Drop noseband fitting advice

Coblette

Visit site
Hey, looking for some advice on fitting a drop noseband with a full cheek please. My instructor suggested trying a drop or a flash for a while as my mare is opening her mouth occasionally to see if it helps. But it just doesn’t look right! Help needed please :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
this is how I fit mine. It's well clear of the nostrils and the shape of the rings on the side mean the straps sit well.
Some fit better than others.

216699237_4501928176485324_5269958457852631832_n.jpg

milliepops

Visit site
with a full cheek it works even better because you don't have the bottom strap going over the bit ring.

Coblette

Visit site
Managed to get the pics uploaded although they are blurry!

Attachments

• 92FCE04D-537E-4C9D-84F6-A858EE76A9D8.png
    92FCE04D-537E-4C9D-84F6-A858EE76A9D8.png
    339.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 64DAA95D-E303-41F7-BEE2-7C8EED7C10AC.png
    64DAA95D-E303-41F7-BEE2-7C8EED7C10AC.png
    351.8 KB · Views: 47

milliepops

Visit site
Mine is made by Sabre, it does sit nicely on the head because the flat side of the rings stops the front from drooping and the curved side lets the chin strap angle down.

is yours fitted a bit higher in the first pic than the second? i would say that's acceptable for now, the rule of thumb used to be minimum of 4 fingers width from the top of the nostril to the noseband but it must always be clear of the soft parts of the nose. I think ideally the nosepiece could be a bit longer than yours is because that would keep the hanger straps further back from the eyes. that can be a bit hit and miss and need some shopping around.

Coblette

Visit site
Mine is made by Sabre, it does sit nicely on the head because the flat side of the rings stops the front from drooping and the curved side lets the chin strap angle down.

is yours fitted a bit higher in the first pic than the second? i would say that's acceptable for now, the rule of thumb used to be minimum of 4 fingers width from the top of the nostril to the noseband but it must always be clear of the soft parts of the nose. I think ideally the nosepiece could be a bit longer than yours is because that would keep the hanger straps further back from the eyes. that can be a bit hit and miss and need some shopping around.
Yes a little higher in the first, as trying to work out why it doesn’t look right but what you said makes sense, I think I need the bigger nose piece, but that’s a cob size and I’d already have to make more holes in the cheek pieces! I think it will be difficult to get a good fit. Maybe a flash would be an easier solution to see if it helps

milliepops

Visit site
I think some brands do make them in poorly fitting proportions. The hanger strap is usually too long and the nose piece too short. Yeah a flash is often easier to fit. I prefer a drop but it would give you a good idea.

milliepops

Visit site
I wouldn't use keepers with a fixed cheek bit because it changes the angle the mouthpiece sits in the mouth ?

I used a drop with a bit like that without a problem.

Coblette

Visit site
I think some brands do make them in poorly fitting proportions. The hanger strap is usually too long and the nose piece too short. Yeah a flash is often easier to fit. I prefer a drop but it would give you a good idea.
Yes think I'll try a flash, I only want a temporary fix (hopefully) but would have preferred to use the drop if it fit!

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Could you try a grackle? Better than a flash I think from a pressure p.o.v.

I could not get a drop to sit well on mine as he has a short mouth so I either had the noseband too low or the bit had to be too high. Your horse looks like he has quite a short mouth so may also be tricky to get a drop to fit well.