Early September Weekend Plans :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
No excitements here (other than the continuing novelty of actually being able to train my horses at home, whooop) so nice to read all these reports :)
HP that's a pretty bonkers place for her to be striking herself.

Pic of the wild haired welshie trundling round the outdoor on saturday to increase the photo: post ratio

118907943_3599201570091327_3645893623977111343_o.jpg

humblepie

Visit site
Bit of a doh one from me. Went to actual real live dressage and rode appalling. Pretty disappointed in me - got a bit thrown as judge rang bell very very quickly (think part way up first side of arena when previous horse seemed to have gone round three times - perhaps didn't have much to write about that one!) and I just didn't get set up right before going into the arena and it sort of went downhill from there! That said, lots of positives which I think are what we are supposed to find! Horse beautifully behaved, stood on lorry like a pro (that used to be an issue), walk didn't go tense and the medium canters were awesome if I say it myself (not sure what judge said, didn't pick up sheet, social distancing and all that). So probably a bit of an out of practice at riding dressage times fail but feeling a bit disappointed with that, will I ever ride properly feeling (or at least if not properly somewhere near to how I can ride reasonably okayish). So a lot of self beating up going on. Then what we should have been doing Sunday was cancelled but did go for a lovely hack instead. Probably need to think that at one big championships I did go from last in our first class to winning the next and getting huge sashfest so so rubbish tests do happen.

nikkimariet

Visit site
First session on Fig in 6 weeks. Not his fault just poor lad left without shoes for some time. He actually looked really happy but I didn’t dare put any pressure on him in case he bruised.

CAE1B8BC-7C73-499D-B937-73FA38E3C397.jpeg

I had a lesson on Rooni Saturday. Marve session. Really pleased with his behaviour and progress.

07F8BF65-C348-41A8-B853-36C2522C5AA8.jpeg

So excited for the next one.

Sunday me and Rooni went hacking for a few hours. He was perfect. Totally chill.

EBEE183F-52A3-482A-B460-8D1D2B2CE445.jpeg

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Had a great time flyng round a (shortened, simplified due to the flooding) version of the Llany Novice track on Sat with Nix; sun was shining, ground was good, Nix was delighted to just do XC without dressage & SJ. She was looking for the rest of the course at the end though...(!)

Good to see Skylla in the flesh (briefly) and glad she went round nicely the 2nd time & had a funday Sunday

Great to read everybody's reports

Reilee stayed at home hacking and interval training, she is out at Stafford on Sun all being well

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Had a great time flyng round a (shortened, simplified due to the flooding) version of the Llany Novice track on Sat with Nix; sun was shining, ground was good, Nix was delighted to just do XC without dressage & SJ. She was looking for the rest of the course at the end though...(!)

Good to see Skylla in the flesh (briefly) and glad she went round nicely the 2nd time & had a funday Sunday

Great to read everybody's reports

Reilee stayed at home hacking and interval training, she is out at Stafford on Sun all being well

I'm so sorry I was being a bit dim, it was only afterwards I figured out it was you
1f648.png
, think I was trying to psych myself up and very glad you didn't see me nearly fall off over a practice fence...

I now have two options for Saturday, either Stafford or the unaff at Llany, depending on Tuffy working miracles tomorrow I think I'm taking the unaff option
1f648.png
!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I'd do the unaffiliated personally, take the pressure off a bit
Is it Skylla as in Sky la or to rhyme with spiller?

Sky la :), not sure how 'correct' it is but it's what I call her lol!

Exactly, the idea was to do Mostyn before Stafford but that also got rained off, but really think we need at least one unaff under our belts before dipping our toes back in, though everyone does say Stafford is a lovely kind event.

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
I'm so sorry I was being a bit dim, it was only afterwards I figured out it was you
1f648.png
, think I was trying to psych myself up and very glad you didn't see me nearly fall off over a practice fence...

I now have two options for Saturday, either Stafford or the unaff at Llany, depending on Tuffy working miracles tomorrow I think I'm taking the unaff option
1f648.png
!

You did look a little distracted and preoccupied so thought was best to leave you both to it ;)

I like having things happen practising /training as gives us another chance to learn and improve - took me a while to really figure this out

I did walk /trot round the Novice course on Nix so knew where we were going etc. before warming up as would normally and going out of the Start Box. She was quite close to her normal self around the Start Box (keen & trying v hard to behave well(!))

Take your time, it's been a bad year to be trying to step up /start. I've had to accept that would be unwise (& not giving them the very best chance to succeed which I think I have responsibility to do) to push on back to Int with Nix and to push Reilee up to Novice this season. All being well, we'll just continue to consolidate this year & then move on again next year.

I did Llany's compact eventing a few years ago with Reilee as one of her first XC related competitions, was a v relaxed day and did the (short) XC straight after SJ which was quite good for a green baby. Was an easy, encouraging & confidence building experience. She was very puffed up for a long time afterwards :). You've both recently been there and jumped fences so should feel more confident again going back there. Whatever you think helps that penny to drop so she is more reliably taking you into fences (rather than the other way round) - key to good & fun XC - much more so than SJ

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
You did look a little distracted and preoccupied so thought was best to leave you both to it ;)

I like having things happen practising /training as gives us another chance to learn and improve - took me a while to really figure this out

I did walk /trot round the Novice course on Nix so knew where we were going etc. before warming up as would normally and going out of the Start Box. She was quite close to her normal self around the Start Box (keen & trying v hard to behave well(!))

Take your time, it's been a bad year to be trying to step up /start. I've had to accept that would be unwise (& not giving them the very best chance to succeed which I think I have responsibility to do) to push on back to Int with Nix and to push Reilee up to Novice this season. All being well, we'll just continue to consolidate this year & then move on again next year.

I did Llany's compact eventing a few years ago with Reilee as one of her first XC related competitions, was a v relaxed day and did the (short) XC straight after SJ which was quite good for a green baby. Was an easy, encouraging & confidence building experience. She was very puffed up for a long time afterwards :). You've both recently been there and jumped fences so should feel more confident again going back there. Whatever you think helps that penny to drop so she is more reliably taking you into fences (rather than the other way round) - key to good & fun XC - much more so than SJ

I think because I'd not been to Llany before and didn't know the 'rules' or where everything was, I wasn't sure about just walking round first. Can you tell I over think things
1f648.png
, I also get confused if people know me, I don't know anyone :p, glad you had a smashing round though, Nix is beautiful!

I think that's the bit we're missing now, she wants me to take her to a fence rather than the other way round! It's weird before lock down she was so on it, taking me over stuff even if I was a bit :oops:, not sure what's happened really except I think it's me, as when I ride and put my leg on she will go and jump doh!

I'll be surprised if Tuffy chooses Stafford over Llany, but I'll leave the final decision until we've had our lesson I'm entered in both, its only money right :eek::p.

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Nix is beautiful!

She has always known this, & brilliant & clever etc.etc.etc - poor Reilee has had to admire her for 5 yrs now...

She was on her post XC high when you saw us - it lasts quite a while...

Skylla looked v up for it when we saw you so am sure that it will click (back) into place with some more confidence giving outings

Whenever I hire a XC course, I'll walk /trot round it on the horse first so I know the course - have done this a few times at Kelsall after the BE event (with both Nix & Reilee as babies as my way of assessing if they were BE ready). I think if something seems reasonable then should do it(!) Is interesting that often I ride distances better just from feel than if have walked the strides - example of where thinking can get in the way again...

Good luck and enjoy the lesson and whichever wkend you end up having!

blood_magik

Visit site
I’d managed to book a last-minute lesson with scary trainer but the yard he’s based at is in an area being put into local lockdown, so not sure if that’s happening.

On a happier note, the new boy has a saddle that fits so I can start cracking on with him. ?

Last edited: