England COVID restrictions update

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Good news, the Government have updated the main government guidance for England.

Section 4 - Businesses and venues that must close

- no longer includes Riding centres and stables

Section 11 Travel

. . . Can and should travel for a number of reasons, including:

- care and exercise of a pet, or veterinary services.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november

Last edited:

bouncing_ball

Visit site
The guidance is only a summary - the propsed law still requires stables to close.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1200/contents/made

The law gives the following exception for stables closure:

“ Exception 10: Animal welfare
(14) Exception 10 is that it is reasonably necessary for P to leave or be outside P’s home—
(a)to attend veterinary services to seek advice about the health and welfare of a pet or other animal owned or cared for by P, or for the treatment of such a pet or animal;

(b)to attend to the care of or exercise of a pet or other animal owned or cared for by P.”

teapot

Visit site
The law gives the following exception for stables closure:

“ Exception 10: Animal welfare
(14) Exception 10 is that it is reasonably necessary for P to leave or be outside P’s home—
(a)to attend veterinary services to seek advice about the health and welfare of a pet or other animal owned or cared for by P, or for the treatment of such a pet or animal;

(b)to attend to the care of or exercise of a pet or other animal owned or cared for by P.”

Yards were never going to close for welfare reasons; the law ie that pdf still means riding schools etc will close, under leisure restrictons.

However the training centres may well get away with continuing under the education provision requirement.

maya2008

Visit site
I have read the whole thing (as in, the legislation not abridged versions) and you can still ride to exercise (your own horse or one you care for), and you can still care for your animal. Meetings on private land are also still allowed for education or training or for work purposes. So a lesson would be permitted (I would guess 1:1) and to care for and ride your horse would be permitted. If you are worried, don’t read part of it or listen to other people, read it all yourself!

I tutor, one of my students has additional needs and cannot do online lessons. They will still be coming to me - it is definitely allowed and we cannot do her lesson online. This lockdown is not as strict as the last one!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Seems pretty clear. The initial lockdown was difficult because no one had ever experienced anything like this before and the government was trying to cover the needs and lifestyles of a whole nation. Unlike countries like South Korea and Hong Kong, whose people had already lived through SARS and MERS, we were total newbies.

Lockdown will be difficult for the self employed and small businesses and it will be terrible for those needing cancer treatment, transplants etc. I just hope the NHS can respond a bit better than they have so far. These are the people who need the support of us all to follow the rules and prevent this escalating out of control.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Seems pretty clear. The initial lockdown was difficult because no one had ever experienced anything like this before and the government was trying to cover the needs and lifestyles of a whole nation. Unlike countries like South Korea and Hong Kong, whose people had already lived through SARS and MERS, we were total newbies.

Lockdown will be difficult for the self employed and small businesses and it will be terrible for those needing cancer treatment, transplants etc. I just hope the NHS can respond a bit better than they have so far. These are the people who need the support of us all to follow the rules and prevent this escalating out of control.
The nhs has been a limping cripple of a sacred cow for years -COVID has just highlighted it. They blather on about breaching capacity as it’s something new and unheard of but Was a normal every day occurrence even prior to covid ...

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The nhs has been a limping cripple of a sacred cow for years -COVID has just highlighted it. They blather on about breaching capacity as it’s something new and unheard of but Was a normal every day occurrence even prior to covid ...

Because hospitals are not allowed to have any spare bed capacity in normal times. That seems ridiculous to me.

Chianti

Visit site

I think the fact that the Tories have cut the number of beds drastically might have something to do with capacity issues.

Bubblewrap

Visit site
So reading all through BHS guidelines, I can still travel to have a lesson with my trainer? At the weekend we were unsure, so I decided not to go until December, but reading that I can go.

whiteflower

Visit site
I have read the whole thing (as in, the legislation not abridged versions) and you can still ride to exercise (your own horse or one you care for), and you can still care for your animal. Meetings on private land are also still allowed for education or training or for work purposes. So a lesson would be permitted (I would guess 1:1) and to care for and ride your horse would be permitted. If you are worried, don’t read part of it or listen to other people, read it all yourself!

I tutor, one of my students has additional needs and cannot do online lessons. They will still be coming to me - it is definitely allowed and we cannot do her lesson online. This lockdown is not as strict as the last one!

I've just read through it best I can, in relation to training it refers to conditions in other parts of the act but I am unable to find them, are you able to link to these subsections you have read which seem to be conditions linked to 'teaching' ??

whiteflower

Visit site
So reading all through BHS guidelines, I can still travel to have a lesson with my trainer? At the weekend we were unsure, so I decided not to go until December, but reading that I can go.

I don't believe the BHS have updated their advice yet have they ? (Or has this literally just happened ?) Last update I saw this afternoon was they were still waiting to put out their guidance

teapot

Visit site

They haven't updated yet! Nothing on the BHS website relates to 5th Nov onwards.

Bubblewrap

Visit site
Thank you, we had left it until December at the minute, but will follow to see if there is any clarification. Seemed to have missed so much this year, would be nice to still be able to go but only if allowed.

SO1

Visit site
You are allowed to travel to exercise a pet and stables are no longer on the list of places that have to shut.

On that basis I think I can go to yard to exercise my pony tomorrow.

Gave my horse an extra kiss tonight. Still don’t know if I will be seeing him tomorrow or in December :(

Griffin

Visit site
Gave my horse an extra kiss tonight. Still don’t know if I will be seeing him tomorrow or in December :(

I feel like this too. Last time, my YO let any livery see their horse on the basis of welfare e.g. owner checking their welfare and riding if necessary. However, they are being much more cagey this time around but if I am banned, I will find another yard after lockdown part 2 and do DIY.

I find the comments online that people who are on part/full livery don't need to see their horses really upsetting. There are many reasons why someone doesn't do DIY e.g. job which has uncertain hours. It doesn't mean an owner love their horse less.

lannerch

Visit site
I feel like this too. Last time, my YO let any livery see their horse on the basis of welfare e.g. owner checking their welfare and riding if necessary. However, they are being much more cagey this time around but if I am banned, I will find another yard after lockdown part 2 and do DIY.

I find the comments online that people who are on part/full livery don't need to see their horses really upsetting. There are many reasons why someone doesn't do DIY e.g. job which has uncertain hours. It doesn't mean an owner love their horse less.
We need to remember livery owners do not restrict access for their own good they do it for the safety of everyone, whether or not this is necessary is a different matter but they are trying to do the right thing. To say you will move your horse If access is restricted I find a little shallow and ridiculously selfish there are worse things happening out there like people never seeing their loved ones again, businesses going down , people loosing jobs etc.

Winters100

Visit site

I don't think that anyone believes that those with horses on full or part livery love them any less. Mine are on part livery, everything done except for riding them, although they can be put to carousel. I adore my ponies, I would however have to concede that if,where I am, there is a lockdown that allows only 'essential care' then I could not honestly say that it would be within the rules for me to attend the yard, because they have everything they need, and I am not the only person who can care for them.

fredflop

Visit site
I don't think that anyone believes that those with horses on full or part livery love them any less. Mine are on part livery, everything done except for riding them, although they can be put to carousel. I adore my ponies, I would however have to concede that if,where I am, there is a lockdown that allows only 'essential care' then I could not honestly say that it would be within the rules for me to attend the yard, because they have everything they need, and I am not the only person who can care for them.

some people appear to. As I’ve said before in the last lockdown we were allowed to ride at the yard, if careful. DIY’ers interpreted that meant only they could ride and got the hump when full livery turned up to ride.

cold_feet

Visit site

Attachments

• D488CD2F-3B23-451F-9CC5-4047FE254BAA.png
    D488CD2F-3B23-451F-9CC5-4047FE254BAA.png
    284.3 KB · Views: 3

maya2008

Visit site
They changed the guidelines yesterday - great for horse owners, less great for the poor child I teach who now cannot come and get the help they need unless we decide to become linked childcare families... and the masks rule for schools has been updated at the last minute!

Law is the same though, the guidelines have added in a lot extra...whether they are legally enforceable, who knows?!

Honestly, this government couldn’t organise the simplest thing, the guidelines and legislation contradict themselves! Brexit will be fun if this is how they organise things!