Easter weekend plans :)

ihatework

Visit site
Hot & late day out Eventing for giant.
Very good dressage and clear in the time Xc, but a bit yobby for 2 down showjumping, annoying really - overconfidence, lack of any fillers to back him off and the fat snaffle & cavesson honeymoon period appears to be over 😂

He’s looking a picture at the moment though, much less boat like

JFTDWS

Visit site
Cinematography complete I detoured on the way back for a lovely ride out with JFTD again :) on Sky, I don't really like mares but she's def a nice one! It's definitely handy knowing hhoers when you're horseless :D

I didn't like mares either. I'm utterly sold on her though :D

windand rain

Visit site
We got her to the show she didnt put a foot out of place and even brought home a pretty I was so proud of her behaviour she just did everything we asked and more without being a pain in the neck So I am delighted with her I couldnt ask for more

McFluff

Visit site
Doesn’t the sun just make everything feel much better?
I managed my first after work beach ride on Friday, which was awesome - beach very busy even at 6.30pm, but everyone was lovely and my mare was a dude.
Then had two lessons this weekend, when I did wish it was slightly cooler!
Horse had a good bath, and I’m trying to persuade myself to get ready for work tomorrow. If you’re lucky enough to be off have a great day.

spookypony

Visit site
I buggered up my neck week before last: woke up one day in agony, with a very painful arm and numb and tingling fingers (terrifying for an organist), and spent the week on a sort of medi-go-round, being shunted from GP to physio to GP to GP again to 999 to GP to A&E to GP again to NHS24 to out-of-hours doctor and back to GP, collecting more and more prescriptions along the way: I'm currently on a delightful cocktail of Naproxen, Tramadol, Paracetamol, Diazepam, Pregabalin, and Voltarol (just the gel). All that's missing is an olive, some vodka, and a wee umbrella. Also, I'm to apply frozen peas, and according to 2 people, heat, but according to others, definitely no heat.

A clear diagnosis is still pending an urgent MRI (for which I finally got a referral on the fifth actual GP visit), but the general consensus is that the nerve roots in my neck at C6 and/or C7 are playing silly buggers and need to calm down. Doctor 1 (of 4, + 2 physios and 3 paramedics) immediately said, without actually bothering to examine me, might I say, that I would almost definitely need surgery and would have to give up horses. Fortunately, everybody else thinks that's bo11ocks, and that as excruciating as the pain has been, these things usually resolve by themselves in a while... Anyway, after a while of this, I was thoroughly fed up and went to an osteopath on a friend's recommendation, since when things have been improving rapidly.

Nevertheless, this has meant missing the Easter dressage last week (and I'd spent so much time preparing the DTM!), and the first Endurance of the season, which was supposed to be a 30k with my mare's brother's mare (so would that be her sister-in-law?).

Silver lining is that this gives us some extra time to sort out our simple changes and do the Elementary DTM instead of the Novice next time: having only just recovered our ability to start cantering again cleanly, we've not quite worked out yet how to stop, so the Novice gave me the opportunity to hide our slightly messy downward transitions in a corner. But the Novice is otherwise so boring: by the time you do all those huge required circles, there's hardly any time left to do any non-required, but possibly more interesting, movements! The Elementary's smaller shapes and bits of lateral work suit us so much better, but there are those darn simple changes... It shouldn't take long to recover them, hopefully, seeing as they weren't a problem before all the (me-related) issues started...

So this weekend, all that happened horsey-wise was that a friend drove me to the horses, we handed out a huge pile of extra-strong mints, and my friend longed the Ballerina Mare for a few minutes, who seemed rather confused by this. Yesterday, we drove out again, handed out more extra-strong mints, and this time, I longed her myself (!!!), just for about 10 minutes, but she was much better: don't think she's done that in a while, and had to process what it was all about.

Hopefully, I will be on board again soon!

My instructor, OTOH, had an insanely good weekend. She has a fabulous 9yo dressage horse, who did his first Intermédiaire I about 2 weeks ago. Since he tends to lose the plot a bit at bigger events like Nationals, and since that's hard to practise for up in NE Scotland, she decided to try eventing him a bit to get him used to more lit-up atmospheres. So she took him to his first BE80 this weekend, which he won handily with 4 SJ faults and a clear XC on top of an insanely low dressage score. Cross-training successful!

zaminda

Visit site
Spookypony, hope you recover soon, and get some answers! It must be terrifying not knowing.
Our weekend has been pretty epic. On seeing the forecast for Sunday, I decided I had better clip Winnie for her 80k debut, as she has a fairly thick summer coat anyway. I have been planning on doing her, but this has pushed me to action. I was working most of Saturday, so this ended up being done late afternoon. The ride was in the Forest of Dean, so we took Winnie up to stay at my OH's mothers place, as my horses live over an hour in the wrong direction from where I live! So after a late night Saturday, it was up early to get to our ride for 8:15, as we were vetting at 8:40.
It was a lovely venue, although we had to take our own water, as there was none available. Our initial vetting was ok, heart rate of 40, good trot up, and not fab with her mouth, but better than previously.
Off we went on our ride, ready to go as soon as allowed hoping to beat the heat for the first part. It was 2 40k loops, which makes it tougher as you only have one hold. The ride itself was lovely and shaded, although the lack of soft tracks meant we were basically only trotting due to the ground. I did get a bit lost, as in a couple of places markers were a bit sparse, and there were a few bits where they appeared to have been moved! We also had to mainly ride alone, which isn't her preference, but bless her she was great.
We made it back to the venue having done 43k instead of 40k, and vetted within 5 minutes with heart rate back down to 48. She drank huge amounts which was good, and was cool to the touch quickly.
We headed back out on the second loop, and rode with someone until our paths split which was nice. Then we were back on our own. This loop was much tougher, as it was getting hotter and we literally saw no other horses. I did stop and chat to a family whose little girl clearly wanted to stroke the horse. Winnie stood like a rock as they all gathered around her making a fuss of her.
We slowed down in the heat, and made it back to the venue, this time doing 41k, so clearly they hadn't been generous with the distances!
Lots more water on the horse, and in the horse, on top of superb crewing all the way round from my lovely OH, led to a heart rate of 48 on finishing and her being really well hydrated, with the vet commenting that she was better hydrated than the horses only doing the short rides.
I can't say how pleased I am with her, she was absolutely fab, and tried her heart out, and is now qualified to go advanced which is even better! As a good example of cross training her next outing will probably be jumping of some description.
We did have a bit of a nightmare on the way home though, as we had a blowout on the trailer coming across the Severn bridge, but all good in the end.

scats

Visit site
Had a lovely day at Kelsall yesterday spectating, but was rather glad I had my factor 50 on!
Millie is lame. Trying not to panic and hoping she’s just been a bit stupid on the hard ground in the field, but she’s having a weeks rest and then I’ll look at her again at the weekend.
Polly is now doing a bit of trot work under saddle and so far so good. She’s much happier bitless.

oldie48

Visit site
Some great pics again, particularly loved rara007's!
As I am lorryless ATM I went to support our Quest team, fortunately someone was able to take my Novice class so there was a full team. The novice scoring was very harsh, I was quite shocked by the scores given! My sub got a 59% for a pretty accurate obedient test! Our team was second out of three but as there were 2 riding at Novice, they were a bit disadvantaged (honestly, not complaining just saying!). I was quite pleased Rose and I couldn't compete. I did get out early for my first complete solo hack on Rose. She was a bit nappy and very shouty but she did it and we will do it again tomorrow. I hate hacking on my own so it was a bit of a land mark for us.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Looks fab rara007, I can see myself taking up the sport one day, it really appeals

Do it! Its such a friendly, welcoming sport. Everyone goes out of their way to help everyone else. And the relationship you get with your horse is like no other. I love driving but would be bored to tears ambling round the lanes. Bobbie is doing some unaffiliated stuff over the summer and hopefully doing her first proper outdoor in August so its all systems go for us!

I am now officially done with jump making for a while! I have made 5 sets of basic uprights, a set of mini wings, a set of bigger wings and a big pair of oxer wings, and theres 3 cavalleti needing to be put together but we didnt have long enough screws! Not bad for about 12 hours work.

I find lots of things very frustrating as Im not physically able to do them, so it makes me really happy when I can manage to do things like this, even if I have to do almost all of it sitting down and have helpers to bring me things and move things about. I still did everything bar the hand sawing. I'm now making vague plans for XC jumps, just maybe not till next week!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Not really training or competing, but a task that I have ticked off over the weekend, albeit with some delays in the process.....

Small yak pony before.....

58591279_1331676446971379_3718814578751045632_n.jpg

Small yak pony half way through and the way he has remained since Friday - look at that face!!! A handy tip is to check you have spare blades before commencing such a mammoth task!!

58376130_10217498896397028_5464890879619629056_n.jpg

Thanks to Amazon, a finished job today!!! Not looking bad for a 27 year old with Cushings, rubbish teeth and loads of melanomas.

57456945_1331676416971382_5852551320631771136_n.jpg

oldie48

Visit site
Not really training or competing, but a task that I have ticked off over the weekend, albeit with some delays in the process.....

Small yak pony before.....

58591279_1331676446971379_3718814578751045632_n.jpg

Small yak pony half way through and the way he has remained since Friday - look at that face!!! A handy tip is to check you have spare blades before commencing such a mammoth task!!

58376130_10217498896397028_5464890879619629056_n.jpg

Thanks to Amazon, a finished job today!!! Not looking bad for a 27 year old with Cushings, rubbish teeth and loads of melanomas.

57456945_1331676416971382_5852551320631771136_n.jpg
I bet he was so grateful to you and he looks fab!

Snowfilly

Visit site
Point to point was fab, picked two winners and two seconds (sadly, the two seconds were both in 2 horse races so not all that impressive!)

My instructor's young horse lobbed his way round the maiden and came 4th from 6 finishers on his first ever outing, finished full of running and really happy with himself. Promising!

Bernster

Visit site
SF most of our p2p races only had 2 horses in them! And one had 1 in it. We never saw more than 2 horses finishing. Is that normal for a p2p or was this one just very low on starters?