly just because they are easier to come by.

Skib

sites.google.com
When I was having dressage lessons, RI warned me about getting the right clothes and I tried on white breeches at Olympia in spite of my size and age.
In the non horsey world, you dont have to be slim to wear white. At some point in the last few years white jeans and very short distressed white shorts have both been fashionable and thus I own both. Not massively expensive - from Top shop or Gap. I havent worn them this year as cooking at home during Covid is best not done in white jeans.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I wouldn't be buying anything at the moment, you have plenty of options already, all of which will look nice and are acceptable.

I had a cream/champagne saddlecloth, my jods were a creamy beige, the bridle I used at the time had cream padding and my gloves were cream so it all toned nicely.

P.forpony

Visit site
Either option is fine just depends on what you feel best in.
I much prefer to wear tweed but I ride a native and it somehow just feels more appropriate.
I also have a passionate dislike for a bum freezer! I think they’re terribly unflattering even if you’re built like a beanpole, so embrace your Diana!