Dressage trainers in Kent?

Maiko

Visit site
Can any recommend a dressage trainer in Kent who fulfills all of these requirements:

Sympathetic and calm
Absolutely NO "crank-and-spank" used
Good track record
Able to take the horse for schooling livery during my summer holiday (extremely important!)

I would prefer someone who would be willing to travel to my yard for lessons, but if not I am happy to travel to them.

Personal recommendations would be great, thank you.

Maiko

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hi ya I have a lovely trainer I think she lives Maidstone way, where are you? she is very classical and sympathetic

[/ QUOTE ]

I am near West Malling. Who is your trainer?

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
From what I have heard fiddlers green stud is good and able to take schooling livery and I was recommended Tanya Larrigan when I was looking for a dressage bootcamp for my slightly wayward ex racer
smile.gif

spike123

Visit site
my friend travels to Julie Draper for lessons in showjumping.She also has a sister who teaches dressage and both are aparantly excellent trainers.I know they also do schooling livery so it may be worth getting in contact with them.
I only know Julies contact details but i'm sure she would be more than happy to put you in touch with her sister. They are based in Great Chart near Ashford.

black_horse

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
From what I have heard fiddlers green stud is good and able to take schooling livery and I was recommended Tanya Larrigan when I was looking for a dressage bootcamp for my slightly wayward ex racer
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

no no no!!!

monkeymad

Visit site
Sharon Edwards is based in West Kent. She is lovely. Has been very patient with me and my TB, and has really improved our dressage marks in eventing. I have been to some dressage trainers who I feel are just too hard on the horses, I don't want to intimidate/bully my horse.

Maiko

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Leanne Wall gets my vote everytime. She is based nr maidstone and is a listed BD judge as well as a BYRDS rep.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does Leanne Wall do schooling livery? Does she travel to teach?

Also, does anyone know if Claire Lewis does schooling livery? I used to have sideways lessons with her some years ago so am happy with her as a trainer.

Ditto Mandy Lawrence? I assume she is still based in Harriertsham?

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
She does the dressage clinics at Cobham I think (leanne wall) - would avoid one of the names above after seeing a lesson given - pm me if you would like

clairencappelli

Visit site
I train with Leanne Wall and shes doesnt take horses forschooling livery but she will come out and school them for you if that makes sense? She is by far the best. Tried mandy - i found her a tad odd myself !

Leanne comes to me, im seeing her friday.

Maiko

Visit site
Thanks everyone, plenty of food for thought.

Sue McMahon has moved to Chelthenham, for those who know her as a Kent instructor.

GinaGem

Visit site
Alex Wyatt at Fiddlers Green is my instructor and is very good - he helped me get over my confidence problems so definately recommend him if you want someone patient. He's taken my mum's horse Badger for schooling livery while we've been on holiday too and he never wants to leave so thats always a good sign!

dressager

Visit site

David Rumsey. He's very a very nice guy, competes regularly himself, has own yard with lovely facilities and does schooling livery. He trains with Pammy and Spencer mainly, is a BD judge and teaches all levels. He works them properly from behind into a contact, no front end riding or compressing! He has helped me with my young WB for a year and has been very patient yet firm.

Sal_E

Visit site
David & Mandy both would potentially suit your outlook, Leanne absolutely would not - I suspect she'd tell you herself if you called & asked her...

Maiko

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
David & Mandy both would potentially suit your outlook, Leanne absolutely would not - I suspect she'd tell you herself if you called & asked her...

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of interest, why do you say she wouldn't suit? Is she a crank-its-head-in-and-kick-it-hard sort of person?

Sal_E

Visit site
Er, she's certainly not the quiet patient sort. She DOES make a horse look very smart, can't deny that, but she is very firm & tends to 'crack' horses in the first 5 minutes, and sometimes the rider too! I can understand why she suits some riders (especially competitive pony clubbers) but I honestly don't think she's what you're wanting.

Maiko

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Er, she's certainly not the quiet patient sort. She DOES make a horse look very smart, can't deny that, but she is very firm & tends to 'crack' horses in the first 5 minutes, and sometimes the rider too! I can understand why she suits some riders (especially competitive pony clubbers) but I honestly don't think she's what you're wanting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, that's very interesting. She's been recommended by quite a few people, none of whom thought she was particularly brutal. I have to say, I don't much like the sound of being "cracked" in 5 minutes!

Mandy Lawrence also absolutely would not suit; she talks too much and theorises way too much for me, and whilst I like Andrew Murphy and actually see him on a regular basis, he is fairly expensive!