EHV 1 Outbreak

AFB

Visit site
Is anybody able to start a petition on the Gov. website? I'd be happy to sign & share it but I haven't the technical skill to create it or the knowledge to write the explanation. I know it requires a lot of signatures to get it debated but it's such a major issue for the horse world everybody should get on board.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site

milliepops

Visit site
I’m struggling to see why movement of horses within the U.K. should be stopped? If moving between yards where no horses or vehicles have had been to Europe in last few months? Seems a bit disproportionate.
not my petition so dunno, just sharing it as it's popping up all over FB

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
That petition is too draconian atm. I won’t sign it. There’s a danger of getting multiple petitions up which dilutes the message and is counter productive.

The neurological and deadliest type of EHV1 is know spreading throughout the EU. To protect our equines in the UK we need to have all equine movements into the UK and within the UK halted until we are sure that the virus is under control to protect all of our equines. Please sing the petition and write to your MP urgently so that we can halt the spread of the virus to the UK.

milliepops

Visit site
There’s a danger of getting multiple petitions up which dilutes the message and is counter productive,

agreed
I haven't signed it either FWIW for the same reason, but having loads of different petitions is not a great plan either.

AFB

Visit site
I agree - we don't need to stop movement within the UK until there is a problem within the UK.

What we need is a coordinated response and action at point of entry. It absolutely should not and cannot be left to individuals to police themselves as business interests will always come first in the case of many.

ETA - that petition does demonstrate that people are aware and want action, despite many not signing it as it's not the 'right' action. A well worded and properly though through version could gain momentum even more quickly.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I agree - we don't need to stop movement within the UK until there is a problem within the UK.

What we need is a coordinated response and action at point of entry. It absolutely should not and cannot be left to individuals to police themselves as business interests will always come first in the case of many.

ETA - that petition does demonstrate that people are aware and want action, despite many not signing it as it's not the 'right' action. A well worded and properly though through version could gain momentum even more quickly.

So should we start a better worded petition? And collectively mass share it on Facebook? Between here and Facebook should be able to get far bit of reach.

teapot

Visit site
The UK response is certainly weak (to be expected, if we can't react to Covid promptly then EHV1 isn't going to get a look in) - can anybody explain simply why it's not a notifiable disease where DEFRA are concerned? Are their criteria only if it's going to damage the farming industry or transmissible to humans?

Have you read the new rules/guidance by BS? I'm not sure what else they can do at the moment.

As for DEFRA, not necessarily as West Nile, Swamp Fever and EVA are on the list.

sport horse

Visit site
There are a lot of people campaigning on this - hence the BS announcement. There are many horses already back in the UK from Spain in the last day or so and a lot more on the way. The regaulations rely largely on the people concerned obeying them - it is pretty impossible to police. A big danger are the many horses being imported to dealers etc and being carried by transporters - they will disappear into many yards. It is known who the competitors are, they have been contacted and will no doubt be watched!

There are now two cases in Doha - horses that competed in Vilamoura before flying to Doha on a plane full of horses - please pray for a miracle there.

The more alert everyone is, the more everyone is watching the behaviourof others (sorry but necessary for the health of our own horses) the better the chance of keeping this under control. The pictures and reports from Vilamoura are truly stressing and we sympathise with all those trapped there.

Visit site
It's very concerning. I an lucky that I keep my horses at home and there is only mine here so risk is minimal but I do work freelance. I will be avoiding working anywhere that competes (when lockdown is lifted) if this turns into a national catastrophe for the sake of my own horses.