Electric wheelbarrows - anyone got one?

Marigold4

Visit site
Didn't even know these existed until today! I have to push heavy wheelbarrows full of manure up a hill and in the winter, it's hard work. It's just me poo picking for 4 horses. Field drains well and doesn't get poached. It would also be useful for transporting hay and feeds. Anyone got one? Are they worth the money?

quizzie

Visit site
Yes....best thing I have bought in years....mind you , I bought it for a very good price secondhand on gumtree...it's a Sherpa battery powered wheelbarrow.
There is no way I could push a full barrow uphill these days, my knees hips and back are shot to hell!
It can be a bit unstable on rutted ground as high centre of gravity, and doesn't grip that well on loose sand, but I love mine!,

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
OH has a heavy duty one for carrying stones and building materials about and it's brilliant. You can get wheeled ones or tracked ones for wetter ground.

Marigold4

Visit site

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I have the Makita one with the flatbed on it (with a handy bit of hardboard to stop hay falling through) rather than the barrow fitting. I couldn't hay the horses without it. They don't mind it and the cat likes to ride on it, so it's all good. :) ETA - it has good lights too.

MAKDCU180Z.jpg

meleeka

Visit site
i really want one but the price has put me off so far. I do have an old ride on mower with a trailer for poo picking fields and it’s useful but also no good at going up the hill to the dung heap and it doesn’t work in mud.

cauda equina

Visit site
Th Smartwiel doesn't look as if the front wheel has a very grippy tyre; I can imagine it just spinning in mud
Something that was at least 2 wheel drive would probably work better

Marigold4

Visit site
I have the Makita one with the flatbed on it (with a handy bit of hardboard to stop hay falling through) rather than the barrow fitting. I couldn't hay the horses without it. They don't mind it and the cat likes to ride on it, so it's all good. :) ETA - it has good
This one looks good! Do you think it could cope with pushing a barrow of manure over soft ground (it doesn't get poached and rutted, just a bit soggy). Does it have a tipping function so i would only have to tip the barrow not the whole thing?

Marigold4

Visit site
I was talking to my OH about these only recently...This one looks far more reasonable in cost terms but no idea what it is like. Currently v tempted!! https://www.accu-wheelbarrow.co.uk/#advantages-of-smartwiel
I liked that one then looked at some reviews of it from builders and doesn't seem to have the ooomph needed. Also want one with a barrow that tips. I liked the fact that the Smartwiel one just looks like an ordinary barrow so less likelt to get nicked!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
This one looks good! Do you think it could cope with pushing a barrow of manure over soft ground (it doesn't get poached and rutted, just a bit soggy). Does it have a tipping function so i would only have to tip the barrow not the whole thing?

Yes it tips. There is a clip by the batteries. I haven't tried it yet though.

I have to take hay up to the winter field and that involves going through the sand school and then up a gentle hill/slope through a paddock, into the winter field and to the hay feeder (reasonably flat ground for this bit). As you can imagine it was a bit muddy with all the rain this winter. It did it fine though and bar a couple of areas that needed an extra push up a wet, slippy bit, it did all the work. I did find that it was better to do two medium loads rather than one massive, super heavy one. I did tip it over once when moving sacks of horse feed as I turned too tightly. Ooops!

Marigold4

Visit site
Thanks. That's really useful. Apart from the expense, I worry it will get stolen but I guess I have to accept the risk and just insure it

Marigold4

Visit site
I have the Makita one with the flatbed on it (with a handy bit of hardboard to stop hay falling through) rather than the barrow fitting. I couldn't hay the horses without it. They don't mind it and the cat likes to ride on it, so it's all good. :) ETA - it has good lights too.

MAKDCU180Z.jpg
I've gone mad and bought one like this but with a bucket. Very, very excited. Found a very good price with free delivery! I can't wait ... it is going to revolutionise my horse life (hopefully).

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I've gone mad and bought one like this but with a bucket. Very, very excited. Found a very good price with free delivery! I can't wait ... it is going to revolutionise my horse life (hopefully).

What fun! Looking forward to reading how it goes. Am very tempted but spent far too much lately and can't (really...) justify it as the horses are out and D does the poo picking...