Eazigrazer, haycube or something else?

hellspells

Visit site
I had logged on to do a search of old posts, but as that can’t be done at the moment I’ll ask a question I know has been asked before.

Looking for opinions on the eazigrazer or haycube or something else?

I want something I can soak in as well as going in the stable. To start with for a Dartmoor pony but I may get one for my horse too (although I don’t think a haycube would be sensible for her with their height and chance of putting her foot in it).

Thanks!

vickie123

Visit site
I love my haycubes. I use them in the field and have used one for soaking my ems pony’s hay. They have made life so much easier. My friend has a 13hh pony who has one in his stable and is able to eat from it with no problems.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
yeah I'm very happy with my haycube too. had it about 5 years and despite them all giving it a good battering it is still in good nick.

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
I hate my hay cube :( I so wanted to love it but I just don't. Doesn't help that one of the wheels fell off within a couple of weeks of buying it! I've found their customer service to be extremely poor.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Hay cube is good although I wasn’t sure when I first got it. Now very happy with it and it holds loads of hay for my greedy guts 16.3 ISH. Wheels are still attached a couple of weeks on... but it would be useless if one fell off as it’s reasonably heavy to move when stuffed entirely full!

Nativelover

Visit site
If you wanted a cheaper alternative and not bothered about slowing eating down. I used a ‘duck bath’ which is basically a heavy duty plastic bath with a rubber plug. Only down side is that it had no wheels and was heavy when full of soaked hay. But I had a drain outside my stable so hardly any distance to move it.

holeymoley

Visit site
I like my hay cube but I do second the fact their customer service is poor. Mine took about 2 weeks longer to arrive than expected. 6months later the wheel has fallen off(screws back in thankfully but every days a bit of a joke...) and it’s pretty impossible to move if you’ve filled it to the brim haha but other than that I really like it and the idea of it.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
If you're handy or have a handy person, you can easily make your own soaker/feeder from a wheelie bin.

I cut approx half way down at the front, then down the sides, leaving some side wall and the back and handles for strength and moveability. Drill a decent sized hole at the bottom, with a removable plug. Fill a net, shove it in to soak, remove plug to drain, wheel to stable, feed! I saw the design on FB and it has worked brilliantly

hellspells

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies so far! Love the duck bath, but not sure it would work for the Dartie and her calorie controlled diet. I do indeed have a handy person, so will look at the wheelie bin too.

Interesting no reviews on the eazigrazer so far, which is probably my preferred option at the moment.

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
I like my hay cube but I do second the fact their customer service is poor. Mine took about 2 weeks longer to arrive than expected. 6months later the wheel has fallen off(screws back in thankfully but every days a bit of a joke...) and it’s pretty impossible to move if you’ve filled it to the brim haha but other than that I really like it and the idea of it.

Oh really? So annoying isn't it? I went to re attach mine but it's on a long screw and bolt so I'll have to measure up and buy a new one...I'm trying to return it but no such luck as yet.

The Jakenator

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies so far! Love the duck bath, but not sure it would work for the Dartie and her calorie controlled diet. I do indeed have a handy person, so will look at the wheelie bin too.

Interesting no reviews on the eazigrazer so far, which is probably my preferred option at the moment.

Hi, I have an eazigrazer, I also have the American version (portagrazer) I’ve had that for about 6 years and is still going strong, it doesn’t hold enough hay though so I brought the eazigrazer which holds much more hay, however, my horse broke it within the first week, it is still useable and the company sent me out another one, he has broke that one too, again, still useable. The plugs have been rubbish on both bins, always leaking, quite heavy to move about with wet hay in but that’s fine for me, it doesn’t really slow my horses eating down but then he is the master of all things slow feeder, I use them everyday but I wouldn’t buy another one as I don’t think they are worth the money, my best slow feeder is the wheelie hay.

Max123

Visit site
I have a Haylo and I love it. I don't secure it to the wall and my horse likes to knock it over and straighten it up again so it amuses him as well as feeds him. It has a bung so can be used for soaking too

Baroque

Visit site
I bought a Haycube recently and the bolt through the wheel dropped out of its keeper the first day. It took a few days waiting for replies to e-mails but I was sent a replacement. Now I have one that works I love it and am going to get a second one shortly. Apparently they have changed the design to solve the wheel problem. I hope so because its a fine idea when it works. I did find the delay in answering e-mails more than a little irritating though. It shouldn't take three days!

Scarlett

Visit site
Haycube here too. I had the wheel issue after a few days but we fixed it and have had no issues since, I soak hay in it, drain it and then use it in both field and stable. Its saved me lots of time and I love that I no longer have to deal with heavy, wet nets. Horse also wastes less so it has easily paid for itself in the time I have had it!

Very happy with mine and would buy another if I needed it.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Love my haycube. Also had the wheel issue but it just needed tightening. I haven't yet had to soak this year, but have had to for others in the past and it would be so easy in the haycube.

I have had ours on box rest for several weeks and I wouldn't have wanted him to be dependent on haynets, so having him able to eat "from the floor" without it being all over the floor has been a complete win.

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
A couple of other things I'm not happy with - the lip is rough so worried about pony catching himself on it whilst pulling hay out and I hate the way water collects in the feet...I was using this in the heatwave so soaking for about 60 mins then draining off but due to the water collecting, it started fermenting even after draining as much as possible. I just think it's a really poor design! I desperately wanted to like it after struggling with soaking hay nets (I have a bad back) but I don't get on with it at all, massive waste of money in my case. I know others love it though!

hellspells

Visit site
It’s interesting what you say HiPo’sHuman, it’s everything that I thought I’d dislike about the hay cube. And I worry about how you can clean them well when they are square rather than round and with the lip. I also worry my WB would get a leg in it, she’s not always the brightest and prone to panicking. Thank you!

TRS

New User
Visit site
It’s interesting what you say HiPo’sHuman, it’s everything that I thought I’d dislike about the hay cube. And I worry about how you can clean them well when they are square rather than round and with the lip. I also worry my WB would get a leg in it, she’s not always the brightest and prone to panicking. Thank you!

Hellspells
What did you end up with? I am looking at Hay Cube vs Eazigrazer vs Haylo. It's for a lami type pony, so keen to have the regulator, which the Eazigrazer and Haylo have. Shame the hay cube doesn't. They are all incredibly expensive, so want to make the right choice.
Any other advice from anyone?
Thanks

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Im going to save up for a haygain forager but I don't think you can soak hay in them which is a shame as they are very robust & large. I have just treated ourselves to a secondhand haygain steamer as fed up of all the soaking hay - its wonderful - yes very costly but an investment.

hellspells

Visit site
Hellspells
What did you end up with? I am looking at Hay Cube vs Eazigrazer vs Haylo. It's for a lami type pony, so keen to have the regulator, which the Eazigrazer and Haylo have. Shame the hay cube doesn't. They are all incredibly expensive, so want to make the right choice.
Any other advice from anyone?
Thanks

I went with the eazigrazer- I am so, so pleased with it, the customer service was beyond brilliant and the product so far has been great. Very easy for soaking hay and the pony took to it straight away. I will be buying another for my horse next - I could go on and on about how brilliant it is!

Reactions: TRS

holeymoley

Visit site
The customer service is what let's the haycube down IMO. I still like mine, it's just become part of my daily task to screw the wheel back in lol. I've also purchased various brushes to try and clean in the tricky areas as they were getting pretty grim despite being brushed and hosed out each day. I do really like the idea though, it saves lugging wet haynets and cramming haynets full. Mine is kind of redundant now for the Winter as I'm on haylage, but I still use it, I like that he's not pulling from a haynet all night.

TPO

Visit site
Haycube here too.

I used to feed from the floor, then a haybar before getting hay cubes and haven't looked back.

Much less wastage and perfect for soaking hay.

I had the original versions and now have 2 of the new ones. There are a few niggles about the new version that I don't like but I do really like that it's taller so easier to manoeuvre.

I've had a loose wheel but it's been easy to fix so I've never had a reason to contact customer service so can't comment. When I ordered they've all arrived promptly. When mum phoned to order 3 of the originals they offered a discount for buying 2 at the same time in black so I can't fault the service that we've received.

TRS

New User
Visit site
I went with the eazigrazer- I am so, so pleased with it, the customer service was beyond brilliant and the product so far has been great. Very easy for soaking hay and the pony took to it straight away. I will be buying another for my horse next - I could go on and on about how brilliant it is!

Hellspells, brill. I am thinking that too. Thanks!!

Tronk

Visit site
I would advise against an Easigrazer. I’ve just sold mine as the plug constantly leaked, and I didn’t like the hard plastic on their teeth. Ridiculously expensive for what they are.