Early jabs?

Shavings

Visit site
How early is to early?

he is due flu and tet the first week of June but it’s busy race week here
so it will have to come forward regardless

I have the vet visiting between 20-28 of April
Would that be to early to have them done?

I will be asking the vet when I phone but I wanted to know what you all thought

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think it depends on which jab it is, I.e. one of the first set or an annual booster etc.
If it's the annual one then I would expect that to be ok. Lots of people are having the flu one done 6 monthly at the moment after all.

Scot123

Visit site
I just had a 'new' pony due the last of their intial 3 sets of vaccinations a few weeks ago, but my other pony wasn't due his yearly vaccinations until May. I really wanted to get them both done at the same time to help callout costs in future years! The vet said it wasn't a problem at all to bring the yearly vaccinations forward about 4 months. Both done at same time and no problems x

Hack4fun

Visit site
Assuming the first three done according to schedule, then no problem doing them early. The 6/12 months starts from the date that they are vaccinated - there is no 'credit' for unused time.

J&S

Visit site
I shall be bringing one of mine forward a month or so this year so that they will be done on the same date. Already discussed with Vet last year so know it is ok.

Charmer91

Visit site
I've been having flu and tet done every 6 months so I don't think it's a problem. We're on a busy yard with horses competing all over the country so its by request of our yard owner.

Annagain

Visit site
As it's an annual one, that would be fine. If it were one of the initial course of three they have to be in the window (although the windows are quite big, especially for the third jab) doing them early will result in a fail at a vacc check in competition just as doing them late would. I do vacc checking at BRC competitions quite a lot and had to turn away one person for a 3rd jab that was 3 days early (considering the window for the 2nd jab is 21-92 days after the first and the window for the 3rd is 150-215 days after the 2nd it seems a bit unbelievable that 147 days after is a danger!) 4 years previously. I felt terrible but the official steward was very strict and had that person got through they'd have had the same problem at the championships.