Driving tests to become harder...!

not_with_it

Visit site
The only way to really assess drivers is to spend time with them when they are driving.

IMO driving instructors should be the ones who allow people to have their liscences. They are the ones who know how we really drive. An examiner spends an hour at the most with drivers so how are they supposed to know how they really drive and if they are safe.

meandmyself

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
120 hours? Gosh, I never got anywhere near that many, maybe 20-30 hours training?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup- I've changed instructoers a few times. I've actually been taking lessons since college, because I was very nervious when I started driving. Just about to book my test again!

sunflower

Visit site
I would hope that if it becomes compulsory to have 120 hours of lessons etc before passing a test they would reduce the price or with my current driving instructor it would cost ~£2700 and that's not to mention the cost of the theory and practical tests.

emma69

Visit site
Too much potential for corruption - the driving examiners get paid their salary regardless of passes and fails - an instructor would have the incentive to draw it out for longer to get more money

Patchwork

Visit site
I think the Australian system is a good one, whereby you drive on green P plates for a year after passing - zero alcohol limit and you lose your licence if you commit any offences. It also lets other drivers know that even though you have passed your test you are inexperienced.

As for the 120 hours thing, it would depend on whether that had to be with an official instructor or whether driving with parents, etc., would count. If the former I think it would be ridiculously expensive - 120 hours at 20 quid per hour (which is about average around here) works out at 2400 pounds to pass your test, not counting the cost of the actual practical and theory tests! Pass Plus (or some form of motorway driving test) should also be compulsory - currently people are being let loose on motorways on their own without ever having driven on one before as you can't with only a provisional licence.

smile.gif

conniegirl

Visit site
i personaly think that they should stop the whole make pogress malarkie. I failed my test because i didnt do enough speed on a country lane. i didnt like the lane, i know it well and alot of people have turned over on the corners, i came across a bike and decided to stay behind him until i had a straight peice of road. I failed, because apparently i didnt make enough progress. hello that to me is encouraging speeding. I passed my test and then 6 months ago had a very very nasty head on collision on the same road and corner. I was doing 25mph, the other guy was doing 50ish and he lost it on the corner.

emma69

Visit site
Although I obviously didn't drive on a motorway until after I passed, I did do plenty of dual carriageway driving, a 70 limit, on/off ramps etc, no real difference to a motorway other than the third lane, but all the principles were the same, getting up to speed, being aware of traffic, side slip from lorries, safe distances, teh dangers of undertaking etc. I actually went on the motorway about 30 mins after passing my test, just one junction, but it stopped it becomming a big thing that I would get worked up about, and it was exactly as I had been taught on the dual carriageways.

I have to say tho, there is a highway near me that has, at it's widest point 8-10 lanes per side - and I have not had the guts to negotiate that one yet! (whilst I know I can drive it, it's everyone in the fast lane that realised they need to exit 8 lanes over in about 200 yards - eeeeeeeeek!)

happyhack

Visit site
I dont think they should make the tests harder. I think that before even attemopting a test all learner drivers should have to have a minimum of say 52 hours of lessons with a qualified instructor. The crash courses dont teach enough about how to be road smart-only how to control a car.

CrazyMare

Visit site
Hmm an interesting one.

I felt the driving test was stupidly easy when I took it, only in 2004, yet I know people who have taken 5 attempts to pass. And I won't go in the car with said person, beaucse I don't feel his is a safe or competent driver!

I also feel that something, I'm not sure what if anything could be done, about the attitudes of some drivers.

Also limiting the engine capacity may not work, I drive a 1.3l Ford Ka, whereas all the boy racer types around here have 1l, 1.1l, 1.2l Vauxhall Corsa's. So if engine size was being restricted, it would be me suffering, not them.

And my most serious accident.......rolling into a car in rolling traffic, wasnt even 5mph......

Moomin_and_Holly

Visit site
Well, I took and failed my driving test today
frown.gif
For the second time. I live in Brighton and the pass rate for this area is 30% so it's hard enough already. Had a good cry when I failed
blush.gif
but now just going to give it a go again. Statistics show that the first time past rates for men are much much higher than for woman.

Needing a cuddle right now!

Hx

CrazyMare

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think they should make the tests harder. I think that before even attemopting a test all learner drivers should have to have a minimum of say 52 hours of lessons with a qualified instructor. The crash courses dont teach enough about how to be road smart-only how to control a car.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that was the case I would have been bankrupted pretty quickly! I had 19 hours of lessons, was examined by the areas highest examiner and was told that I was one of the best he had seen recently, so if I had had to have 52 hours, it would have been ridiculous!