Dressage book recommendations

Jingleballs

Visit site
I was really interested in some of the different schools of thoughts discussed in an earlier thread about getting your horse working in an outline.

I have the usual collection of "schooling exercises" books which I find quite interesting but looking for some recommendations of some more dressage specific books which have a more classical approach centered around seat aids and getting the horse forward before worrying about what the front end is doing and then gradually adding those aids.

Can anyone make any recommendations?

Nothing too complicated or complex - I'm looking for something the provides a good grasp of the basics with plenty of exercises to try.

ihatework

Visit site
I think Gerd Herschman 'Tug of War' is always worth a read and if you can get to see his biomechanics lecture then this is very good and something anyone training horses, especially young ones, would benefit from. That said, I wouldn't get too hung up on GH, he has some very good and valid points which are well expressed (at times) but it is wrapped up in a big bundle of evangelical hero-worshippers that can somewhat cloud the experience.

Polotash

Visit site
You might like the "Ride with your Mind" books my Mary Wanless.

Sylvia Loch and Heather Moffat worth a try too...

Halfstep

Visit site
you need the Bible of Dressage:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Das-DressurPferd-The-Dressage-Horse/dp/3885427605

:):):):D:D:D

No honestly, you cannot get a better book than this. Forget about anything else, if you want something that sets out the sport of dressage and the training of a dressage horse, this is the best thing available.

I also recommend Walter Zettl: Dressage in harmony. It is the closest thing to a handbook that we have.

Everything else comes with a lot of "baggage", especially Heather Moffat et al. (and especially Gerd H.). The above books are simple: how to train and ride and produce dressage horses according to the "classical" German tradition.
For the French school, try Henriquet on Dressage, which is a really good introduction to the French method by one of its top practitioners.

Farma

Visit site
I think Gerd Herschman 'Tug of War' is always worth a read and if you can get to see his biomechanics lecture then this is very good and something anyone training horses, especially young ones, would benefit from. That said, I wouldn't get too hung up on GH, he has some very good and valid points which are well expressed (at times) but it is wrapped up in a big bundle of evangelical hero-worshippers that can somewhat cloud the experience.

I would probably leave before the riding demo begins also ;)

Sol

Visit site
Heather Moffett's revised Enlightened Equitation book!! Love it :D It is fab, so simple but detailed at the same time?!

I also have Twisted Truths of Modern Dressage by Philippe Karl (very interesting! his DVDs are also fascinating), Tug of War: Classical vs 'Modern' Dressage (again, a good read but not too difficult for 'normal' people like me to get through!), I have two of Carl Hester's books which I like & are good reads. Then I have a couple of second hand ones I picked up at the bookshop across the road that I am working my way though at the same time as some books on training young horses by various authors... :) I also have a Ride With Your Mind one which I was reading, but now seems to be living in the car :eek: I should retrieve it some time! It seemed interesting though if a bit wordy and lacking photos to keep my attention! :p

I need more books! :eek: :eek:

Bernster

Visit site
I'd second the recommendation for Mary Wanless' Ride With Your Mind - is a bit techy in places but I managed to follow it and thought it was great.

Helped by finding an instructor with a similar approach and then going on one of her amazing bootcamps - brilliant! Off again in August.

I've also just bought Heather's book but not yet read it!

ihatework

Visit site
I would probably leave before the riding demo begins also ;)

God yes. I caught the end of a demo when he was riding and it was pretty terrible.

Such a shame because the bare bones (excuse the pun!) of the biomechanics aspect is very good indeed.

Jingleballs

Visit site
Thanks for all the recommendations!! I'll have a look on amazon and find out more to see if I can find one that suits me!

I'm not someone that learns from reading - I need to do things and have things explained to me in detail - my instructor says I ask more questions that anyone else she teaches but I like to make sure I totally understand why I'm being asked to do certain things!

Quadro - I might take you up on that - going to have a dig about and see which "Ride with your mind" book I have - I *think* it's the masterclass one which is slightly different.

Quadro

Visit site
Not really my thing ;) Was a present and i think i read a few pages and was upset at the lack of pictures ;) Its quite heavy going i think, maybe one to read a bit then leave for awhile but see what you think.
Q

soulfull

Visit site
the RWYM masterclass etc are very heavy reading and concentrate on specific riders, I didn't like it much. However the rwym essentials is easy to follow, plain English and a great help

It explains about which muscles to use to do things correctly and I have found it invaluable