Dressage saddle recommendations?

Flashheart

Visit site
Hello,

Rapidly coming to the conclusion that my GP saddle does nothing for me in terms of my dressage position (I’m reasonably tall with long thigh bones, current saddle gives me an enforced chair position, and feels like I’m constantly being thrown off balance). An absolute genius of a friend said it looked like the stirrup bars were too far forward for me. After reading up a bit, I think she may be right.

Current saddle is a 17.5” Thorowgood T8 anatomical GP saddle. Currently fitted with a NM gullet plate, but he has changed shape several times since I bought him in June, so I think buying one that wasn’t adjustable would be counter-productive.

He’s a 16.3HH Warmblood cross, age 16 if that helps.

All suggestions gratefully received.

kathantoinette

Visit site
I have a Fairfax (the old style) and its fabulous. Bought from a friend for £500!! Fully adjustable. I got it fitted it to my new horse with no problem. It's a dream to ride in/on :)

Farma

Visit site
Cheap is great as long as it fits. Second hand is great as long as it fits. Budget preferably under £1k. Could push it to £1.5k if it were completely perfect.

I think its personal choice of course but you have a fairly decent budget to buy a good saddle, I am tall like you and I like a fairly deep seat and shaped thigh/knees rather than huge blocks that pin you in, equally I don't like the totally flat ones either so my choices would be an albion slk, jaguar xkc, ideal Suzanne or Jessica, equipe (although you would def need to get one of those second hand even in your budget).

There are cheaper makes that do an ok job but don't come close to the better models, the kent and masters looks good but I personally hate riding in them, if you aren't used to anything else you might not mind and they look fab on a budget. The wintecs and tg types aren't my cup of tea either except for the isabelle version which is lovely.

Hope that helps :)

cobsarefab

Visit site
I love my easytrek it's there comfort one in a dressage cut. I love dressage saddles and have ridden in a few on different horses and this one has been by far the most comfy for me.

coss

Visit site
I really loved my keiffer dressage saddle but it didn't fit my current horse once the previous ones retired and didn't look likely to fit anything of mine in the near future so i sold it. It was semi adjustable. I've ridden in an albion - fitted the horse but the seat was too big for me. Frank baines are lovely and comfy. I've got a saddle company saddle for sale - fully adjustable but doesn't suit my horse (too long). I currently use a k&m compact dressage saddle and really find it comfy and puts the leg in a good position without giant knee blocks etc. Also had a fusion dressage saddle that was dead comfy but sold that as wasn't adjustable and my horse changed shape til it didn't fit.... and a collegiate dressage that the same issue occured... you'd have to do a lot of convincing to get me to go non-adjustable now.

Flashheart

Visit site
I really loved my keiffer dressage saddle but it didn't fit my current horse once the previous ones retired and didn't look likely to fit anything of mine in the near future so i sold it. It was semi adjustable. I've ridden in an albion - fitted the horse but the seat was too big for me. Frank baines are lovely and comfy. I've got a saddle company saddle for sale - fully adjustable but doesn't suit my horse (too long). I currently use a k&m compact dressage saddle and really find it comfy and puts the leg in a good position without giant knee blocks etc. Also had a fusion dressage saddle that was dead comfy but sold that as wasn't adjustable and my horse changed shape til it didn't fit.... and a collegiate dressage that the same issue occured... you'd have to do a lot of convincing to get me to go non-adjustable now.

Absolutely agree about it being adjustable- bought him in June- within a few weeks of being in heavier work he had changed shape, gullet changed. Month later saddle was moving, added a half pad, 6 weeks of box rest for a suspected leg fracture, changed shape again, gullet change, & added more padding. Back in work, changed shape again... saddle now still moving. Aaaarrrrgghhhhhhh.

I will flatly refuse to buy anything non-adjustable!

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I would find a good fitter and see what they think will work for your horse and for you, I know you want answers but ultimately there are so many choices, and we're all so different.

Personally, an adjustable headplate can be a bonus, but less often than you'd think. Wooden trees have far more choice of shape, so you are more likely to get a great fit (not saying synthetics etc don't fit, but they are more limited in shape, good if they fit your horse, but doesn't mean they'll fit forever even with gullet and flocking changes. I often find that horses that have fluctuated a lot seasonally especially develop better and more consistently, and settle within a few months, once in a better fitting saddle. Obviously there are exceptions, but for adult horses I find this to be a common theme.

I would aim to not have him in anything narrower than a medium, the narrower shapes are usually muscle wasted and although you need the narrower gullet for clearance, it then digs into the curve of the lack of muscle. Not a criticism as you're obviously using padding and not relying on the saddle alone, but just a thought.

And for horses that do change shape, two points. A good shim system (I find Mattes the best and most fine tunable) should tide you over many changes, especially seasonal ones, the second is that after two tree widths a horse usually (not always) needs a different tree shape, and this may be where you're at anyway with the saddle being unstable.

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Flashheart

Visit site
I would find a good fitter and see what they think will work for your horse and for you, I know you want answers but ultimately there are so many choices, and we're all so different.

I would aim to not have him in anything narrower than a medium, the narrower shapes are usually muscle wasted and although you need the narrower gullet for clearance, it then digs into the curve of the lack of muscle. Not a criticism as you're obviously using padding and not relying on the saddle alone, but just a thought.

And for horses that do change shape, two points. A good shim system (I find Mattes the best and most fine tunable) should tide you over many changes, especially seasonal ones, the second is that after two tree widths a horse usually (not always) needs a different tree shape, and this may be where you're at anyway with the saddle being unstable.

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Thanks, that’s all massively helpful. He lost a lot of his topline when on box rest for 6 weeks, followed by a return to work (still with no turnout) for another 6 weeks. Since then he’s got a pronounced hollow behind his shoulder, and I’m trying to get him working properly over his back to build muscle where he needs it.

This is challenging since I’m pretty much only one step up from a beginner myself (!) but I’m determined to do the best thing for him. :)

I’m planning to see a different saddle fitter to the one we’ve seen before - I want a second opinion. I’m going to spend a month getting him working better over his back, and then go and see her. I’ve been talking to her and she has seen video of us working, and thinks she can help.

I’ll update this with how we get on.

little_critter

Visit site

Agree with this, I was looking to get a cheap and cheerful dressage saddle (2nd hand). Didn't mind what make as long as it fitted. The saddler luckily had a good selection of saddles to try and brought a few new ones too (out of my price range, but to give an idea of what might fit). Some of the saddles you could see weren't right for her even before you did the girth up.
Unfortunately diva decided the one she went best in (and it was a very obvious change in her way of going) was an Equipe...not so cheap and cheerful!
But I did get a 2nd hand Equipe Olympia for £1300 and we love it.

Flashheart

Visit site
Oh he’s not easy to fit, and you could write what I know about saddle fit on the back of a postage stamp, so there’s no way I’m not getting a saddle fitter involved! :)