Dropped onto my head today...

Megibo

Visit site
Op, I hope your head's feeling better today, you must have had concussion, and it might have been better to let the fog in your head clear before writing this thread, as would have preventing this misunderstanding with some of these replies ;) Once written and seen, it's hard to retract what was previously said, even if you've got up this morning and realized "Why did I put it like that? What was I thinking?".
When an accident like what happened to you happens, it's just so quick, people often react before the brain tells you "Woah there!" Come on guys, surely you've had moments where your body reacted before the brain kicks in? We're all guilty of it.
Edited to add, Megibo, this is genuine concern for you, not me taking the michael XX

Oh yes! I definitely re-read this morning and regretted not waiting as I'd have worded it far better and then perhaps could have had help and ideas about her behaviour, rather than been hounded and called all the things under the sun ;)
Don't worry I knew you weren't. :)

Shadow the Reindeer

Visit site
I always try to see the wider picture Megibo, it's far better than a misunderstanding :) XX
Glad your feeling better, and hope you find out what caused her behaviour yesterday :)

mandwhy

Visit site
I agree you probably worded it so that people jumped to conclusions of you being a tyrant!

I am sure you are not, by all means lunge before you get on just to see how she is rather than tire her out, and maybe you're right she doesn't like the equi ami device... What is it? Like a pessoa? And it was super windy here yesterday maybe it was that plus the clip... I wouldn't think it absolutely has to be pain although glad you are having someone check.

Racehorses are very different to most horses, they are brought up with very firm (and I dare say rough in some cases) handling, so maybe this person is not the right instructor for your horse, they are the way they are because of their management in my opinion...

Mark Gilbert

Visit site
Thanks happyhack.

Mark-She is a welsh D.
I have since heard that lots of people's horses were being very strange and out of character yesterday. Hmm. Perhaps we are terrible owners.

I will add that once Nesta was working well my instructor gave her lots of praise and worked her fairly. I had a sweaty horse yes, but she was calm. And there is a difference between calm and tired, yes, I know.

Well if you had not told me I would have guessed, I break/ride/school and show section D's. Right point one she will never forget what happened, thats sec D for you, they have incredible brains! you just have to make her feel safe.

Point two, if you did not pull her legs forward to stretch her skin from beneath her girth the chances are it pinched her. Believe me they will make a real fuss!, so always pull her fore legs before mounting. Also for the next few times have a friend hold her whilst you get on. Above all enjoy her its an ace breed!!! good luck, but be firm and confident with her and she WILL respond.

Megibo

Visit site
I agree you probably worded it so that people jumped to conclusions of you being a tyrant!

I am sure you are not, by all means lunge before you get on just to see how she is rather than tire her out, and maybe you're right she doesn't like the equi ami device... What is it? Like a pessoa? And it was super windy here yesterday maybe it was that plus the clip... I wouldn't think it absolutely has to be pain although glad you are having someone check.

Racehorses are very different to most horses, they are brought up with very firm (and I dare say rough in some cases) handling, so maybe this person is not the right instructor for your horse, they are the way they are because of their management in my opinion...

Yes, my racehorse comment was a generalization. Bad me for stereotyping! There are 2 ex racers i work with who are fine.
My instructor is genuinely lovely and has really helped me come on and get on better with Nesta. She was as shocked as I was as Nesta's behaviour but agrees that she has probably done it before as she seemed to know exactly how to do the 'manoeuvre'!

And the EquiAmi-she actually goes really well in it. Its like a pessoa but doesn't sock them in the mouth each time they move their hocks.
She had nothing on except tack yesterday when I mounted!

Megibo

Visit site
Well I lunged her for about five minutes today gently, she wasn't tired at all or on her knees... Popped on her and she was back to normal and good as gold. Not even a hint of yesterdays behavior!

Marydoll

Visit site
In that case why was she ridden until she was dripping with sweat - and lunged until she is on her knees tomorrow? :(

Sounds scary for you but you should find out what caused this before you punish your poor horse as there might be something wrong with her.

Agree, if this is out of character for the horse, id be more interested in what caused the reaction.

Megibo

Visit site
Ah that's good then, I think it is highly likely she was just having an off day being a welsh D, and a mare ;-)

that's often what I say about the ones at college.
"Its full of attitude!"
"what do you expect, its Welsh D, AND a mare!" :p

My other welshie had a day like that last year when I just could not ride her. Put her away, rode her again the next day and she was good as gold. They are not machines afterall!

Hunter93

Visit site
Nice to see this post having a nice posts now :)

My boy has on and off days, he doesn't always like school work and has a tendency to nap! I've always been taught to leave school on a good note so as soon as he has walked nicely or done a circle I tell him good boy and jump off.
This way I'm not beating him to do what I want, I'm just ending on a good note and we're not stressed. I know everything fits him fine and and that he can be a typical 4yro.

Everyone works differently with horses some horses need whipping more than others as they don't listen to legs and some are very easy, being on a site like this it's very easy to judge others actions. As long as your around others like an instructor and your horse isn't injured then your fine.

Sorry if people don't agree with this, but it's only my opinion :)

Christsam

Visit site
Ive just read through all the posts and im shocked that some people dive right in saying how disgusting this is rather than supporting the OP. Some posters could have given their opinion without being so nasty about it. Horses do have off days, especially mares. Had you just brought her in before riding? Could be something in the field spooked her or, as you say, wind up her tail or anything like that.

PS hope youre head is better :)

ClassicG&T

Visit site
Guys, the OP was obviously in a bit of shock yesterday when she first posted. We've all been there and posted out of frustration, anger and disappointment. She's posted the above and no one seems to have read it properly.

Ok a couple of things were said/done that probably shouldn't have been-but can everybody HONESTLY say that they haven't had a moment of misjudgement with their own horse?

To me it just sounds like she was taking the pee a bit, and feeling a bit fresh and OP wasn't quite ready for it.

Been a long time since I posted in here but having met the OP in RL and having been a member on here for such a long time, I felt I had to say something.

Hope you're feeling better today and that Nesta behaves herself on the lunge

^^this

Megibo

Visit site
Nice to see this post having a nice posts now :)

My boy has on and off days, he doesn't always like school work and has a tendency to nap! I've always been taught to leave school on a good note so as soon as he has walked nicely or done a circle I tell him good boy and jump off.
This way I'm not beating him to do what I want, I'm just ending on a good note and we're not stressed. I know everything fits him fine and and that he can be a typical 4yro.

Everyone works differently with horses some horses need whipping more than others as they don't listen to legs and some are very easy, being on a site like this it's very easy to judge others actions. As long as your around others like an instructor and your horse isn't injured then your fine.

Sorry if people don't agree with this, but it's only my opinion :)

You have a point though. :)

Ive just read through all the posts and im shocked that some people dive right in saying how disgusting this is rather than supporting the OP. Some posters could have given their opinion without being so nasty about it. Horses do have off days, especially mares. Had you just brought her in before riding? Could be something in the field spooked her or, as you say, wind up her tail or anything like that.

PS hope youre head is better :)

Yes, she lives out 24/7 but brought her in for a quick groom and tidy up before instructor arrived and obviously to tack her up!

Had a lesson on her today-not very intensive mind given the battering!- and instructor said its the best she's ever seen her work. She really was going beautifully, stretching down and using herself. It was a fantastic feeling, and she is back to her usual self.
They all have off days and are not robots afterall. Sometimes its not ill-fitting equipment etc, its a case of them coming out with an attitude!

X

xspiralx

I agree with millitiger.

Without seeing what happened it is impossible to determine one way or the other whether the mare reacted from pain, or whether she was feeling fresh and reacted in a naughty manner.

I certainly would not be quick to lambast the instructor for giving the horse a wallop and working it hard - she was there, she witnessed the behaviour and is much better placed to make a call on whether that behaviour was triggered from naughtiness or fear.

I am not a harsh rider, and will always initially give a horse the benefit of the doubt, but sometimes a horse will behave in a naughty manner for no good reason, and when that is the case, I think a firm hand is absolutely the right approach.

Megibo

Visit site
Physio is coming out on the 13th to give her a check.. I genuinely now think that it was pure, one off naughtiness/bad day for her as she hasn't acted like that since on the ground or under saddle and as I think I said, in yesterdays lesson she went the best my instructor has ever seen her go...

Surely a horse in pain cannot relax, soften and engage properly? And Nesta was..

In regards to the saddle it fits her well, hence why I chose it when the saddler came out :rolleyes:

ridefast

Visit site
The problem with synthetics is the synthetic tree, there is no give in it which means it's the horses back which ends up giving in the end