Early September Weekend Plans :)

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Ahhhhh I am on cloud 9. It was my first time hacking there and back on my own (with mum walking, just no other horses) and she was perfect, just plodded along but did take offence at some sheep but I’m not sure we’ve ever really seen them before so that’s fine!

I just had a quick trot round the warm up and popped over the jumps a few times, she was more forward than normal but not as forward as home. I was firm but didn’t push her as we are both still green in a competition environment!

then we went in and she was amazing! Popped into canter a few times and I did have to nag her to keep the canter and it was a bit flat but we’re getting there! I can’t believe 3 months ago even a tiny cross pole made me feel sick.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Ahhhhh I am on cloud 9. It was my first time hacking there and back on my own (with mum walking, just no other horses) and she was perfect, just plodded along but did take offence at some sheep but I’m not sure we’ve ever really seen them before so that’s fine!

I just had a quick trot round the warm up and popped over the jumps a few times, she was more forward than normal but not as forward as home. I was firm but didn’t push her as we are both still green in a competition environment!

then we went in and she was amazing! Popped into canter a few times and I did have to nag her to keep the canter and it was a bit flat but we’re getting there! I can’t believe 3 months ago even a tiny cross pole made me feel sick.

Well done sounds like a good day. ?

I'm still at the feeling sick at a tiny cross pole stage, so this gives me hope for the future!

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Well done sounds like a good day. ?

I'm still at the feeling sick at a tiny cross pole stage, so this gives me hope for the future!
Best thing I did was not push it. If she jumped it nicely then I stop and move on. Then every time I jump it’s a good experience and I found my confidence shot up. Also lots and lots of lessons.

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Good day out SJing, which is unusual...i was at the xpoles make me sick point last year too.

Finally jumped a round that didnt feel like a total mess. I did ride forward (mostly) and my lovely boy responded. Skinny he was foot perfect at, the water tray he jumped with his nose between his knees, but there was no question he was going to jump it. 4th place in the end, but more pleased about actually having had a nice time.IMG-20200905-WA0051.jpg

IMG-20200905-WA0063.jpg

Then had a fab time flying about (with some confidence this time) a slightly lower course with my sister in the pairs for a 2nd place frilly too!

Northern

Visit site
Working this weekend, so not much on. Still, ponied out the young WB baby for our furthest ride out to date. Super proud of her, we had a few moments but she settled just as quickly as she reacted. I much prefer to know how she reacts in certain situations, so I know how to deal with her appropriately and diffuse the situation. My pony on the other hand... shied at people and milk crates :rolleyes: She's supposed to be inspiring confidence in the young one, not the other way around!

Last weekend I went out for a ride with some good friends at our arboretum, spring is definitely in the air and it was a stunning day, see below!

Hope all your weekends are going well up there :D

Arbor.JPG

Reacher

Visit site
Took Mr H arena eventing yesterday- our first outing since lockdown.
Thought consequently he might be a bit rude but he was very polite in fact and had a nice clear round. Reviewing our round I should have kept him rounder and less giraffe like but I was busy remembering the course....

A couple of fences where we were on a half a stride I refrained from pushing for a long stride (following orders) which resulted in him chipping one in and a bit of a bunny hop but in general am pleased with our round.

The water fence seemed very deep (when you have little legs!)

Why do the fences look big on the course walk but tiny on the photos??

Was meant to have flatwork lesson today but it’s been cancelled so debating between a hack or housework....

Nice to see people out and about.F1CCB037-C33F-41DF-AB21-37B778E60DFC.jpegAF9C726C-AE5E-49D0-9F61-42C5D2AA274A.jpeg99B3404C-249B-46E2-BB34-09FC7CB83326.jpeg

Roxylola

Visit site
A couple of fences where we were on a half a stride I refrained from pushing for a long stride (following orders) which resulted in him chipping one in and a bit of a bunny hop but in general am pleased with our round.

Why do the fences look big on the course walk but tiny on the photos??

We had a fence last weekend at eland because I offered for a long one despite being miles away, the fact he generally is better a bit closer and the canter being a bit under powered ?‍♀️
I honestly believe the changing fence height is some sort of photo trickery, it happens to us too

Reacher

Visit site
Well done @shortstuff99 !

I would like to go up a class from the one we did yesterday (70-80) as we have done it many times but the next class up is 90-100 which seems like a huge step up.
Here is one of the Xc fences from yesterday - the 90-100 is on the left.
In the flesh it looks huge (though typically less impressive on the photo!)
D23871E2-3BE7-4B56-8D4A-641D23DB1B08.jpegC770BE2B-8CF8-41C5-B3C2-FCDA1679AEB3.jpeg

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Well done @shortstuff99 !

I would like to go up a class from the one we did yesterday (70-80) as we have done it many times but the next class up is 90-100 which seems like a huge step up.
Here is one of the Xc fences from yesterday - the 90-100 is on the left.
In the flesh it looks huge (though typically less impressive on the photo!)
View attachment 54578View attachment 54577
Thank you! And well done to you too. You are right though that does look like a big jump to the next class!

Roxylola

Visit site
Reacher, could you ask if you could go HC and do a pick and mix with some of each?
Honestly 10cm might as well be 10 feet at times. It's not just height though, its width and technicality etc. Personally I want to get super confident with 80 courses, maybe do a bit of schooling places like eland where I could pick some of the easier 90s and probably do some SJ and/or arena eventing 90s before I even consider bigger tracks

scats

Visit site
Thoroughly enjoyed my lesson! It’s a yard only 20 minutes away so ideal and there’s an indoor and outdoor. We were in the outdoor today as it was lovely weather. Trainer remembered us from some comps we did there last year and was very complementary about Millie, which was nice. I think sometimes I’m too quick to chuck out there that she’s a distinctively average little horse, which undoubtedly she is, but she is very trainable and learns very quickly.
Anyway, as predicated, the main blocks we have to progressing at the minute are to do with me, which was what I thought. I am strong to the left and weak to the right and I am twisting left and chucking her onto her left shoulder/completely blocking her on the right rein. I need to think about riding her almost in a permanent shoulder fore position on the right rein, with my body really exaggerated to the right, while I retrain myself. The difference in Millie was amazing. Canter work was absolutely super. I told trainer I would like to be doing consistently well at novice and maybe try for ele and she said that we’d have absolutely no problems getting Millie to advanced level work. So I’ve come home with some homework and feeling really pleased and that I’ve found the right person for us. Lessons are pricey, but I’m going to aim for one every 2-3 weeks.
It was nice to have someone to bounce ideas off and chat to about Millie. I’m the only rider on my yard so I feel very much on my own and don’t really have anyone to discuss things with.

Very happy scats today!

blood_magik

Visit site
I had a great day jumping. Blue had a pop round the course I set up at home using the new fillers and Fleur went to a gridwork clinic my friend was running over the road.
So pleased with her today as she went a bit green on me the last time we were out.

Hope everyone had a good weekend ☺️

blood_magik

Visit site
Ah thanks ?

I was trying to get Blue to sit on his backside instead of running on his forehand so I was quite pleased with how it looked considering it felt a bit awkward, especially through the 1-2 combo.

Was so pleased that Fleur actually pulled me to the fences. Think we’ve finally found the right balance of energy vs silliness. ???

Asha

Visit site
Lots of lovely photos and updates from everyone. We just went for a hack around the forest, id forgotten just how lovely it is. Last time we went was with the kids when they where on ponies, we used to take a picnic and the ponies would steal them. happy memories.
Im going to make much more use of this beautiful place going forward. Ended up doing just short of 8miles.

Token photo of Pip looking gorgeous ( sorry about the size ;))2F39417E-16F3-4631-9919-6AC19373BC20.jpeg

Last edited:

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Schooled round Llanymynech on Saturday, started off pretty poor, I think we're just transitioning back to Skylla doing the whole taking off bit on her own rather than me dictating strides as much, so we were fairly sticky the first time round. I really should have also walked the course on foot too as I didn't know where I was going or what the ground was like, whoops! However, took her straight back round, counted her out of the start box and she flew the second time :cool:.

Then the Cheshire Forest fun ride yesterday! Ground was pretty deep and cut up by the time we went round but we had a blast regardless! Still had a couple of stops at fences, but I know it was me not riding strongly enough at them doh! Really need to find my mojo again, I'm annoying myself with riding badly :rolleyes:.

Picture of flying Skylla, she's just the best!

118995991_1403217219864134_7550777260014865195_n.jpg

Confidence wobbles aside, I love the fact I have a horse I can do fun rides on now without fear of death :p, it was so busy but she is just super cool!

DressageCob

Visit site
Schooled round Llanymynech on Saturday, started off pretty poor, I think we're just transitioning back to Skylla doing the whole taking off bit on her own rather than me dictating strides as much, so we were fairly sticky the first time round. I really should have also walked the course on foot too as I didn't know where I was going or what the ground was like, whoops! However, took her straight back round, counted her out of the start box and she flew the second time :cool:.

Then the Cheshire Forest fun ride yesterday! Ground was pretty deep and cut up by the time we went round but we had a blast regardless! Still had a couple of stops at fences, but I know it was me not riding strongly enough at them doh! Really need to find my mojo again, I'm annoying myself with riding badly :rolleyes:.

Picture of flying Skylla, she's just the best!

118995991_1403217219864134_7550777260014865195_n.jpg

Confidence wobbles aside, I love the fact I have a horse I can do fun rides on now without fear of death :p, it was so busy but she is just super cool!

I don't blame you for not riding strongly enough when the ground is less than ideal. It's exactly the problem I had at Llanymynech last year; my horse stopped for the first time in his life because I thought the ground was slippery and couldn't persuade myself to properly go for it.

I do like the Cheshire forest fun rides. I haven't been for a couple of years because I lost my fun ride companion and nobody else fancies going with me ? I've never taken my "newer" horse (only had him 3 years...) and I haven't taken my other one since he lost his eye so I'm not sure how he'd cope with the inevitable overtaking ? I just need to persuade one of the other liveries to join me (or someone else who is confident enough to ride one of my boys when their reactions will be unknown!!).

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I don't blame you for not riding strongly enough when the ground is less than ideal. It's exactly the problem I had at Llanymynech last year; my horse stopped for the first time in his life because I thought the ground was slippery and couldn't persuade myself to properly go for it.

I do like the Cheshire forest fun rides. I haven't been for a couple of years because I lost my fun ride companion and nobody else fancies going with me ? I've never taken my "newer" horse (only had him 3 years...) and I haven't taken my other one since he lost his eye so I'm not sure how he'd cope with the inevitable overtaking ? I just need to persuade one of the other liveries to join me (or someone else who is confident enough to ride one of my boys when their reactions will be unknown!!).

Llany was actually pretty spot on ground wise, despite all the flooding they had, I just should have walked it first so I could ride more positively lol!

Haha yeah I had debated taking Topaz on the fun ride as Skylla has a busy few days, but she is just a lunatic and makes it very not fun ?, both my buddies said they were glad I'd not brought her ?. My friend said this has been the busiest year she's seen too!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Also collective wisdom that is HHO!

Skylla has caught the inside of her knees twice now? Is it the shoes, the studs (studs were only on the outside so I can't imagine how it could be), not sure what to do as it's not somewhere I can 'boot', will she stop catching herself given time?

Roxylola

Visit site
I'd maybe ask your farrier, I'm sure I remember there are shoes that are tapered away at the sides but I dont know what they are used for and if you could stud them. It would definitely trouble me a bit if it doesnt resolve pretty quickly

DressageCob

Visit site
Also collective wisdom that is HHO!

Skylla has caught the inside of her knees twice now? Is it the shoes, the studs (studs were only on the outside so I can't imagine how it could be), not sure what to do as it's not somewhere I can 'boot', will she stop catching herself given time?

I doubt it's the studs if they are only on the outside.

I''m not sure how the shoes would catch her there; even if she is shod with a little overhang, the foot shouldn't be making contact with her knees. Unless when she's cantering she catches herself, if there is a little overhang.

Could it be a rub from her boots? If they are slightly too long or too firm they could cut in. Although when you say inside I'm picturing the back of her knee. If you mean the inside as in the side, then I don't know! mysterious.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Definitely not a boot rub we already run that gauntlet ?. It’s the bony bits on the inside:

19A23A38-2EDD-4EB0-88D8-2F5B66C1644B.jpeg
Will ask the farrier! Only happened over the weekend, first it was only the right knee on Sat but then both on Sun. It’s not enough for a noticeable cut but just a spot of blood?