Dressage test numpty alert!

Mrs B

Visit site
Happy New Year all! A little advice please?

I don't do New Year Resolutions but I would like to try some online tests (no transport) in 2021. NB I haven't ridden a test in over 5 years and then only a few :cool:

So ... Prelim.

When schooling, is there a progression of difficulty through the numbers? Is there a 'Prelim 1' I should start with and take it from there? And then enter an online competition when I've more or less 'got' it? Or should I just plump for one I fancy and have a go?

TIA

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Broadly... the lower the number the easier the test. Prelim 1 is very simple with easy shapes and few transitions. But if you read a few and find one that looks appealing, give it a go :)

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
There is a lady on YouTube that goes through most tests if you type them in, she usually comes up first!

There will be some that suit your strengths more than others so probably a case of trying out a few! Prelim 7 is always the most popular prelim class whenever I go though!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
It can also depend on your horse and its way of going - I used to avoid 1 and 2 with my previous mare as there was just too much going round the outside and not enough to keep her busy. Note that some will also be long arena and some short arena so that might influence your choice. Best to look through them and work out which ones you think you can do. As long as you can walk, trot and canter in an arena, I would give it a go. Everyone starts somewhere, and even if (not suggesting it will be, but if!) your first test is a disaster, then that's your starting point to improve from. Good luck, and don't forget to report back. :) x

Bernster

Visit site
Equievolve coaching is the one mentioned above. Really helpful to learn a test and has some handy tips. I might dabble in some online too as with lock downs etc I’m not likely to be out for a while yet.

Britestar

Visit site
Check which tests the online platform is using.
There are only 4 or 5 that are officially licensed to use BD tests, the rest are using tests from other countries or have their own.
You don't want to be learning the wrong one!