Electric fence best tape???

equestriangal

Visit site
What’s the best brand/type of tape? Also, what’s the best thickness? Is it stronger if it’s thicker or does it make no difference?
Thanks

Nasicus

Visit site
Having used tape for years, I recently covered to good quality 6mm rope and it's like night and day in terms of appearance, conduction and keeping-horses-in-the-right-place-ability compared to tape.

Tarragon

Visit site
I use rope as we are on a hill and the rope copes better with the wind. If you go for rope, i would suggest that you choose posts that have the fittings that take rope as it is a real pain to squeeze rope through gaps designed for tape!

Follysmum

Visit site
I have recently re done all
My tape with rope. Tape stretches and flaps in the wind. I think rope looks smarter and lasts longer.

Nasicus

Visit site
Can you use tape and wire together?
You mean tape and rope? Wire is something else and isn't recommended for use with horses in place of tape or rope.

But yes, you can use tape and rope together, you could do a line in tape and then another line in rope, or even combine the two using special connectors, but you might find a drop in the power of the zap it gives unless you ensure there is as little resistance per meter difference between the rope and tape used.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Mine are on a hill and I use tape :p
Just to buck the trend. I hate rope, seen too many injuries from it though I know it works for other people.

I find you get what you pay for with tape, the more expensive densely woven stuff is way better, I have some 10mm and some 20mm stuff and it's all pretty decent.

equestriangal

Visit site
You mean tape and rope? Wire is something else and isn't recommended for use with horses in place of tape or rope.

But yes, you can use tape and rope together, you could do a line in tape and then another line in rope, or even combine the two using special connectors, but you might find a drop in the power of the zap it gives unless you ensure there is as little resistance per meter difference between the rope and tape used.
Sorry yes I meant rope not wire!

vhf

Visit site
I have thick rope at field margins, and tape in the middles. The rope copes better with wind and long-term set-ups, but the tape is far more visible. The wind is a constant problem with the tape on plastic poles, I resort to taking it down if it's due to go over 40mph for any length of time as it ends up everywhere anyway.

Carrottom

Visit site
I prefer the 10mm tape as it it visible but doesn't catch the wind as much as the 20mm. I tend to go for mid price range and replace it after about 3 years.

Finlib

Visit site
we have just changed over to rope on wooden posts for main field divides as tape gets baggy flaps and frays the rope is much tighter and stronger,We still have tape as secondary fence on the perimeter where there is thick hedging it is just to keep them from leaning into the hedges and damaging the wooden posts and rails.there is not much wind on it due to the thick hedging.
The power company replaced some telegraph poles and did some damage so the compensation paid enough to cover the cost of replacing all the tape on the dividing fences.

Fanatical

Visit site
I use the wide tape. Yes, it will loosen in the really high winds which means a bit of work tightening it all, but would never use the new fashionable rope version due to the potential injuries caused. When horses play/ fight over the fence and strike out, the tape gives with much less risk of damage to the horse. I have had one reasonably bad friction burn from a horse getting tape round his leg - heaven knows how bad it would have been if it had been the rope.

meleeka

Visit site
I use 20mm. I did have some extra strong stuff but can’t find it anymore. I tend to buy cheap from UK cointrystore (2 pack) and replace every couple of years.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I use the wide tape. Yes, it will loosen in the really high winds which means a bit of work tightening it all, but would never use the new fashionable rope version due to the potential injuries caused. When horses play/ fight over the fence and strike out, the tape gives with much less risk of damage to the horse. I have had one reasonably bad friction burn from a horse getting tape round his leg - heaven knows how bad it would have been if it had been the rope.

well its about knowing your horses and your set up. I wouldnt use tape or rope to divide horses that are likely to play over a fence personally, having had horses likely to do it. mine always have company and generally horses only challenge fences if they are kept too hungry. rope is far more useful where I live where pretty much anything acts like a sail, with tape stretching so easily in any amount of wind it leads to loose fencing which is far more dangerous.

I've seen bad injuries from pretty much all types of fencing, its about keeping your fencing right for the conditions, managing your horses properly and a good dose of luck.

Kramer has some blue and yellow rope, much more visible than other stuff I've seen-I have it for running along top of post and wire, as a divide while strip grazing and a 40m x 40m wooden post and poly post corral. pleased with it so far-been using rope for a decade with no issues.

Fanatical

Visit site
well its about knowing your horses and your set up. horses only challenge fences if they are kept too hungry. .

I think mine do it when they are too full - not sure it's possible for them to go hungry with the amount of grass we have! We have way too much grass rather than too little. Just have quite a few playful, competition types. Horses will be horses. As you say, we all need an element of luck.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I think mine do it when they are too full - not sure it's possible for them to go hungry with the amount of grass we have! We have way too much grass rather than too little. Just have quite a few playful, competition types. Horses will be horses. As you say, we all need an element of luck.

I am glad I dont have types that are that playful anymore tbh-after a couple of lusitanos who thought fence hopping and play fighting was the perfect past-time, along with removing rugs/fly masks/muzzles off of the others several times a day seemingly! still, they did help keep the weight off my won't-expend-any-more-energy-than-I-have-to natives..

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
In this order:
Fieldguard wide tape
Rope
Std tape

I have Fieldguard tape on 2 boundaries, its been up since the 80's and STILL does a good job - runs on the top of the fences.
I replaced this on the 3rd boundary after a tree came down on it 2 years ago and broke it, wish I hadn't at all and just rejoined it - as its already breaking filaments, stretched etc, grr!

Fanatical

Visit site
I am glad I dont have types that are that playful anymore tbh-after a couple of lusitanos who thought fence hopping and play fighting was the perfect past-time, along with removing rugs/fly masks/muzzles off of the others several times a day seemingly! still, they did help keep the weight off my won't-expend-any-more-energy-than-I-have-to natives..

Ah yes we have a couple who remove fly masks and muzzles too! Have one who actively goes over to her neighbour whenever she wants her muzzle removing! LOL Never a dull moment! Thankfully haven't had any field hopping.... (touching wood!)

Nudibranch

Visit site
Have also used rope for years with no problems but then I don't use it to separate horses.
Biggest fencing related injury I have dealt with was when my TB decided to run through post and rail. Severed an artery and a tendon. If they're going to be stupid with fencing it doesn't really matter what you use.

Mister Ted

Visit site
I think the white tape is safer as it more visible to the horse in bad weather or a panic.Race horse stable near me use this too.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
i much prefer the rope. Our latest reel is bright white, so just as visible as tape. Rope does break in an emergency, but not as easily as tape if youve got a leaner! i got fed up of having to put twpe back up, snd finding it on the floor near their feet.

HashRouge

Visit site
I've used rope and tape. I think rope lasts longer, although I got some extra thick tape last time so hoping that will last a bit better. It was expensive, so it had better! Mine respect the fencing so long as it is electrified so I don't have issues with them leaning over it. I still use a load of ancient rope for my anti-crib biting fencing - it runs along the top of all my posts.