Ed the ex-racer

Annagain

Visit site
Sorry to hear this. I've follwed his story since the start and enjoyed reading about his progress. He seems like a real sweetie. Fingers crossed all the treatment works.

timbobs

Visit site
Oh sweetie. I'm sorry. The wet weather won't help (suspensories). Sending you love and hugs.

Thankfully we’re on sandy soil with very little mud so hopefully it shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

Trying my best to get him comfortable but I’m not feeling optimistic.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Aw, I just read this whole thread and really enjoyed it. Sorry to read the latest updates. Hope he comes sound with some rest. He looks like a lovely boy.

SEL

Visit site
Thankfully we’re on sandy soil with very little mud so hopefully it shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

Trying my best to get him comfortable but I’m not feeling optimistic.

I am sorry. Don't rush your decision making while he's still comfortable. I agreed with the vet last week to go through a rehab plan for 3 months and see how she goes (SI, suspensory damage, hocks and PSSM - she's a bit of a mess!)

timbobs

Visit site
I am sorry. Don't rush your decision making while he's still comfortable. I agreed with the vet last week to go through a rehab plan for 3 months and see how she goes (SI, suspensory damage, hocks and PSSM - she's a bit of a mess!)

Sorry to headband about your mare- hopefully she’s fixable for you!

I’m not in a rush to make any decisions about him, but he’s not particularly comfortable at the moment I don’t think. He’s off his feed a bit and isn’t lying down as far as we can tell. He seems to have lost his sparky, cheeky personality and I miss it!

On the scan his right hind suspensory was very scarred and jagged all the way down so it looks to be an old injury and the vet doesn't think this will improve/change. The left hind showed up as a large black hole on the ultrasound, so this is what we are trying to improve with the rest.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
How gorgeous is he, just looking over the pictures of him.

Don't for one bit think its yourself or how you've ridden/worked him, he probably had these issues as a 2yr old from being backed young and its only showing now as you 'fix' things as he works correctly things hurt.

Fingers crossed Ed.

Reactions: JJS

timbobs

Visit site
Ed passed peacefully over Rainbow Bridge this morning 💔

He couldn’t be fixed and I’m absolutely devastated although I know I’ve made the right decision.

He was the most amazing horse and we had such a fantastic time together even though it was years too short.

The sun was out and he had a mouth full of carrots so it was the best it could have been.

Run free my darling Ed xxx

2CFEAB07-CA68-4558-8602-197AE7A2FD32.jpeg652DA254-9795-4804-AE4F-6B9A68004075.jpeg48CF6615-3CCF-4FDB-AE86-9BCE48E098C2.jpegB1B85611-3E85-4708-88C1-883DB826B24F.jpeg8A7B75F7-4A55-44F1-98A1-B03AE88707A8.jpeg330913C5-29FC-477F-BE80-83CC1C7AADE8.jpeg

rosiesowner

Visit site
Gosh timbobs, i'm so sorry to read that. Genuinely really really really sorry. You should have had so much more time together. But look at this thread, it just proves how much you two achieved together and is such a treasure trove of memories. Sending you love from the library at uni, where my struggle with this essay question suddenly doesn't seem important any more! xx

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I am so sorry it's such a shame he was so broken, I really loved reading about his progress he was such a lovely boy you did such a great job with him, take care be kind to yourself xx

SEL

Visit site
I thought of you this morning. If ever there was a week to celebrate being his last then a week of sun in the middle of February, when its warm enough to let him run around naked, then this one was just perfect. Look after yourself this weekend and remember the good times xxx

waggit

Visit site
Thoughts are with you honey. The courage it takes to make that decision is huge. Ed looked so happy and content with you in the pics you posted. I am sure he is running free and thanking every lucky star that you found each other. Loads of hugs coming from me and my deeply missed ex racer.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm so sorry that he couldn't be mended but glad that this morning went well for him - on a lovely sunny day.

Try to concentrate on remembering the good times and rest assured that you did the best you could for him, right to the end.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
So sorry. You've done the hardest thing a loving owner can do with a young but broken horse. Take care.

Mariposa

Visit site
I saw the sad news on instagram, my heart breaks for you. I'm so sorry, he was clearly so loved and had such a wonderful life with you. Lucky horse to be so loved, I'm really sorry for your loss.

timbobs

Visit site
Thank you for all the lovely messages yesterday.

Feeling a bit strange and lost today without him - I’m not sure what people do without horses to fill their time!