Dressage Girth Length!

m1stify

Visit site
Would be very grateful if anyone could post a pic of their dressage saddle girthed so I can see how far the dressage girth should go.. I think mine is too long and comes up too far but no dressage peeps at my yard to see what it should look like! Thanks in advance

JFTDWS

Visit site
You can see where Fergs' comes up to in this (just about best shot I have to hand). Not sure if it's "right" or not. Can't get any shorter as that's an 18"... I guess it could be longer though...

943643_553366559607_1556521890_n.jpg

Last edited:

Abacus

Visit site
I'm afraid I can't do a picture but mine comes to about the same place as the last picture. I think it is too long and comes up high but he seems to like it and it happier than with a shorter girth, he seems more sensitive lower down, and got annoyed with being girthed up and having the buckles tightened.

eggs

Visit site
No pictures but I fit mine so that the buckles are clear of the elbow. I also don't want the top of the girth to sit too close to the bottom edge of the saddle cloth.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Also no pictures, but mine fits to about a hands width of the bottom of the saddle flap. I like to have the buckles well clear of the elbow.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I was told that a good guide is to take 18 - 20 inches off the length the horse needs in a normal girth (so a horse that needs a 50 inch normal girth, needs a 30 to 32 inch dressage girth). However, as Milliepops says, you must make sure that the horse doesn't catch his elbows on the buckles.