Dummy filly update

Enfys

Visit site
Or 'Sleeper' as my Vet (who is my God) terms her as she seems to fall into that category of Dummy.

340 days would have been today, so she was 3 days early which is neither here nor there (except Robin has ALWAYS gone to 340 or a few days over - but then she has only had huge colts in the past) No dystocia, delivery was the usual 20 minutes or thereabouts. Bag was perfect. Although Robin did colic quite violently the night before and was throwing herself around badly and foaled in the morning without running milk - again not her usual routine.

She has been tube fed for 48 hours so appearance wise is looking OK, as her first igg was 0 she is also on ant-biotics and symptoms (including perhaps the reluctance to suckle) indicated gastric ulcers so she is on meds for that too. Still scouring but that has changed from red/brown to yellow - for once I am happy about the squittiness.

This was a very encouraging sight this morning so although I am not making plans, I am cautiously optimistic that we'll make it to this evening's Vet update on her.

July2013007_zpse54b810d.jpg

July2013006_zps466031bb.jpg

Bennions Field

Visit site
fabulous news enfys, soooo pleased she's looking on the mend, and thanks to your hard work and dedication. she's a georgous looking foal and i'm sure she's now turned a corner, cant wait to see her out and about with her lovely mom too.

looking forward to more positive updates :)

Feival

Visit site
Yay go little filly. Rooting for you in my little corner of the UK!! she's simply gorgeous, even with her bank robber hood on!!

Worried1

Visit site
Have missed all of this so just caught up, She is beautiful and I really hope she is over the worst and coming out the other side. Thinking of you all... come on Freya, suck the milk bar dry little one x

Enfys

Visit site
Yay go little filly. Rooting for you in my little corner of the UK!! she's simply gorgeous, even with her bank robber hood on!!

Thankyou.

Funnily enough her Mom is called Outlaws Robin Gold ;) so your coincidental analogy is a good one. :D

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
Having had our own dummy foal this year due to a uterine torsion, I know how exciting every little improvement brings, so pleased she is continuing to move forward. Fingers crossed for her xx

Enfys

Visit site
Cruiseline, how is your filly? I hope she has made a full recovery.

Well whatever the outcome with Freya, the last few days have been a learning experience, I didn't know that there were varieties of Dummy for a start, and I have inadvertently taught my Vet a new trick which makes tube feeding easier, he said "Now why haven't I ever thought of that?" I may never have to implement any of it again but it has been interesting.

I have also discovered that I can actually function on very little sleep and that my husband is more of a softie than he has ever let on. He's been doing feeds too and feeding at 5.30 before he goes to work, probably smelling of milk and poop ;) Apparently, if Freya makes it we are keeping her, jeez, a match pair of outhouse sized, white faced mares to slather sunblock on, I look forwards to that ;)

This morning I was great by an extremely fed up mare and a little pair of pricked ears. The first time Freya has actually appeared animated and well, foal-like. She was galloping around the stall, and I am not looking forwards to doing her injections this morning.

She is nursing properly now so that's rather encouraging, we still have to sort out the scouring though, we are deciding today whether she is nursing enough to merit taking the tube out, rather than take it out and me have to call the Vet back (that would be visit #10 or so) to replace it - again.

Last edited:

Lgd

Visit site
Glad things are looking up. try and get some prokolin foal paste. Magic for scouring.

Enfys

Visit site
Lgd, Prokolin? Thank you for that.

I will have to look it up, it may not be available here (Canada) also have to check with the Vet as she is on other meds at the moment and I wouldn't want to compromise those, I shouldn't think it would. I can't think of the name of the stuff I have used before. Mind, I can't even think what day it is right now, I haven't been to bed for three days.

The tube came out this afternoon, and apart from checks to make absolutely sure she is drinking it is very much up to her now.

These were taken this morning. Great, looks like I will have a match pair of eyes and noses to slather in sunblock ;) OH has fallen in love with her and wants to keep her - he doesn't even ride (yet) but he has been doing early morning feeds before he leaves for work at 6am, bless.

July2013131_zps72b0e127.jpg

July2013014_zpsc7f3ad43.jpg

July2013105_zps614698b0.jpg

gadetra

Visit site
Love the pics.
Gosh she's a strong mare! It is strange seeing how muscled they are compared to what I am used to - she looks like she could walk through a wall! She's a colored QH?
Freya looks so strong too, and like a little bandit. Amazing how she's come around, and a testament to your nursing and care.
Maybe buy shares in sudocream for the future?!