EMERGENCY!! sick 5 year old

kiskadee

Visit site
Ring Spillers nutrional helpline and ask the girls there, explain the choke ect and see what they say. I use thier high fibre low energy cubes for my lot that I think would mash with hot water but best to check with them. Sorry don't have their no to hand. You could perhaps pick her a bit of grass as well. Hope this helps

joeanne

Visit site
After my mare was treated for choke her neck swelled drastically. She had swelling the size of a small football after about three days from the time she was tubed, and that lasted almost a month before it dispersed.
She was fed Fast Fibre that was so sloppy it resembled gruel.
She was also put on a course of antibiotics to cover the potential lung infection, and it was a good week before she was anything like her normal self.
That said she is a chuffing great wimp, and does not do pain/cold/wet/......
Glad to hear your mare is a lot better today. You can now breathe easy and go have a double whisky or summat!

Nicnac

Visit site
OP - glad to read that ponio is on the mend - must have been very worrying :(

I know how frustrating it is when peeps jump in without having read any updates from an OP, but lots of really good advice and support on here!

edgedem

Visit site
Joeanne hahaha a quadruple whiskey the minute I'm 1000% sure she's ok! Then ill pass out I think. 3 hours sleep in the field doesn't really equal a nice nights sleep!
Goin to look at fast fibre. I'm picking grass and giving teeny bits of hi fi soaked.. Vet said trickle feed haylage so she's getting a little of that too. Tbh I can't believe how lucky I am, she's just so damn tough! Back to normal straight away.. Well on the outside I'm sill keeping a very close eye.
Right now she is hating being shut in though which is breaking my heart :(

Silmarillion

Visit site
I'm glad your horse is getting better now, OP. My mare was a chronic choker until we lost her to colic last year. Other than grass, she couldn't have anything solid including hay or haylage. She lived on Fast Fibre for her tea, and we had started her on Simple Systems Lucie Cobs as a hay replacer for the winter. Thankfully, in a way, the colic claimed her before we had to do that for more than a month, but that was the plan - anything very well soaked. Good luck.

edgedem

Visit site
Joeanne hahaha a quadruple whiskey the minute I'm 1000% sure she's ok! Then ill pass out I think. 3 hours sleep in the field doesn't really equal a nice nights sleep!
Goin to look at fast fibre. I'm picking grass and giving teeny bits of hi fi soaked.. Vet said trickle feed haylage so she's getting a little of that too. Tbh I can't believe how lucky I am, she's just so damn tough! Back to normal straight away.. Well on the outside I'm sill keeping a very close eye.
Right now she is hating being shut in though which is breaking my heart :(

Oberon

Visit site
Bless you.

I've been there a couple of times before. Sat watching and waiting to see if they will survive.

I can deal with all kinds of medical emergencies with humans with complete calm - but I turn into jelly around the horses :eek:.

Linseed (as well as other things) is helpful to lubricate the gullet as it becomes 'snotty' when soaked.

http://www.charnwoodmilling.co.uk/mail-order/Horse_Food.html#a55

Glad she is doing better :).

be positive

Visit site
I am pleased she is on the mend, you must have had a horrid night, she will hate being shut in but it is for the best of reasons, she will forgive you.

Soft soaked feeds such as fast fibre will give her throat a rest but get the necessary fibre into her, hope she continues to improve and will soon be back to her old self.

MochaDun

Visit site
So glad it's resolved itself OK and things looking much better. What a horrible night for you, I know how anxious I was about my horse in the early months of just having him let alone going through something like that! If that's her in your pic she's beautiful :) Could have been something out the hedge maybe, ours have been eating goodness knows what out the hedges in their summer field at the moment as field is so wet and like a bog but thankfully go over to new field tomorrow.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Fast fibre would be perfect I think for a good doer recovering from choke.
I am so glad its turned out ok I was really worried for you last night , in my mind I imagined you all on your own in the stable worried sick ( you probally had friends there but in my mind that's how I saw it).
Hope the recovery is smooth and trouble free welcome to world of owning and worrying about your own horse.

edgedem

Visit site
MochaDun thank goodness it's not just my horse that has an obsession with hedges even though she has food!

And thank you Goldenstar.. I was out for while once she was settling but I did have my amazing OH (who rapidly repaired the stable floor for her!) and a brilliant mom and dad that came with power tools and soup!

They won't let us live it down though... "Your hobby affects the whole bloody family!" But I know he likes her really :)

Got OH on way with mushy food mix now :) pony WILL be pleased!

mynutmeg

Visit site
So pleased she's doing much better :D:D:D:D:D:D

Even so do keep an eye on her temperature and her general behaviour in case she has a pneumonia brewing - it can show up to 10 days later I was told. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, I know exactly where you were last night as I was there a couple of months ago, but just keep a super close eye on her for the next week or two.

Feed wise my girl was started back onto really sloppy feed at the vet school, the sort of thing I would use would be soaked grass nuts, they make a nutrious slop that they can drink and you can gradually thicken it and add grass in.

edgedem

Visit site
Thanks mynutmeg. I am keeping a very close. Hopefully anti biotics will kick anything before it starts. Don't want another scare! I've got some fast fibre so hopefully she can will be ok with that :) x

MileAMinute

Visit site
So glad your horse is on the mend, OP.

My lad got it a few months ago, he escaped out of his stable and found an opened bag of sugarbeet (don't ask, idiotic liveries!). He got choke and it was awful to watch. I was advised to keep walking him and the sputum and bits of sugar beet that were being hacked out were horrific. The wheezing/yelp of pain he made as he was coughing broke my heart too.
Vet came and gave relaxant and tubed him and he'd cleared a lot alone, but I thought he was dying, wouldn't accept vet's diagnosis and being told he was going to be fine and it chilled me to the bone.

Afterwards he had soaked hay and some bran mash, and was allowed to be back out after 24hrs boxrest.

Marydoll

Visit site
Thanks mynutmeg. I am keeping a very close. Hopefully anti biotics will kick anything before it starts. Don't want another scare! I've got some fast fibre so hopefully she can will be ok with that :) x

Ah this has just answered my question, im sure the antibis will do their job and its good youre keeping a close eye on her, hopefully a full recovery :)