Early symptoms of SRMA?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Brilliant news!
I'm sure he will recover better/faster at home. Many years ago my Lab bitch had an unexplained seizure, she spent the weekend at the vets and although no longer fitting, she didn't respond to anything much, wouldn't eat etc. Vet said take her home and monitor. It was like flicking a switch when we got home, she ran round the house, checking everything was the same, ate something and never looked back.

palo1

Visit site
He’s coming home at lunchtime 😅. He’s improved quite a bit overnight - still uncoordinated but vet thinks he’ll recover more quickly at home.

Fantastic news! Well done vets and doggo. :) I have been wondering how your dog has been doing so this is lovely to hear. I was paranoid and quite wobbly myself for the first couple of days after my chap returned home so take it easy both of you lol!

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
Yay. You and your chap have not been far from my thoughts.

Have they confirmed its SRMA?

Thank you - they haven’t confirmed SRMA yet - they’re just calling it severe inflammation of the spinal cord and cerebellum. The tests to confirm definitively that it’s not bacterial or viral won’t be back for a little while yet.

He’s very happy to be home - even though he has a terrible haircut where they did the spinal tap 😬. He’s still quite wobbly but is as cheerful as normal, so he doesn’t seem to have been traumatised by it all.

SilverLinings

Visit site
I have only just read the whole thread, what an awful few days you've had @Muddy unicorn . It sounds positive that he has improved in the last 24hrs though, and that the vets were happy for him to go home. It is a shame that you have to wait 2wks for the DNA results, but great that he is receiving some treatment in the meantime. I hope that he continues to recover and is back to full health in no time, I am keeping my fingers crossed for both of you x

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
We survived our first night with him back home 😅 he’s been quite sleepy which isn’t surprising. He’s still quite wobbly but very determinedly bumbling along after the other dogs - when he sits down for a bit his head moves from side to side so he looks a bit like one of those nodding dogs in the back of cars. We’ve had a few wee accidents because of the steroids - he also doesn’t seem to be getting the normal ‘I need to do a wee’ signals to his brain fast enough because he’ll suddenly start doing a wee then stop, move away from it and look at the puddle in surprise. Apparently his growth is almost certainly going to be stunted so he’s going to be a very small Toller - but better a small Toller then a dead one!

palo1

Visit site
We survived our first night with him back home 😅 he’s been quite sleepy which isn’t surprising. He’s still quite wobbly but very determinedly bumbling along after the other dogs - when he sits down for a bit his head moves from side to side so he looks a bit like one of those nodding dogs in the back of cars. We’ve had a few wee accidents because of the steroids - he also doesn’t seem to be getting the normal ‘I need to do a wee’ signals to his brain fast enough because he’ll suddenly start doing a wee then stop, move away from it and look at the puddle in surprise. Apparently his growth is almost certainly going to be stunted so he’s going to be a very small Toller - but better a small Toller then a dead one!

Aw, poor wee chap! Glad to hear he is cheery if a bit discombobulated atm. Hopefully he will continue to recover well. I wonder why his growth will be stunted; is that related to the treatment? Definitely better to be a small Toller than a dead one though. :) :)

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
Aw, poor wee chap! Glad to hear he is cheery if a bit discombobulated atm. Hopefully he will continue to recover well. I wonder why his growth will be stunted; is that related to the treatment? Definitely better to be a small Toller than a dead one though. :) :)

Thanks - it’s because he’s having such high doses of steroids before he’s finished growing

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
He’s ok, still sitting and walking in an odd, hunched up way and he tried to cross the stream the way he normally would by running across a log and he wobbled off it 😕 so balance is still not great. He’s sleeping a lot which isn’t surprising after what he’s been through. The steroids are making him very thirsty and as a result producing copious wees - he’s been trying to get outside but sometimes starts weeing as he’s running to the door. Next check up with the neurologist on Monday 🤞🏻

Clodagh

Visit site
He’s ok, still sitting and walking in an odd, hunched up way and he tried to cross the stream the way he normally would by running across a log and he wobbled off it 😕 so balance is still not great. He’s sleeping a lot which isn’t surprising after what he’s been through. The steroids are making him very thirsty and as a result producing copious wees - he’s been trying to get outside but sometimes starts weeing as he’s running to the door. Next check up with the neurologist on Monday 🤞🏻
Fingers crossed. It’s bound to take time.

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
We got the results - it’s definitely autoimmune so we’ve stopped giving him the antibiotics. It’s possible he will get immuno-suppressant drugs so we can lower the steroid dose but waiting to see how he goes over the next couple of weeks. He’s getting slightly better every day - considering how seriously unwell he was this time last week it’s a pretty miraculous recovery! The neurologist also said he can’t be vaccinated until he’s been clear of steroids for at least two years. She said he should be protected by herd immunity but we should still avoid unvaccinated dogs - does anyone have experience of having a dog which can’t be vaccinated?

SilverLinings

Visit site
I don't have experience of having an unvaccinated dog, but I just wanted to say that I am so glad you have got the results and that they were helpful. It is great that he is steadily improving, and I hope that he is back to full health soon. Thank you for posting an update, it was awful to read how ill he was to begin with but his progress sounds very encouraging.

palo1

Visit site
We got the results - it’s definitely autoimmune so we’ve stopped giving him the antibiotics. It’s possible he will get immuno-suppressant drugs so we can lower the steroid dose but waiting to see how he goes over the next couple of weeks. He’s getting slightly better every day - considering how seriously unwell he was this time last week it’s a pretty miraculous recovery! The neurologist also said he can’t be vaccinated until he’s been clear of steroids for at least two years. She said he should be protected by herd immunity but we should still avoid unvaccinated dogs - does anyone have experience of having a dog which can’t be vaccinated?

My lad is not vaccinated; the vet didn't want him to have a vaccination after his SRMA and the following year or so the risk of infection was considered very, very small (Covid etc etc) He hasn't been vaccinated for 2 or 3 years now but I am planning to reassess that - I now have a different vet who may feel differently. My dog very rarely goes out with other dogs in any case (other than the dogs we have at home). I know a huge number of unvaccinated dogs actually but for other reasons!