Eek, jumping critique/help, do your worst...

Michen

Visit site
There is a clue to the twist in the still you put up showing it. Look at your position and think about where your weight is going and how he has to conteract this. Dont be fooled by which way you're leaning, look at which of your legs is supporting your weight. Then watch the vids very carefully and see if you are straight through your body or collapse the same hip every time. Remember horses have to rebalance when ever we change our weight distribution on them.

Hmmm ok interesting, I thought I was like that in the photo because of how he's thrown me... I do have regular physio and haven't had anything thrown up. So I'm collapsing to the right? That's interesting as this trainer (whose never met me before) mentioned that it seemed like my left calf was less secure/flying around. Give it was my right ankle that's broken, seems odd. But this twist was there before I broke it so, no excuse!

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Hmmm ok interesting, I thought I was like that in the photo because of how he's thrown me... I do have regular physio and haven't had anything thrown up. So I'm collapsing to the right? That's interesting as this trainer (whose never met me before) mentioned that it seemed like my left calf was less secure/flying around. Give it was my right ankle that's broken, seems odd. But this twist was there before I broke it so, no excuse!
No, your collapsing to the left pushing your weight to the right. In the pic your right leg and arm are straight. Your left leg and are are bent, arm moved to the right. Look at your chest line for a good indication. So yes your left calf is insecure but that is just a symptom of the core failure.
Think about what happens if riding on the flat and you move your weight to the right. Horse will bend right putting you and him back in balance. He is curling around your new centre of gravity to put rider and horse as a whole back in balance. Over a fence he cant bend easily so is throwing his legs left to counterbalance your weight move to the right. In all your vids you seem to fold slightly to the left on takeoff, never right. Could very well explain the twist he is making and why he doesn't do it with other rider.
This was a problem I had which I only really became aware of when I rode a mare that would punish me in no uncertain terms if I wasn't bang in the centre of her over a fence. Can also cause a horse to drift on takeoff if the rider is consistently out of balance in the same direction and the horse learns that it needs to shift its balance at takeoff.
It's fascinating how so little can affect the way a horse jumps.

Michen

Visit site
No, your collapsing to the left pushing your weight to the right. In the pic your right leg and arm are straight. Your left leg and are are bent, arm moved to the right. Look at your chest line for a good indication. So yes your left calf is insecure but that is just a symptom of the core failure.
Think about what happens if riding on the flat and you move your weight to the right. Horse will bend right putting you and him back in balance. He is curling around your new centre of gravity to put rider and horse as a whole back in balance. Over a fence he cant bend easily so is throwing his legs left to counterbalance your weight move to the right. In all your vids you seem to fold slightly to the left on takeoff, never right. Could very well explain the twist he is making and why he doesn't do it with other rider.
This was a problem I had which I only really became aware of when I rode a mare that would punish me in no uncertain terms if I wasn't bang in the centre of her over a fence. Can also cause a horse to drift on takeoff if the rider is consistently out of balance in the same direction and the horse learns that it needs to shift its balance at takeoff.
It's fascinating how so little can affect the way a horse jumps.

That's really interesting because look at how I'm sat here...

I've had so many different lessons but no ones ever said...

Damn how do I fix this! 44927083_10160792324455618_2986449356871172096_n.jpg

PaddyMonty

Visit site
That's really interesting because look at how I'm sat here...

I've had so many different lessons but no ones ever said...

Damn how do I fix this! View attachment 30084
Guess you just haven't had lessons with the right people :p
Low grid work with lots of fences, 5+ is ideal. Stay in jump position (hate saying that as there is no such thing) and learn to feel your weight. Keep your head up and pick a point to look at that is off in the distance and dead centre of the grid. Jumps need to be low so you can focus on you and not the grid. You just have to unlearn current muscle memory and learn new ones.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Oh that pic is interesting! I thought you were twisting because of him too. But he's straight in that xc pic
No he's not. Forelegs slightly to left, hinds more so. Rider will feel the twist as horse starts to decend from apex of jump and more so on landing as rider rebalances and horse responds.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
No he's not. Forelegs slightly to left, hinds more so. Rider will feel the twist as horse starts to decend from apex of jump and more so on landing as rider rebalances and horse responds.
Yes, but he's basically leading straight with his fronts and then looks like he's had to correct for the balance in the air, with the exaggerated hind end twist - it gives a different perspective from the original still. Sorry, wrote comment quickly so wasn't clear.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I have nothing to add, but have followed with interest, brave asking for critic but very interesting replies.

PaddyMonty I wish you were closer I’d love jumping lessons from you, or before you did silly things to yourself 😜 for you to jump Skylla for me.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I have nothing to add, but have followed with interest, brave asking for critic but very interesting replies.

PaddyMonty I wish you were closer I’d love jumping lessons from you, or before you did silly things to yourself 😜 for you to jump Skylla for me.

Hehe, I think my pick on this thread for a lesson would definitely be paddi22 - always such insightful comments on jumping threads (but alas, whole sea in the way of that one 😜)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Hehe, I think my pick on this thread for a lesson would definitely be paddi22 - always such insightful comments on jumping threads (but alas, whole sea in the way of that one 😜)

I'd take either, but they'd both despair of me :p

Michen

Visit site
Not a great video quality wise I know but any better? It felt like we were meeting the fences on a better stride, think we go wonky over one or two but overall felt better I think. I gave myself a massive kick up the arse to try and actually ride a bit rather than sitting all frozen solid. First time jumping again since original videos and post. Gridwork next week!

[video]
[\video]

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
yes better than before, but you still need to be less upright yourself... you are very brave putting up videos but overall a nicer picture than last time. well done

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Yes definitely! The couple of wonky jumps then just seemed to be because he got a bit gung ho round the corner before and lost the straightness through his body

Michen

Visit site
Ahhh now I’m confused though about being less upright. Before this round instructor told me my shoulders were too forward which was what was not helping re the twist and wrong striding. So made a conscious effort to get the shoulders back but that makes me too upright maybe?

Such a fine line eh..!!!

Michen

Visit site
yes better than before, but you still need to be less upright yourself... you are very brave putting up videos but overall a nicer picture than last time. well done
Sorry meant to quote you above! How do I be less upright whilst still keeping my shoulders back? So much to learn 🙈

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
please dont listen to me if your instructor has told you different,they are on the ground watching you live, its only my point of view , but what i see is no bending at the waist which was what i was taught in the dark ages so things may be different now. you are still looking pretty good to me and i love your horse...

Michen

Visit site
Nope, twas definitely you ;). And now you've made paddi swoon
Nope, twas definitely you ;). And now you've made paddi swoon
I’m blushing! It’s funny as I’ve always wanted to simply “survive” SJ as a means to an end to get to the XC (which has always been effortless in terms of striding etc). Now I actually want to improve myself rather than just get round..maybe that attitude will filter through to the dressage soon ;)

Michen

Visit site
please dont listen to me if your instructor has told you different,they are on the ground watching you live, its only my point of view , but what i see is no bending at the waist which was what ii was taught in the dark ages so things may be different now. you are still looking pretty good to me and i love your horse...

This was an instructor whose never seen us before, just at a clinic. Really welcome all thoughts and critiques! So perhaps my issue is not so much being too upright but being too solid through my body, where I’m still quite “frozen” in the saddle rather than moving with him? That would make sense as there’s definitely still lots of nerves there.

Thank you, he’s such a good egg, really helps me out all the time... honestly can’t think of a single time he’s ever taken advantage of my nerves.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
your description of frozen is very apt, but dont beat yourself up as otherwise you are doing well and pushing him forward so not frozen in your legs....

Michen

Visit site
your description of frozen is very apt, but dont beat yourself up as otherwise you are doing well and pushing him forward so not frozen in your legs....

Hopefully, one day I’ll get to the point where jumping an 80 course will seem tiny and I won’t feel afraid. But in all honesty I can’t rmemeber ever feeling like that so... we shall see! I’ll keep chugging away and hope that the nerves will eventually go and I’ll be able to reflect that in my riding. Thank you for the advice- much appreciated :)

Michen

Visit site
Ps I did try and shorten my stirrups as suggested on here but just couldn’t do it with duff ankle so had to drop them back down, need to practice at home more with them short and then build up the strength with it.

ihatework

Visit site
This was an instructor whose never seen us before, just at a clinic. Really welcome all thoughts and critiques! So perhaps my issue is not so much being too upright but being too solid through my body, where I’m still quite “frozen” in the saddle rather than moving with him? That would make sense as there’s definitely still lots of nerves there.

Thank you, he’s such a good egg, really helps me out all the time... honestly can’t think of a single time he’s ever taken advantage of my nerves.

That’s probably more the thing. I actually really like the way you stay upright between the fences, but over the fence you look a bit stiff. The fences aren’t big so you don’t need to be throwing yourself up his neck, but you could just bend a little more and get your bum back. Says IHW who doesn’t jump a twig these days 😜

ETA rewatching the video you are actually quite ‘long’ on a slight pony and until your ankle can support a shorter stirrup it actually might be quite tricky

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Michen I think your biggest problem is that you are 'too big' and Bog 'too small' to make the kind of picture that other people make when jumping. Bog is just like my friend's Connie, built like a sports car. Not a lot of depth or width to get your leg round. And you are a leggy whippet yourself.

I agree with IHW, until your ankle allows you to get your stirrups up a LOT shorter, you are going to struggle to present a more conventional picture than you do now. I think you're doing fine with what you've got 👌

As an example, in my avatar, my stirrups are eight holes shorter than my schooling length. It is actually surprisingly reassuring to have your thigh in front of you when approaching a fence, and I think it will also improve your nerves, it did mine.

When my nerves kicked in, I'd repeat a mantra I was told a long time ago 'look at the fence with the sole of your boot'. It stabilizes your leg and gives you something to think about other than the size of the fence! The other one I found very helpful was to look over the fence, not at it.

Hope some of that helps.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Much nicer picture :)
I wouldn't be worried about the fold over a fence atm for two reasons.
1) You aren't jumping big fences so don't need or have the air time to carry out the classic fold without throwing yourself over.
2) Until you can shorten your stirrups it just won't happen as the bend in the leg from shorter stirrups creates the balance point needed for the fold.
For me the next key area for you to work on is the turn in. All a bit rushed, motorbikey atm. Imagine you aren't allowed to change a thing after making the turn so no speed adjustment, no impulsion adjustment, no line adjustment. How much more would you do on that turn in then.
The turn should be used to no only give you the perfect line to the fence but also the opportunity to set up the spring required to jump the fence (impulsion) with the horse back on its hocks. If you get the turn in right then all you really need to do approaching the fence is sit quiet and monitor plus think about your next fence.
I will admit that once lined up to a fence I tend to forget about it and focus on what I need to do on landing. If your focus is all on the approach because the set up wasn't there then you have no think time for what needs to happen next.

ETA Start by using your outside leg more on the turn in. This will control the outside shoulder which is causing you a chunk of the turn in problems.

Oh and it was def you on the half halt. The point where you sit back between first and second element.

Last edited:

Lammy

Visit site
Ahhh now I’m confused though about being less upright. Before this round instructor told me my shoulders were too forward which was what was not helping re the twist and wrong striding. So made a conscious effort to get the shoulders back but that makes me too upright maybe?

Such a fine line eh..!!!

I had this problem before with my pony, my shoulders would come forward a bit too early which would unbalance her and she would stop. I really had to work on coming in as straight as a rod until she had taken off and then I could fold as much as I liked. Could this be what your instructor meant? If it’s not ignore me! :D

P.s. love boggle and you’ve done so well with him!