Ebay purchase!

GREYSMEADOW

Visit site
I have recently received a saddle which I bid for on ebay.
It was advertised as good condition but could do with an oil. Has usual saddle marks, but sound/checked by saddler last month.
But the leather is cracking/torn appearance on either side of the seat and the stitching is missing along the knee roll. It said that no returns accepted. I would say that the saddle to be in fair condition and not good condition. How would I stand with the seller and ebay. Your comments would be helpful. Thanks.

s4sugar

Visit site
It was advertised as good condition but could do with an oil. Has usual saddle marks, but sound/checked by saddler last month.
But the leather is cracking/torn appearance on either side of the seat and the stitching is missing along the knee roll. It said that no returns accepted. I would say that the saddle to be in fair condition and not good condition. How would I stand with the seller and ebay. Your comments would be helpful. Thanks.

Putting no return is not allowed. Contact the seller through ebay and state the problem and unless they offer a solution contact ebay and repot the item "significantly not as described". Is the saddle useable as is? Also the seller should be able to refer you to the saddler that checked it over.

You can PM me the item number & I'll have a dig around.

Angua2

Visit site
If it helps I got a saddle off e-bay with the same comment, I started dialogue/opened a dispute and the seller took the saddle back and refunded the money. In my case the saddle was advertised as a 17" when in reality it was an 18"

hayinamanger

Visit site
I would contact the seller, listing the issues that were not mentioned in the description. If you get no/unhelpful response, open a case against them. You stand a very good chance of getting your money back.

GREYSMEADOW

Visit site
There is also some tear marks on the leather right underneath the saddle - probably damaged by continually putting saddle on rustic /rough type fence. I'll have another look at the saddle when I get home but I guess its useable but not as described condition wise.

GREYSMEADOW

Visit site
Putting no return is not allowed. Contact the seller through ebay and state the problem and unless they offer a solution contact ebay and repot the item "significantly not as described". Is the saddle useable as is? Also the seller should be able to refer you to the saddler that checked it over.

You can PM me the item number & I'll have a dig around.

I have PM'ed you. Thanks.

its_noodles

Visit site
That's right. Go to your Ebay account and put in a complaint "Significantly not as described". The fact that the seller says he doesn't accept returns won't matter. I think you will have to wait for a few days for a reply from the seller. If he doesn't reply, I think Ebay will simply refund you. Alternatively, ask the seller if he would do a partial refund...

s4sugar

Visit site
That's right. Go to your Ebay account and put in a complaint "Significantly not as described". The fact that the seller says he doesn't accept returns won't matter. I think you will have to wait for a few days for a reply from the seller. If he doesn't reply, I think Ebay will simply refund you. Alternatively, ask the seller if he would do a partial refund...

No - never ask for a partial refund. This a a common ploy by scammers and in fact against ebay rules/procedures. You want to return the saddle for a full refund. (couriers are much cheaper than Royal Mail but £20 is a joke. Should be around £12 or use Special delivery for £25.80

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
Open a not as described case if Seller is awkward. I always ask the Sekller about condition, any damage, loose stitching et before I place a bid. It's amazing how someones exc cond isn't my idea of even good cond.

1Lucie

Visit site
I would contact the seller and see what response you get. If not satisfactory then report. This is why when I sell horse stuff on eBay I encourage ppl to ask me questions as ppl's opinions and exprctations can differ.

nixxyz

Visit site
I would just ask to send the saddle back if your not happy, but please please send it recorded as then they cant say they didn't receive it, oh and take photos of it so again its condition cant be disputed. Ebay work very much in favour of the customer so you should get your money back.

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
To be honest unless the tree is damaged/straps unsafe or fittings loose, then it's pretty much open to opinion regarding condition. Depends on how much it cost I guess.
The seller will probably have to give you a refund but you'll have to pay the postage. Could you not sell it on? rather than lose money on it?

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Just be aware that you will be responsible for the return postage no matter if the saddle was faulty or not as described.

I know this definately to be the case with ebay. It may just sway whether you want to ask for resolution by a partial refund for example to cover the poorer condition or maybe reapir stitching of the kneerolls.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Royal Mail charged me £20 to send my leather saddle to the buyer. It was ridiculously heavy, thought that was an ok price (4 years ago)

Hawks27

Visit site
I've jsut opened a case with ebay seeking a refund over a saddle advertised as black and in good condition well its brown needs both saddle flaps stitching flockings knackered and its scuffed and scratched to hell. seller has a returns policy but she has ignored my requests to return. If you cna proove seller to have falsly advertised item ebay will go in your favour and provide a refund but i know they have time limits on reporting issues i reported mine as soon as i opened the box as blatently no good and i wasnt even going to try it on my horse it will be shipped straight back as soon as ebay provide me return details, do read thier guidelines, contact seller first and if no response log with the resolution centre on ebay

Queenbee

Visit site

If the saddle is not as advertised... it can absolutely be returned...

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
Off topic but mildly amusing Ebay story from earlier today.

Buyer offers 40 pounds for a saddle advertised Buy It Now @ 75. I turned it down offering it to her for 60 pounds - she then offers 35(!) and wants me to ship it to America at my expense!
Considering USA postage would be at least 50 quid I think not lol!

Also - there is no Pound key on my ancient laptop...

crabbymare

Visit site
If you used paypal it may be possible to also report it to them so they put a hold on the funds going to the seller

hayinamanger

Visit site
I recently bought a saddle on Ebay, it was described as 'in as new condition' the girth straps were badly worn and the seller told me that I had caused the damage myself and would not accept a return. I opened a 'item not as described case', the seller continued to accuse me of damaging the saddle but Ebay decided I should send the saddle back AND sent me a pre-paid label. All costs were refunded.:)

GREYSMEADOW

Visit site
Thank you for your input which I have taken on board. I do always return stuff recorded/special delivery so that it will arrive safely.

To give you an update, I popped over to my friend who is a BHS instructor and her opinion of the saddle is that is it definitely of ‘fair condition’ not good condition at all and the seller could of least given the saddle a good clean and with saddle soap too – which I also agree.

Then her livery arrived who is a saddler too and I showed her the saddle. She advised me that the seat will go soon and needs replacing, the flocking is knackered and needs replacing (uneven in places) you would not want to put this on a horse’s back, the middle girth straps are bent and need replacing. Both knee rolls need stitching. Not really cared for and probably been left out in the sun as it’s a bit faded and also stained in places probably due to the rain. Definitely not in good condition.

So my intention is to return the saddle to the seller because of these issues.

I intend sending an email via ebay to the seller and put ebay and paypal on alert and if I don't hear from the seller or refuses return and refund then I will open up a case.

cob&onion

Visit site
Open up a dispute, if the saddle is not as described you will be able to send it back and paypal will refund.
Paypal is 99% of the time in favour of the buyer.
Make sure you have a tracking number and proof of postage when you send it!

GREYSMEADOW

Visit site
Well I responded back to the seller – and I received a reply!

The seller states that the qualified saddler checked it over this year and another a few years ago. Flock is perfectly acceptable and in good working order as described per advert.
Girth strap does not require replacement and may have become bent/twisted whilst packed up in box.
Then goes on stating that the seat is showing signs of wear but this is nothing unusual for a saddle that has been used for some years. This was not mentioned in the advert! The picture provided in the advert did not show this wear on the seat. The seller also states that the seat does not need replacing and will last many years.

The seller is prepared to pay the cost for a qualified saddler to dye this saddle for me as a gesture of good will. The seller also wants me to forward the details of the Saddler who assessed this saddle.

Where should I go from here? I still consider the saddle to be fair condition and not good condiion. Also the seller has failed to mention (in the advert) that the seat is showing signs of wear; but also says the saddle is in good condition.

I don’t see why I have to provide the seller details of the saddler as the dispute is with the seller, her advert and myself.

I would welcome some further advice.

Many thanks.

Email: greysmeadow100@aol.com

EmmasMummy

Visit site
I would just go back stating that Item is not as described as its not! End of. Or ask her for the name of the saddler she has used.

I once sold a saddle on ebay - to someone locally - for £10. It was old, the seat was worn and would need replacing soon but as far as I knew everything else was ok - but I described it as a backing saddle, possibly NOT suitable for riding in. And to be honest it sounds like the one you just bought, and I would not have said GOOD condition.

To me Good when it comes to a saddle means - no areas torn or excessive wear. That it could be used at say, a show or something. Excellent of course means basically as new or will not need anything fixed for a good while.
Fair means you could rid in it, AFTER it has a wee refurb/check.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
At this point I would open a "not as described" dispute with eBay as clearly the seller is unwilling to listen to your point of view.

Considering the damage to the seat was not even mentioned in the listing I think you have a pretty strong case against the seller. Plus eBay/PayPal do tend to side with the buyer in most cases :)

GREYSMEADOW

Visit site
I would just go back stating that Item is not as described as its not! End of. Or ask her for the name of the saddler she has used.

I once sold a saddle on ebay - to someone locally - for £10. It was old, the seat was worn and would need replacing soon but as far as I knew everything else was ok - but I described it as a backing saddle, possibly NOT suitable for riding in. And to be honest it sounds like the one you just bought, and I would not have said GOOD condition.

To me Good when it comes to a saddle means - no areas torn or excessive wear. That it could be used at say, a show or something. Excellent of course means basically as new or will not need anything fixed for a good while.
Fair means you could rid in it, AFTER it has a wee refurb/check.

Thanks EmmasMummy for your comments.

I did got back to the seller that the item was not as described and at the same time it is logged as a case with ebay. I do have the names of the sellers qualified saddlers too. I also agree with you on what is good condition and fair condition is considered to be.

GREYSMEADOW

Visit site
At this point I would open a "not as described" dispute with eBay as clearly the seller is unwilling to listen to your point of view.

Considering the damage to the seat was not even mentioned in the listing I think you have a pretty strong case against the seller. Plus eBay/PayPal do tend to side with the buyer in most cases :)

Thanks GG2B.
The case is already filed within ebay - the seller has to reply back to me within a certain period with a resolution of which I am still unhappy with.

The seller has failed to mention in words within the advert about the condition of the seat – the reply states: “The seat is showing signs of wear but this is nothing unusual for a saddle that has been used for some years (I also included a picture). The seat does not need replacing and will last many years.”

This by no means was mentioned in the advert and the photo does not show the wear on the seat!

I hope ebay will be on my side. I am willing to show them photos of my issues.

GREYSMEADOW

Visit site
I’ve just come back from seeing another qualified saddler for a second opinion.

Their feedback was:
Firstly all girth straps need replacing and definitely needs reflocking.
The marks on the leather is due to not being cared for properly – been left in a cold damp environment and cause of the marks/blotches onthe leather is due to mildew / dirt.
The seat is worn and tearing and is not in good condition at all.

If anyone wants to see some photos of this saddle I can email them over as I don't know how to load on here.

Thanks again.