Dunne v Frost

Clodagh

Visit site
My god, some of the comments on FB suggesting that BF should be "put down" and calling her all sorts of names. There are some delightful people in racing :rolleyes: Another own goal for the sport I'd say, :rolleyes: nobody will come forward again if they are being bullied and put themselves through this sort of sh1t.
Racing has exposed itself as having an awful lot of problems. Mainly it still thinks it’s 1950 I think.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
My god, some of the comments on FB suggesting that BF should be "put down" and calling her all sorts of names. There are some delightful people in racing :rolleyes: Another own goal for the sport I'd say, :rolleyes: nobody will come forward again if they are being bullied and put themselves through this sort of sh1t.
Which will be an outcome that some will be more than happy with!

Ratface

Visit site
Nasty little image, isn't he.
I'm in two minds about racing: it's obvious how much stable staff, work riders and other connections love their horses. On the other hand, the stressors of long journeys, strange stables, noise and stress of the actual race must be mentally and physically exhausting.

Andie02

Visit site
There is a couple of interesting posts on At the Races fb on the subject made by someone who has known Bryony's family for a very long time and knows first hand what has happened. Apparently violent conduct was shushed up/set aside because they didn't want the police involved.

TPO

Visit site
it's obvious how much stable staff, work riders and other connections love their horses

I'm on the fence about that. I'm sure that there are many who do but there seems to be a lot who don't have that connection or care.

In Elfs latest Life of work Rider post she writes about a Lad in temper who took it out on the horse "socked his horse in the gob with one rein ", then "the lad jabbed his horse in the mouth again" and caused an incident with another horse (that elf was riding). So not only did that Lad mistreat the horse he felt comfortable doing it in front of others. That makes me feel really uneasy and definitely questioning that all staff care about the horses on their yards. To some it seems its just a job and thr horses are purely a commodity.

It's bad enough being on a livery where people are rough and/or cruel with horses never mind having to work in that kind of environment (or be a horse!).

I do wonder if racing will ever fold completely? There is so much money in it but people are slowly waking up to the ethics of where some of that money comes from, never mind how some animals are kept and trained as well as the ethics of breaking and racing them so young.

Old school

Visit site
The fact the suspension was reduced infers that the folks at the top are completely out of touch. It will be the death of the sport as they strangle it from moving with the times.

Racing is rotten to the core. A few teary eyed staff and some emotional music as a winner is lead in is intended to fob off Joe Public about the desperate cruelty of the sport by confusing their emotions. I know, for years I was one of them that fell for it.

Clodagh

Visit site
There is a couple of interesting posts on At the Races fb on the subject made by someone who has known Bryony's family for a very long time and knows first hand what has happened. Apparently violent conduct was shushed up/set aside because they didn't want the police involved.
I heard that went both ways.
Racing wonders why it has trouble recruiting and keeping staff and why there are so many MH issues with jockeys yet seems unable to see that it might actually be the problem.
I love racing but am disgusted by its old boys run the show attitude.

Clodagh

Visit site

In Elfs latest Life of work Rider post she writes about a Lad in temper who took it out on the horse "socked his horse in the gob with one rein ", then "the lad jabbed his horse in the mouth again" and caused an incident with another horse (that elf was riding). So not only did that Lad mistreat the horse he felt comfortable doing it in front of others. That makes me feel really uneasy and definitely questioning that all staff care about the horses on their yards. To some it seems its just a job and thr horses are purely a commodity.

I like ELF and do not want this to become another ELF bashing thread (not saying you were) but that incident sad badly with me too. He obviously knew there would be no ramifications for taking his temper out on the horse. Very bad attitude indeed.

paddi22

Visit site
It's clear from the only input we've had from someone in racing up thread that her "girliness" was something that really irritated racing people.

I remember being horrified by that, and it was a good indication of the amount of peer pressure and conforming that must be rife in the industry. And at the time there was a general talk of 'well we haven't heard the other side..' as the only defense of it. it's awful that when we did 'hear the other side' it was actually worse than expected.

it must be awful to be in an industry where you are expected to downplay feminine aspects of your personality purely to fit in.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
In my other sport, we are undertaking a review of club culture, with an emphasis on the treatment of women (athletes and coaches). Talking to other coaches from grassroots to high performance, alongside the problem of misogynistic men, the worst treatment many have experienced has come from other women. Certainly that tallies with my own experience, and it's so sad when it happens.

TPO

Visit site
I like ELF and do not want this to become another ELF bashing thread (not saying you were) but that incident sad badly with me too. He obviously knew there would be no ramifications for taking his temper out on the horse. Very bad attitude indeed.

Definitely wasn't bashing Elf just using her "inside info" and what she shared as evidence of what appears to prevelant in the industry as it was so normalised. Quoted so as not to take out of context.

ihatework

Visit site
Nasty little image, isn't he.
I'm in two minds about racing: it's obvious how much stable staff, work riders and other connections love their horses. On the other hand, the stressors of long journeys, strange stables, noise and stress of the actual race must be mentally and physically exhausting.

See I’m not sure they all do!
They say they do, but when push comes to shove there are a lot of actions that speak otherwise. Not everyone of course, but it’s not a minority.

I’m not sure what the cause of it is?
Probably a mix of the culture/normalisation of mild abusive ways combined with a tough job physically and mentally that means at times individuals behave in ways they might not really want to.

It needs looking at holistically and not in a blame-culture way, because that only gets backs up.

Plus this isn’t isolated to racing, it’s seen in all equine spheres. Unfortunately for racing due to the financial side of things it’s probably more in the spotlight

minesadouble

Visit site
I'm on the fence about that. I'm sure that there are many who do but there seems to be a lot who don't have that connection or care.

It's bad enough being on a livery where people are rough and/or cruel with horses never mind having to work in that kind of environment (or be a horse!).

I do wonder if racing will ever fold completely? There is so much money in it but people are slowly waking up to the ethics of where some of that money comes from, never mind how some animals are kept and trained as well as the ethics of breaking and racing them so young.

Socking horses in the mouth is certainly not confined to racing. I saw a showjumper, high profile, a real 'people's favourite' give his horse two real jawbreakers after it rolled a pole in the warm up at the Great Yorkshire.
He was surrounded by fellow SJers and the warm up was 3 deep with spectators so he clearly had no qualms about doing this in public.

I've bought 3 horses out of racing and all 3 were well balanced, well mannered individuals who loved humans and clearly been treated with love and care while they were in training so it often annoys me when I hear people saying they all have miserable lives and no one gives a hoot about them.

TPO

Visit site
Socking horses in the mouth is certainly not confined to racing

I know, and I did also mention the casual cruelty and neglect to horses that I've witnessed on livery yards, but this thread was specifically about racing. I was responding to a comment about people who work/are involved in racing actually caring about the horses.