Early September weekend plans

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Off to one competition on Saturday and another on Sunday. The same test for both.

Horse has been away from the yard for riding clinics, vet, and whatnot, but this is his first away from home competition. He's green to competition due to Corona (no comps last year) and due to me never having enough ambition to compete at dressage (unless there is jumping after ?). The other ones were at home.

I also find it interesting that there is no diversity in dressage here. Class of 42, all Warmbloods then my one PRE. Another class of 25...all warmbloods.

I know there is one Friesian and one Haflinger competing today. If I scroll through the 100+ horse list, I kid you not, 95% or more Warmbloods. At the very basic/low level you might see a pony or two. This is all fine, but I just wish it would be a bit more diverse breed/type wise. Doesn't have to be I guess. We can be ~exotic~ and special ?

I am not counting on a placement, but it'll be a good experience for him nonetheless, and maybe he will be a good example of his breed ? he's usually a chill traveler (which is odd if you know his generally spooky, nutty, not confident, dramatic, personality). He's the quietest spooky horse I know...which I know makes zero sense.

So off we go to take a stab at it. Good luck to everyone else out competing. The weather will be nice here, so that's a plus!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Had my lesson today. Feeling a bit meh about it tbh. Forgot to do the thing in the car on the way there where I remind myself the main goal is to enjoy, then went and got all frustrated because every time I ride a new horse everything seems to go back to square one. Also I do appreciate a more woah than go type (I think, but am now questioning this!) but boy did I have to work hard to keep us moving. My instructor seemed to think it went well though and another RS client made a positive comment which made me think I'd under-estimated the progress made in the lesson. I am noticing my confidence is better though so that's good - it's easier to notice when it's not there but looking back I can see how far I've come.

Bernster

Visit site
Riding different horses is a good thing to do but it does take time to get the best out of them, so don’t be too hard on yourself. Particularly if they’re RS horses as they might be less responsive anyway.

I’ve had Bertie 3 months nearly (and have ridden for years) and I’m still learning how to ride him in the arena!

Just booked a 3 day camp at Aston le walls in Oct. I swore I wouldn’t do an autumn camp after getting drenched for 3 days at the last one, but I’ve got a local airbnb to make it bearable haha. Inc parking for the lorry which can be tricky. Taking Bertie boy to see how he goes at a stay-away. It sounds like a good timetable, with 2 days of lessons and a mock ODE on the last day. Hopefully good prep if we get to event next year.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Went for a hack last night, after being so good on monday, he was being very spooky and overreacting to everything. I keep wondering about ulcers, so he is going to have a quiet weekend whilst deciding what to do about that.

I'm also going to Bicton tomorrow to spectate. I know the consensus on here is that it's not worth the money, but it's the only chance I'll ever have to get to a 5* in a day and back, so I'm still excited!

Bernster

Visit site
That must be so frustrating, for everyone involved. I seem to be more a buyer than a seller - I keep collecting them! It’s so personal though, horses that seem fab on paper or on a call, can turn out to be just not the right fit when you try them. And as a buyer I so want them to be right when I ride, but at times I ride like a sack of spuds and it’s clearly not right! The market still seems active so am sure youll get there soon x

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
That must be so frustrating, for everyone involved. I seem to be more a buyer than a seller - I keep collecting them! It’s so personal though, horses that seem fab on paper or on a call, can turn out to be just not the right fit when you try them. And as a buyer I so want them to be right when I ride, but at times I ride like a sack of spuds and it’s clearly not right! The market still seems active so am sure youll get there soon x
Yeah definitely. I don’t blame them. I’m the same, sometimes I get on and just know it’s not right! It’s the first time I’ve sold one, so this is all new to me.

Luckily I’ve had a lot interest, so I’ve got lots of options if things don’t work with the people viewing this weekend. Henry didn’t put a foot wrong (other than being a bit lazy ?) though, so not his fault either. Just one of those things.

Michen

Visit site
Eeek taking Bog autumn hunting with a shove from my vet ?? He hasn’t been for two years due to his injury and whilst I’ll never take him drag or proper muddy hunting again he can definitely go and see some hounds at 6.30 am. I’ll need a stiff drink but only have a saddle hipflask so that’s a bit obvious ?

Michen

Visit site
Ouch Asha, hope you recover quickly.

Taking Pebbles out to drill riding practice/tryout/adults generally titting about ?. I think the plan is somewhat loose format, so it should be a laugh if nothing else.

Other than that just hackies

Arty-smarty says have a good weekend all x
View attachment 78865

Such a kind and honest face on that horse!

palo1

Visit site
I too will be needing (but not getting) a stiff drink at stupid a.m tomorrow as Alw and I fly solo with hound exercise! My friend can't make it and so son and I will go but son always bogs off with the whip as soon as we arrive so....I will have to make sure Alw is cool about it all without a specific friend. Not sure how that will be but she is generally a sensible girl and son has kindly (lol) told me to call him in if I need help hahahaha!! I am hoping that it will be a gentle morning of hounds and horses enjoying getting fitter. :) It will be great for me if it goes ok in fact as friend's horse isn't always, actually, a helpful influence.

Michen

Visit site
I too will be needing (but not getting) a stiff drink at stupid a.m tomorrow as Alw and I fly solo with hound exercise! My friend can't make it and so son and I will go but son always bogs off with the whip as soon as we arrive so....I will have to make sure Alw is cool about it all without a specific friend. Not sure how that will be but she is generally a sensible girl and son has kindly (lol) told me to call him in if I need help hahahaha!! I am hoping that it will be a gentle morning of hounds and horses enjoying getting fitter. :) It will be great for me if it goes ok in fact as friend's horse isn't always, actually, a helpful influence.

Alarm set for 4.45am ? Have a brilliant morning. I intend to be home and back in bed by 9!!

palo1

Visit site
The most magnificent little horse ❤️ He didn’t get to stay out all morning but his face when he saw the hounds was so worth the 4.45am alarm!

View attachment 78921

So smart and such happy faces! :) :) We too accomplished our mission and were home by lunch - yay! Alw was just amazing and I am delighted with her. We had to park right next to the hound lorry which was a bit interesting as we tried to tack up but actually apart from snorting wildly and eyes on stalks madam was perfectly polite which was Aim 1. 10/10 She was also super to get on and set off with no fuss about the 3 or 4 other horses around her. It was actually a hard enough morning with hounds on the open hill and us taking them straight up, up, up so all the horses were puffing a bit at the top. We had a lovely couple of hours pottering about with young hounds and horses working their summer tums off but when we hit a large patch of bog which was a pain to navigate round I felt enough had been achieved so son and I reluctantly turned for home. My son was so kind in fact and would usually moan horribly about such a short morning but neither of us wanted to unnecessarily tire the horses and sweet Alw had done herself proud. Bacon roll on the way home and a blissfully relaxed afternoon ahead of us; definitely worth the 5.am alarm!! Sorry no photos of us but 2 from us!!

Attachments

• Optimized-IMG_20210904_083835_1 (2).jpg
    Optimized-IMG_20210904_083835_1 (2).jpg
    664.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Optimized-IMG_20210904_081635_2.jpg
    Optimized-IMG_20210904_081635_2.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 11

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Lottie's first hack. Stuck to the farm ride, round the edges of fields rather than brave the road till I get a sense of how she will be. She was fine till after the first trot then jogged constantly and napped to Dolly. So Dolly went off to do canter intervals while I focused on getting h Lottie more attentive and obedient to me with loads of serpentines and changes of gait and within the gait till she settled. When she walked nicely she could have along rein and travel in straight lines, when she napped or jogged she was given a job. Might as well start from day 1 expecting her to pay attention to her rider and not to anther horse! Very much a work in progress.... But she actually was very good, especially when Katie came flying past a bit closer than was ideal and Lottie stayed in walk. Very happy with her overall.

palo1

Visit site
Lottie's first hack. Stuck to the farm ride, round the edges of fields rather than brave the road till I get a sense of how she will be. She was fine till after the first trot then jogged constantly and napped to Dolly. So Dolly went off to do canter intervals while I focused on getting h Lottie more attentive and obedient to me with loads of serpentines and changes of gait and within the gait till she settled. When she walked nicely she could have along rein and travel in straight lines, when she napped or jogged she was given a job. Might as well start from day 1 expecting her to pay attention to her rider and not to anther horse! Very much a work in progress.... But she actually was very good, especially when Katie came flying past a bit closer than was ideal and Lottie stayed in walk. Very happy with her overall.

It is so much kinder to do exactly that; set out your expectations to your horse first off :) They so much prefer to know what the 'rules' are. Lottie is a lucky girl to have landed on her hooves with you! :)

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Pebbles was amazing at the drill ride. I basically laughed the whole way through, because it was just such fun, like being a kid again. Pebbles has actually only been out in the lorry a handful of times and this is the first time she's been in an arena when out and about. It's also not the easiest first venue because it doubles up as a private air field so there are light aircraft taking off and landing the other side of the hedge, plus massive sheep on the other side and a bunch load of caravans. But she was amazing - literally didn't put a foot wrong even when others in front of her went for some unplanned zoomies. She's just such a doll that pony.

Excitingly we are going to try to do more drill ride training too, as we all really enjoyed ourselves

Token pic with us taking our turn at the back (there was an uneven number today due to lameness so everyone had to take a turn on their own at the back). Because she's a midget Big trot was the order of the day ?
IMG-20210904-WA0010.jpg

J_sarahd

Visit site
So I am very happy with pony even if it doesnt look like a great day on paper.

dressage: it felt so much better than solihull. he actually listened to me and went quite nicely just a fair few tense/looky moments to get 41. But there was a lot of high 30s/40s so I’m not mad. I actually felt quite happy with it. Just need to get him used to the atmosphere. We were in the arena at the bottom near all the cross country so that didn’t help!

Show jumping: nothing to really say. We went clear inside the time. Absolutely thrilled with him as that was genuinely the bit I was worried about most.

Cross country: he was going amazing and went out the start box in canter which we’ve never managed before but we had an unfortunate stop at fence 5 because I didnt set him up right and it was quite a tight line. And then we misjudged the water cause I was going too fast but that didnt count towards penalties. Annoying cause we did it in 4.50 and the OT was 4.29 and if we didnt have those 2 issues we would’ve been inside the time! I know that’s very “if i hadnt had those poles i wouldve won” haha ?

A bit annoyed at our stop but also very, very pleased with him. Some of the 70 fences were pretty big and he tried his little heart out for me.

Sheep

Visit site
Survived my first ever 100% solo outing!
Drive down & back was great, horse was super easy to sort. All was going swimmingly until we went to do our test, then he decided he was actually incredibly spooky and wouldn’t go past a couple of the markers without a fuss ??‍♀️
Anyway, test was OK, nothing special due to the spooking - 64.79% which was totally fair given his silliness! We are back to same venue tomorrow, hoping he will be more settled this time.

Attachments

• 8BC0CA42-7DE6-49B2-A35F-4959BBCDFA76.jpeg
    8BC0CA42-7DE6-49B2-A35F-4959BBCDFA76.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 2
  • F8CF85C1-603A-4CC9-8D5D-77B4E2FD621C.jpeg
    F8CF85C1-603A-4CC9-8D5D-77B4E2FD621C.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 2