EMERGENCY!! sick 5 year old

Nettle123

Visit site

Have you read all the posts ???

Choke is terrifying to see and as previous posters mentioned can happen again. We had an elderly pony that had it a few times. We ended up always feeding him very sloppy mush and having a large smooth stone in his feed bucket to slow him down.

Hopefully your pony will be better this morning, certainly antibiotics can be administered by your Vet if they think their is any danger of pneumonia. As an equine Vet the practice will have seen this many times and will refer you if they think its necessary.

Nothing wrong with asking for support from the forum as well as taking veterinary advice, I have had some great help in the past doing the same thing.

weesophz

www.facebook.com
Have you read all the posts ???

Choke is terrifying to see and as previous posters mentioned can happen again. We had an elderly pony that had it a few times. We ended up always feeding him very sloppy mush and having a large smooth stone in his feed bucket to slow him down.

Hopefully your pony will be better this morning, certainly antibiotics can be administered by your Vet if they think their is any danger of pneumonia. As an equine Vet the practice will have seen this many times and will refer you if they think its necessary.

Nothing wrong with asking for support from the forum as well as taking veterinary advice, I have had some great help in the past doing the same thing.

i hadnt before i posted no, which i should have done, but my old pony suffered choke a couple of times and i know how scary it is, and posting online wasnt even on my mind..

that said im glad the pony is doing better, keep us posted.

Jesstickle

Visit site
Hey OP. Hope your neddy is feeling lots better this morning :)

I think you did very well not to lose your rag over some of the replies on this thread :rolleyes: You're a more tolerant person than me that's for sure :eek:

unicorndreams

Visit site
Hope your horsey is much better this morning. My mare occasionally gets minor choke which clears itself with a little massage so I know how worrying it is. It may be worth assessing what you feed as some small changes in the feed content, mix or even the way you feed it can help horses prone to choke.
My horse has to have her feeds well dampened, soaked sugar beet and some 'long' chaff to encourage her to chew it properly, a small chopped carrot as she spends time picking the pieces out first which slows her down too. I feed her haylage from the floor and she has a large trug of water which she likes to dunk her haylage in - whether she's smart enough to know that helps her swallow it or if its a moisture/flavour thing, I don't know but that's what she prefers!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Hey OP. Hope your neddy is feeling lots better this morning :)

I think you did very well not to lose your rag over some of the replies on this thread :rolleyes: You're a more tolerant person than me that's for sure :eek:

Some of the post early in the thread where some of the most insensitive I have seen on here .
In OP's original post her shock and loneliness was clear many of of us know that feeling when things with horses go from normal to imminent disaster in a minute.
She was alone with the horse watching and was looking for support and some of the posts were unkind.
She did everything right she got a vet she was uncertain amd unhappy with what the vet had said and her lack of trust was clear in her posts, thats the correct thing to do when told something that feels wrong by a vet you is to seek other views.
That's what she did.
In the end the vet did sort it but seeking advice on here including from Glenruby who is a vet from people on here might have given her the confidence to stand up to a vet not handling something well and that can only be a good thing.
If she had posted and said my horse is doing x what should I do that's one thing but she had had the vet and that is something different.

OP I hope your horse is doing ok post when you can , I hope you got some sleep and are feeling ok this morning something like that is a terrible shock it really shakes you up for a while.

micki

Visit site
Hope your horse is doing well this morning and you can start to relax a bit now. It must have been very scary.
It sounds like you did everything you could for your horse and then came on here asking for a bit of extra advice, not a slating. Some of the comments you had on here last night were very rude and not called for. You were needing some support and some of the members on here were far from supportive but some were brilliant i'm glad to say.
Some members should hang their heads in shame :mad:.

Christsam

Visit site
I agree. I only saw this thread this morning and some posts were unfair on the OP. She had had the vet out and was asking for advice on what to do next, she was not asking what she should do without calling a vet. Hope ponio is much better this morning :)

Love

Visit site
Goldenstar - you took the words right out of my mouth!

OP - hope horsie is much better do keep us updated wont you. It's always horrible to hear things go wrong like this I can assure you we are all thinking of you both x

Achinghips

Visit site
Hope your horsey is much better this morning. My mare occasionally gets minor choke which clears itself with a little massage so I know how worrying it is. It may be worth assessing what you feed as some small changes in the feed content, mix or even the way you feed it can help horses prone to choke.
My horse has to have her feeds well dampened, soaked sugar beet and some 'long' chaff to encourage her to chew it properly, a small chopped carrot as she spends time picking the pieces out first which slows her down too. I feed her haylage from the floor and she has a large trug of water which she likes to dunk her haylage in - whether she's smart enough to know that helps her swallow it or if its a moisture/flavour thing, I don't know but that's what she prefers!

Unicorndreams is right it is worth assessing what it is you feed. Not sure about how she slices her carrots but it's worth noting that carrots are useful to be fed whole or sliced lengthways, rather than as small discs, as otherwise they can be easy to get stuck in the windpipes, especially if you have a fast eater, who tends to bolt food:).

OP awaiting an update, hope the night has seen you less anxious this morning x

maree t

Visit site
Morning, hope you and the horse are a bit better this morning.
I have helped somebody with choke once (not my horse, somebody left it in a field with unsoaked suger beet they were feeding cattle) it was darn scarey,
I hope that all is better and will be watching to see when you have time.
I have asked for help when I was worried on the dog section and did get a mixture of replies tbh but most are supportive so stick with it

edgedem

Visit site
Hi all,
Pony is doing well, I don't know If she is feeling poorly still or just annoyed that I've kept her locked in stable with no food all night! Her old self is coming back by the minute it seems, she certainly having an interesting chat with her shettie best friend.. Probably cursing me!

So fr trickle feeding her a little at a time for past 4 hours. Not choked yet.

I feed her horsehage high fire low calorie vacuum packaged haulage stuff and good doper low calorie mix. Which is just like a short mixed chop. But she's been taken to hedges lately and electric fence seems to be ignored. She needed to lose weight but now I feel she may need more food! Ill asses that one for sure.

Vet has said trickle feed all day and let her out this evening when we know she's doing better.

Don't know what else to do now but wait? She's really hungry so if I let her out she wil gorge and if I keep her in she's getting stressed. Difficult really

Thanks again for everyone's support, this is my first horse and my first emergency so it was difficult. I always thought this was a friendly community and still do, despite some more "heavy handed" responses,

Thank all :)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
She's less likely to choke on grass than what you're feeding her - so personally I'd turn out.

But of course, you must follow veterinary advice for your horse.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
OP - really glad your little cob is looking better this morning. Hope she continues to pick up. They really do like to worry us sometimes and those lonely small hours of the morning can be hard to get through. xx

Could be your clue to the occasional choking.......

A carrot ? even small chopped, they are a big risk food for choke aren't they ?

I was always taught to slice carrots lengthwise rather than chop them crossways for this reason.

edgedem

Visit site
Amymay that is what thought, but then your in the catch 22 of what you think and trained professionals! I mean she is alive and I honestly thought by the state of her she wouldn't be, and she's had anti biotics and everything else suggested so I think the vet must know something so ill stick to it for now, see how she's doing my the afternoon and may turn her out then

Tnavas

Visit site
edgedem thats great news. Having just recently had one of mine with choke and seen the amouont of saliva that pours out of nostrils and mouth its really quite frightening.

Mine fortunately was only mild and cleared in a couple of hours.

micki

Visit site
Good to hear that your horse is doing well now. Hope that she continues to pick up now and go back out tonight as the vet has said.

kiskadee

Visit site
So glad she is doing better lets hope she continues to improve. You are doing all the right things (but I know you must be worn out!) Just keep monitoring her. She is probably stressed not only with being in but all the stress of last night with the choke but following the vets advice is the best thing even if she protests a bit. They all seem to when having to stay in!! Just a query really for later on when she is better was wondering when she last had her teeth rasped last if its over 6 months may be worth a check. Choke is very frightening to both owner and horse so well done for keeping you head. Cross fingers all going in the right direction.

edgedem

Visit site
Kiskadee I've only had her 4 moths, when I first got her vet looked over her teeth and said they r in very good condition,but things can change quickly so that's a good point. Il get the dentist out to take a look.. Thanks :)

Achinghips

Visit site
Don't turn her out to grass, she will gorge. Follow your vets advice and trickle feed - so glad to hear she's on the mend, choke can be horrific to watch X