Dressage calling query?

mastermax

Visit site
Hi I am about to attempt a dressage test next Sunday the first one for many years. I have a long term, life long illness that leaves me with cognitive issues and short term memory problems. My husband who is an accomplished horseman refuses point blank to call the test as quite frankly he is PANTS!!! He is either four moves too slow or ten moves in front so no help at all and then giggles at his own stupidity. Anyway I came up with the idea of me recording the test calls on my phone and pressing play just before I go up the centre line and hopefully can listen to myself calling the test.
Is this allowed please?
Many thanks and now need to check I actually have pockets in dressage jacket.

ihatework

Visit site
No it wouldn't be allowed.
You would be better off getting an experienced caller to come with you.

I suppose if unaff you could ask the venue/judge if it would be okay (but don't be surprised if they say no or say yes but go HC)

Charlie007

Visit site
I doubt it would be allowed. If I haven't managed to rope someone in to call for me I just ask and there is usually someone willing to help!! Good luck and enjoy!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Speak to the secretary, explain your situation and I am sure they will find someone to call it for you.

We have been taking a young horse to the local riding club recently and there is a lovely lady who calls tests for a £1 and donates the money to WHW.

Just ask, people are kind and most willing to help. Enjoy your competition.

Farma

Visit site
I would be very surprised if anyone allowed this! you can normally pay £1 for a caller or collar someone you see calling for someone else (this happens all the time!) or better yet learn the test?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I would be very surprised if anyone allowed this! you can normally pay £1 for a caller or collar someone you see calling for someone else (this happens all the time!) or better yet learn the test?

If you read the opening post, you will see a valid reason for being unable to learn and retain the test.

Farma

Visit site
Ah yes I see! well revert to paying someone at the centre ...honestly you can normally find someone willing easily or the centre will arrange if you call ahead x

mastermax

Visit site
Thank you so much for your replies, I will see if I can find a kind person to call for me. Unfortunately Farma, I can learn the test but as AA said I struggle to recall it. I spent four years at Uni to become an accountant and sometimes cant remember what I did five minutes ago nowdays, it does get frustrating. Thank you again for your help.

MissTyc

Visit site
Big smile and ask around on the day of the comp. I have never seen anyone turned down for asking nicely; in fact I often end up calling for the rider after my rider if I have been calling.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I had a funny moment at Solihull recently. Lovely lady in a panic gave me her book with the page open and asked me if I would read a prelim as she was nervous and had forgotten the lot.

She trotted up the centre line and tracked left, I looked at the test and it said right ! the bell did not go and I was standing there thinking - oh eck !- the rider started a circle and was looking at me hoping I was about to say something useful ! by luck the wind caught the page and flipped it over and I realised she had given me the wrong test. She was getting back to the track as I realised and stepped in with instructions. Phew, close one.

mastermax

Visit site
I had a funny moment at Solihull recently. Lovely lady in a panic gave me her book with the page open and asked me if I would read a prelim as she was nervous and had forgotten the lot.

She trotted up the centre line and tracked left, I looked at the test and it said right ! the bell did not go and I was standing there thinking - oh eck !- the rider started a circle and was looking at me hoping I was about to say something useful ! by luck the wind caught the page and flipped it over and I realised she had given me the wrong test. She was getting back to the track as I realised and stepped in with instructions. Phew, close one.

Excellent - love this!

TGM

Visit site
Agree with the others, if you ask around at the competition you are likely to find someone willing to read your test. I've often called for total strangers at competitions!

oldie48

Visit site
I am always asking complete strangers to call for me. If I do 2 tests I'm fine with the first but always struggle with the second (I have no excuse at all). People are lovely, they call for me and we end up having a nice chat. i am always on my own, so really pleased to have someone to chat to. Don't worry, just ask and I'm sure someone will be happy to help.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I am always asking complete strangers to call for me. If I do 2 tests I'm fine with the first but always struggle with the second (I have no excuse at all). People are lovely, they call for me and we end up having a nice chat. i am always on my own, so really pleased to have someone to chat to. Don't worry, just ask and I'm sure someone will be happy to help.

Well - ditto. I can learn one test OK, but I panic and think that if I do two I will get them muddled up. There is virtually always someone who will call for you.

Calling a test is a skill to be learned, so not everyone can do it first time. I remember I asked my sister to call and she made such a hash that I had to retire, she just garbled through it and didn't give me time to complete the movements. I don't know to this day if it was deliberate to annoy me, or she really didn't appreciate that I couldn't follow what needed to be done. NOT a happy memory and a waste of an entry fee.

hibshobby

Visit site
I've never heard of charging for a called test - good idea for a charity bash however. I call a lot as those I am groom for often need it and I'll quite happily do for others. If they are after those I groom for I'll stay for 2 or 3, if before I'll do 2 or 3 while my riders are warming up. Perhaps organisers could offer a service as called at an extra 50p per test for charity ?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Definitely ask the venue. Dressage is not my thing and lack of an arena of any sort makes it hard to learn even an intro and I have always got a caller no problem at the venue, they will know who is decent at it!

Damnation

Visit site
Dressage calling is an art, I happen to be very good at it. Its all about timing when to call the next section as they finish the last section so they have enough time to prepare for the next movement, but not too early that you confuse the rider!

I won't call higher than Novice though. I called an Elementaty test ONCE and nearly had an anurism, it was all so bloody fast and the horse was wound up and flying through the test like Speedy Gonzailes!

I often ended up calling for several people in a row, never bothered me and people areusually very happy to help :)

mastermax

Visit site
Fingers crossed then, I will find someone, thank you to everyone. Husband tried calling at home and we end up nearly divorced as he blames me for riding too quick or too slow and not keeping in time with him! Interesting concept though, waiting mid arena whilst he finds out where on the page he is up to.

smja

Visit site
I've never heard of charging for a called test - good idea for a charity bash however. I call a lot as those I am groom for often need it and I'll quite happily do for others. If they are after those I groom for I'll stay for 2 or 3, if before I'll do 2 or 3 while my riders are warming up. Perhaps organisers could offer a service as called at an extra 50p per test for charity ?

Our livery yard has dressage comps once a month, it's £1 in the charity tin if you don't have your own caller but want one! One of the organisers or one of the experienced helpers will then call it for you.

Fun Times

Visit site
OP have you tried getting the tests with diagrams for your OH to call from? Am guessing he is a non rider and he might find it easier with the diagram as then he can correlate what you are doing with what is on the page. Also it just might help you to be better able to recall a few of the movements as you learn the pattern rather than the written movement if you see what I mean.

mperson01

Visit site
I tried what you suggested for training at home, and it didn't work very well.
I compete unaff and most venues are very accommodating, so would suggest phoning ahead, explaining your issue and asking if they'd have anyone to help. Failing that, as others have said, just ask about on the day. I've called several times for other people and quite enjoy doing it.

Booboos

Visit site
Contact BD and if you can't get a dispensation to be able to do what you propose with the recorded test. It won't be sorted out in time for this competition but might solve the issue long term.

mastermax

Visit site
OP have you tried getting the tests with diagrams for your OH to call from? Am guessing he is a non rider and he might find it easier with the diagram as then he can correlate what you are doing with what is on the page. Also it just might help you to be better able to recall a few of the movements as you learn the pattern rather than the written movement if you see what I mean.

I have tried this unfortunately. OH is a very accomplished horseman and has hunted most of his life. He stays on over most things but has no finesse regarding schooling or dressage. I am going with the hope that someone will call for me. I will try and post a result and photo on Sunday if I manage to get around the arena! Thank you everyone again for your help