Driving tests to become harder...!

filly0447

Visit site
Why between 11pm and 6am? I frequently drive home later than 11pm [been passed 6months] and have to say it's my favourite time to drive because there are rarely other idiot drivers around!

I think they should cut the amount of minors you can get to 10, as 15 is an awful lot really.

ETS: I also think they should ban 1week intensive courses because IMO they are an awful idea

Macha

Visit site
In N.Ireland you are restricted to 45mph for your first 12mths after passing your test, which is very good.
I think everyone should have to take a motorway test, and some night lessons as well

samsaccount

Visit site
Macha, restriting the speed limit seems a very good idea! I think N.Ireland has it right.

I agree it would be better if people have motorway and night lessons also

Chex

Visit site
I don't think making the test harder would make any difference really, people drive so differently once they are in their own car, without someone telling them what to do. I failed my test twice, once for slowing down too early for roundabouts (I was thinking better safe than sorry, obviously not!) and the other was a dodgy reverse around the corner. However I passed despite going through an amber light, and forgetting to signal at a roundabout, both of which are far more dangerous in my opinion.

I think a lot of people won't drive more carefully until they have a near miss with something. I skidded through a junction last night (the road was closed though!) because I didn't think the roads were icy, got distracted by a police car and braked a little too hard. That was a huge shock to me, I was shaking like a leaf, the panic at having no brakes was unreal. I know in future I will be far more careful when it might be icy. I have been driving for almost 4 years and not skidded before, I think its easy to become overconfident and take stupid risks.

samsaccount

Visit site
What you did not fail for in comparison to what you did fail for is a lot more dangeous in my opinion. I also agree with the fact that people drive differently once they pass their test and i do think you are right when saying people may not drive as carfully as they would if they had exprieinced a near miss.

foraday

Visit site
Don't think making the test harder will be of any use!

Agree with the others on here that limiting the cc on the vehicles they can drive (And not changing their nova or clio to a boy racer with flames from the tyres), limiting their speed and where they can drive and the times. Then 12 months later take the advanced test then they can go on motorways and start to go up the grades of cc!

I was very lucky and I was taught by a Ex Hendon Police Traffic Trainer who I then after passing my test 1st time went on 12 months later to take my Class 1 police test (advanced motorists).

I too just drive carefully and took my HGV ages ago and also took my HGV Advanced-you see so many near misses from a lorry it is unbelievable.

At the end of the day we are all paying for the 'go faster' attitude with our premiums when we renew our insurance.

emma69

Visit site
Statistically more accidents involving young people occur at night (whether it is poor visibility, euphoria coming out of a club [alcohol related or not], the temptation to drive faster on emptier roads, fatigue, the fact most people won't have had the experience of driving at night much (things like driving on a country road, and not knowing how to avoid dazzle of oncoming lights etc) the fact other road user drive worse at night for the same reasons, being in a hurry to get home for curfew, etc.) Just some ideas -I believe it is a rule here for people with partial licences (or it could be some states, not 100% sure as I didn't do graduated licences), not sure of the exact hours, but basically overnight you are not allowed to drive, at no time are you allowed any alcohol in your blood (as opposed to the one drink or so legally allowed to full licence holders) there is a limit on the number of passengers etc for new drivers too.

Sooty

Visit site
We have one of the safest road systems in the world in the UK, but it is also one of the most crowded. Safety amongst young people is an issue, and governing cars is too easily overcome. I think the Pass Plus that is a post-test option at the moment should be compulsory, as it involves motorway driving, distance driving and night driving. Also, all learners should be made to have a course of driving lessons with a recognised instructor, not a few tips from their mate than get someone else to sit the test for them...

Doesn't matter how stringent the test is though, the real problem is unlicenced and uninsured drivers.

Iestyn

Visit site
I don't think they need to make tests harder, but they need to raise the standard all around - a better standard of tuition and test. In Oz I believe that you have to put P's on the car for a certain period of time and are not allowed to drive above a certain speed whilst you have the P's. They need to do something post test in this country (similar to in Oz). Maybe they could have a progressive test - you pass the theory and test 1 and then allowed on the roads with a P and restricted speed. You then have to do another test within a certain period of time to ensure that you are driving well, etc. and no. 3 needs to be some sort of motorway/ dual carriageway test.

Don't know how to work it but they're just my ideas!
laugh.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
Also I think that once you pass your test you should be made to have at lease a couple of lessons on the motorway, and explain the principle of the motorway.

[/ QUOTE ]
VERY good idea; was ages before I felt confident and competent to go on the motorway- I'm very sensible though, lots of numpties are not aware of their limitations!

[ QUOTE ]
I.E dont sit in the figging middle lane for no reason when the inside lane is clear, cutting me up at the slip road for the M6 and M6TOLL in your volvo and then swerving back into the M6TOLL road isnt a clever idea and it will p*ss me off and finally the speed limit is 70 mph why go on a mway to do 60? [granted lorries etc but car drivers - get real]

[/ QUOTE ]
OMG you'd have several fits if you lived/drove here!!! That's NOWT in comparison.
But please don't be rude about Volvos
frown.gif
I still miss mine!

Ginn

Visit site
I have always been taught that first you learn to past your test, then you learn how to drive.

Perhaps a years "probation" would be a sensible idea, not in terms of points but not allowed on the motorway, lower cc, no of passengers etc (as already mentioned) would be the best idea.

I think its in france you are allowed to start driving at the age of 16 but cannot hold a liscence and drive on your own until you're 18 (or something similar - it was explained to me in french!)

meandmyself

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
A graduated licence scheme like they have here in Canada. You have to do a mandatory number of hours in the classroom and lessons in the car, and you do more than one test (a basic first test, to make sure you are safe to go out on the road and a second 'proper' test)

Other measure I think would help - making the alcohol limit zero, limiting the number of passengers in the car, making a 'limiter' for car radios mandatory, and cracking down on cosmetic enhancements on cars that impair visibility (writing, very dark tints etc) would help, and a curfew that bans people from driving between 11pm and 6am for the first year after passing their test.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 11pm and 6am curfew would make passing my test pointless; I work late, and have to drive after 11pm (my parents pick my up ATM, but they won't for much longer)

The thought of the test being harder scares the life out of me TBH.

In my street, there are at least two unlicensed, uninsured boys (15-17) who drive. They've been reported, but nothing seems to be done about them.

I've been in for my test and failed a few times; not on my actual driving, but on a daft mistake while doing a maneuver. I am a safe driver, but I'm getting really dishartened to fail a test with 1 or 2 minor mistakes, and on big one from a maneuver!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Just thought I would post an article I found. It doesn't seem the test is necessarily going to be harder, but is likely to be longer and Learners are likely to be required to do a minimun numbers of hours driving, before they sit a test. This seem like a gooing thing to me. A scheme that requires drivers to gain experience before getting highpowered cars is also being considered.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_headline...-name_page.html

piaffe

Visit site
When I was learning to drive in NI; the top speed we could go for 40 (0r 45) mph. Then, on passing your test it was the same speed for a year. They had to have P plates as well. I think they should bring that over here.

emma69

Visit site
Were you restricted to roads of that limit, or could you just go 40 in say, a 60 zone? If it is the latter, I think driving below the speed limit when everyone else is driving at the limit, is just as dangerous as speeding

samsaccount

Visit site
I think they should bring that over here aswell!!

120 hours, if that is 120 hours lessons not inc regular driving that is going to gost a fortune!
20 pound per hour lesson x 120 = 2,400 pounds!!
(sorry my keyboard is broke so dont have the pound sign haha)

piaffe

Visit site
no, if it was a 60, you still had to go at 40 or whatever it was. I think though, if i remember rightly, they had a very low accident rate in comparision to the mainland.
I cant remember exactly because I had a mainland license so, although i had to learn at the correct speed, when i passed my test i had no restrctions on me (although, as i was a very very nervous, i probably went slower than the restriction
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
)

jo1

hotmail.co.uk
I must admit - im learning to drive at the moment and I am petrified!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
blush.gif
blush.gif

All I can think about is if I have a bump, or I cause an accident. Its got so bad I havent had lessons for about 6 months now so I think if they make it harder i wont be able to drive at all.

The thing is - I can actually drive, do manuevers (sp) etc but had a bad instructor so have now lost all confidence

rema

Visit site
120 hours blimey.I have had 6 hours lessons and will be putting in for my test within a week or two.I have been on motorcycles for 16 years now and learnt to drive when i was 17 but had to stop because i was on a YTS scheme and only earnt £35 a week and the driving lessins took half of that per week.

samsaccount

Visit site
jo1, i havent had lessons for so long either because i hate them so much but love driving, my instructor was good but i am trying to contact someone else to see if i can get back into the swing of thing, dont know why i hate lessons. go out driving with my mum all the time and really enjoy it.

i really hope you get your confidence back
smile.gif

i am sure i saw on tv ages ago about a device that detected what the speed limit was and didn't allow you to exceed it, maybe that could be a good idea for youngster drivers, and people who have had problems with speeding before (hope i didnt dream about this thing or i would sound an idiot)
grin.gif

emma69

Visit site
Wow, I don't think I agree with that one - when I first passed the majority of roads I drove on were 60, single lane but fast roads in the country - if I had been doing 40 I would probably have caused lots of accidents with people overtaking me on blind bends because they were impatient, not to mention being rear ended by cars coming round bends doing the 60-70 they do.

lizzie_liz

Visit site
120 hours...that is loads and people would never be able to afford that.
I had about 50 hours of driving and only really with my instructor, it cost me about £1000 to drive. i was lucky and had a trust fund with about £2k in it so used that to pay for my lessons.
I passed my test last august with 3 minors. I was really scared as i kept messing up in my lessons and getting criticised all the time but she was just being picky.
Think the problem we have over here is that we can learn to drive around the same age as we can drink alcohol, whereas in the states you can drive from around 15 and can't drink until your 21.
therefore i think we need to look at the age limits for driving and drinking and making them a bigger gap.

I know i drive faster than in my lessons and am more confident at junctions but do feel safe. i drive a 1.1 citroen ax.
People who are hesitant are just as likely to cause accidents as those who are going fast.

Also when you learn to drive you are not taught about motorways which i think you should be

Marbs

community.webshots.com
There's no way I will be able to afford to learn to drive if the 120 hours thing was to become more serious!

Unfortunately I don't think that however hard the test is will have an overwhelmingly positive effect on how many accidents caused by the drivers there are. Someone could be the best driver in the world, but it won't affect how they behave when they're allowed behind the wheel on their own.

samsaccount

Visit site
I totally agree with you Marbs, and I also will not be able to dirve if they make this 120 hour thing serious I don't have that sort of money not to mention I will also have to pay for public transport whilst i am learning to drive!!!

At the end of the day i agree with the saying that you only learn to drive after you pass your test, and no increase in difficulty is going to change that, maybe they will rething it if and when they increase the difficulty and then realise it isn't making a damn bit of difference

tw1nn1ejo

Visit site
I hope it doesn't because when I'm old enough to be able to take the test I hope to pass it the first time round if lucky lol. I thought they were also changing the age of the driving tests??