Eek, jumping critique/help, do your worst...

Michen

Visit site
Much nicer picture :)
I wouldn't be worried about the fold over a fence atm for two reasons.
1) You aren't jumping big fences so don't need or have the air time to carry out the classic fold without throwing yourself over.
2) Until you can shorten your stirrups it just won't happen as the bend in the leg from shorter stirrups creates the balance point needed for the fold.
For me the next key area for you to work on is the turn in. All a bit rushed, motorbikey atm. Imagine you aren't allowed to change a thing after making the turn so no speed adjustment, no impulsion adjustment, no line adjustment. How much more would you do on that turn in then.
The turn should be used to no only give you the perfect line to the fence but also the opportunity to set up the spring required to jump the fence (impulsion) with the horse back on its hocks. If you get the turn in right then all you really need to do approaching the fence is sit quiet and monitor plus think about your next fence.
I will admit that once lined up to a fence I tend to forget about it and focus on what I need to do on landing. If your focus is all on the approach because the set up wasn't there then you have no think time for what needs to happen next.

ETA Start by using your outside leg more on the turn in. This will control the outside shoulder which is causing you a chunk of the turn in problems.

Oh and it was def you on the half halt. The point where you sit back between first and second element.

That’s really interesting thank you! Great advice. So I think I pushed on around the corners too much as a showjumping instructor had his other rider doing that a few weeks ago, her thoughts was that he needed to power on around the bends as otherwise was at risk of loosing the canter impulsive for the bigger heights (the second lot of videos in original post; oxers at the back were between 1 and 1.10). Do you think he’s still too rushed etc in those? Obviously her riding is a lot more advanced in mine!

Yep re outside leg I’m terrible for using the inside rein and forgetting the outside shoulder on the turns. So much to think about!

Michen

Visit site
That’s probably more the thing. I actually really like the way you stay upright between the fences, but over the fence you look a bit stiff. The fences aren’t big so you don’t need to be throwing yourself up his neck, but you could just bend a little more and get your bum back. Says IHW who doesn’t jump a twig these days 😜

ETA rewatching the video you are actually quite ‘long’ on a slight pony and until your ankle can support a shorter stirrup it actually might be quite tricky

Thank you. Yes he doesn’t really take up my leg very well as he’s a slight little thing. That said his other jockey is very tall and manages just fine so I haven’t got an excuse really, once I can get my stirrups up. They are actually only a hole longer than I would usually have them for jumping, so I suspect I’ve always had them too long.
Michen I think your biggest problem is that you are 'too big' and Bog 'too small' to make the kind of picture that other people make when jumping. Bog is just like my friend's Connie, built like a sports car. Not a lot of depth or width to get your leg round. And you are a leggy whippet yourself.

I agree with IHW, until your ankle allows you to get your stirrups up a LOT shorter, you are going to struggle to present a more conventional picture than you do now. I think you're doing fine with what you've got 👌

As an example, in my avatar, my stirrups are eight holes shorter than my schooling length. It is actually surprisingly reassuring to have your thigh in front of you when approaching a fence, and I think it will also improve your nerves, it did mine.

When my nerves kicked in, I'd repeat a mantra I was told a long time ago 'look at the fence with the sole of your boot'. It stabilizes your leg and gives you something to think about other than the size of the fence! The other one I found very helpful was to look over the fence, not at it.

Hope some of that helps.

Ooooh yes I’ll remember that last bit in particular- thanks! Blimey my stirrups even with a normal ankle are only two holes different for dressage and jumping. Somewhat reflects my lack of ability for both 🙈

He’s never made me feel like I don’t have enough underneath me as such; but I do struggle with long stirrups in dressage when I need leg as my heels then come up to make contact...

Basil had a bit more too him depth wise, though actually had a lot less bone.

I had this problem before with my pony, my shoulders would come forward a bit too early which would unbalance her and she would stop. I really had to work on coming in as straight as a rod until she had taken off and then I could fold as much as I liked. Could this be what your instructor meant? If it’s not ignore me! :D

P.s. love boggle and you’ve done so well with him!

Thanks! He’s such a good boy, it always amazes me that despite how difficult he was when younger he’s nothing but genuine with jumping etc.

This thread is incredible - partly because Michen is taking it all so sensibly, and partly because of the expertise shared.

It almost makes one think about sharing their own videos - until they remember that Michen's starting point is an awful lot better than one's own ;)

Ha- I have some shocking videos I could share. Tweseldown SJ springs to mind, I rode appallingly. I really hope that I can control my nerves enough this season to not ride like that again!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Pushing round the corners is no problem as long he's straight and carrying his weight evenly. As you land from the triple you start to turn the front end and you and he forget the back end, so the outside hind falls out of his centre of balance, the inside hind goes with it (because it can't not), and once the inside hind is crossed under him it is no use biomechanically to push him forwards. So to keep momentum he has no choice but to throw his weight forwards onto the inside shoulder, hence the motorbike effect. And by that point neither your outside leg nor your outside rein has much ability to change the situation.

I used to be told that you have to completely commit to riding the hind legs so that you keep the horse in balance and can adjust it, which can be really blummin difficult when you've just come off a triple and quite frankly could do with a couple of strides just to regroup your thoughts

lannerch

Visit site
No advise from me , the general picture though looks very good, and remember a horse in a grid will often show a much better technique than jumping round a low sj course.

That is probably explains the difference in your horses technique between the video of you going round and the other jockey going down a grid .