Dressing wounds with honey - update.

Gingernags

Visit site
You may remember this, after kicking her leg through a wire square fence and removing the skin so nothing was stitchable.

Wound after accident
bytersleg3.jpg

A couple of weeks after using the honey dressing
bytersleg2.jpg

Well this is it now... about 2 months on
leg3B.jpg

Remember this wasn't healing, getting wet was making proud flesh worse and the heat and flies were a real problem, so we started using pure honey on a gauze dressing and bandaging over that.

Its been slow process but have to say I'm pleased with it. I think keeping it covered has meant its taken a bit longer to heal, but its kept infection at bay and we've never had antibiotics. Should be a minimal scar I think. Hard work but almost there now!

(the little blood spot is just where she's caught herself, we try to keep boots over it now)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think that you've done an amazing, amazing job on this.

You'll remember that I was all for you having the vet, antibiotics etc.

Just shows you what hard work, perseverence, and good old fashioned common sense can do.

Well done
smile.gif

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Yes i too have become interested in this honey thing old_girl,i have always heard of its healing properties but not in relation to horses,soam gonna have to keep some at hand
Excellent work on your horses wound coppertop
smile.gif

spike123

Visit site
I had never heard of using honey before but seeing your pics I am very impressed.I think I may well just have to get some to keep up the yard with my first aid stuff.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I'm forever banging on about how effective the honey and cod liver oil gauzes are on wounds, sometimes you have to give anti biotics too but they appear to heal with minimal scarring. Anyone interested they are called M and M Tulle dressings available via your pharmacist to order at around £12 for 32 (that's 64 days' worth of treatment at one every 48 hours...)
They were developed for human use in a severe burns unit and work really well on human leg ulcers too.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
That's brilliant!! Sugar works really well too in deep wounds. We treated one of our dogs with it after he got into a fight and made a big hole in his side. No scars at all although we had to spray fly repellent on it for obv reasons.